Combined delay and reverb pedal?

What's Hot
Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
Hi fellas,

So I'm looking for a pedal that can do both reverb and delay for my small pedalboard. What I use 90% of the time is a plate reverb and an echoplex type delay (think EVH), but it would be great if the reverb side could do a bit more ambient and space'y stuff as well. Not hugely into those shimmery, crazy "larger than life" types of reverb that has this octave stardust thing going on. 

I was considering the original Keeley Caverns (the V2 doesn't have plate reverb), but I've heard some mixed reviews. I have owned the Strymon El Capistan, which is absolutely brilliant but unfortunately the reverb part of it is not independent. There will always be a bit of slapback delay that you cannot dial out. I will definitely consider the El Cap again if no better options turn up, though.

If I had unlimited space on my board and unlimited funds I would definitely have gone with the El Cap and Flint, which I used to own, but I'm trying to fit my basic fx needs on a Pedaltrain Nano and one Strymon pedal is all I can fit on there unless I'm going go down the rabbit hole of trying to find smaller replacements for the other pedals... The Bogner La Grange is the largest one, and it's huge but it's totally worth the space it's taking up so I have no intention of replacing it. 

Cheers guys! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Boss RV-3, if you don't need to be able to footswitch the reverb and delay on and off independently - you have to use the Mode knob and usually re-set the other controls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that's way too cumbersome to be of any practical use for me. If it's too much of a hassle to switch I would just eventually end up not using the pedal at all... In the El Cap, though both effects cannot be used entirely independently, it's very simple to dial in or out the reverb particularly with a separate favourite switch. 
  • I've had the Caverns and it's a great pedal, though it is designed for big space and ambient type reverb. The shimmer can stay fairly subtle if you don't like it, however the other 2 setting are great as well and the modulated setting was almost as good as the fabled boss rv5.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I was looking for a delay reverb. @joetele ; will be able to give you a different type of use, but I know he's been impressed with it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited September 2018
    The Boss RV500 has a facility to add echo onto any of the reverb functions by pressing one footswitch. Very versatile pedal with myriads of sound options and routing paths.....it's not exactly small though
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    preston61 said:
    I've had the Caverns and it's a great pedal, though it is designed for big space and ambient type reverb. The shimmer can stay fairly subtle if you don't like it, however the other 2 setting are great as well and the modulated setting was almost as good as the fabled boss rv5.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I was looking for a delay reverb. @joetele ; will be able to give you a different type of use, but I know he's been impressed with it
    Yep - I'd suggest trying the Caverns V2. While it can do shimmer and ambient stuff, it's all really subtle and musical, and plays well with other pedals. I've tried tons of delays and reverbs, especially for my ambient compositions, and the Caverns really is one of the best for it. It's definitely not larger than life. It's well behaved. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28573
    Boss RE-20.

As long as you like tape delay and really awful spring reverb. Which is a better combination than it probably sounds.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EQD Dispatch Master?  People seem to like those a lot.
  • I spent months trying to find the right delay/reverb pedal but never succeeded. I found the Caverns and Dispatch Master far too tame for my needs. My advice is not to compromise, get the right delay and reverb units that suit your needs. You'll be happier in the long term knowing you got the right gear more than worrying about the loss of a couple of inches on a pedal board. 
  • Keeley Delay Workstation?

The Workstation series aren’t as big as you think at first glance, the footswitches are just a bit close together. Despite the name it’s one bank of delay and one of reverb. 
    Not cheap as chips new but you might turn one up used. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I have Wampler Ethereal and its always on. I think it’s a brilliant pedal others might think differently but it does what you are looking for. 
  • Yes that is the conclusion I ended up at as well, I'll just get the Strymon Flint and Dunlop Echoplex and figure it out somehow with the space issue. Thanks for all your suggestions though! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Sporky said:
    Boss RE-20.

As long as you like tape delay and really awful spring reverb. Which is a better combination than it probably sounds.
    I was really impressed by how accurately they nailed the sound of the reverb :). It's truly terrible on its own, but in the context of the original Space Echo as a unit it works really well, and it's great that they resisted the obvious temptation to make it 'better'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I was hugely impressed with the EQD Avalanche Run. Also, though I’ve not tried one out, the GFI Specular Tempus looks good. Doesn’t seem to take up too much board space, but loads of options and not too pricey for what you get.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited September 2018
    Zoom MS50G Multistomp £75...plus tons of other fx if you want them with up to 6 fx at same time ( Inc reverb and delay ) at same time. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)