Matchless 4x10 speaker question

hi folks, my mate has just picked up a 4x10 matchless cab which is loaded with matchless branded Celestion greenbacks. Would they be the same as standard greenbacks or would they built to a slightly different spec for matchless?
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited September 2018
    I think they (Matchless) took regular Celestions and removed some of the doping then stuck Matchless labels on.
  • I think they (Matchless) took regular Celestions and removed some of the doping then stuck Matchless labels on.
    Thanks for that.
    If that’s the case, that kind of explains his findings.
    he’s using it to run his harmonica amp through. He recently had my 4x10 with Jensen p10r’s.
    without being able to A/B the 2cabs side by side, he’s saying that the matchless Cab is quite a bit brighter than mine where as I’d of thought the greenbacks would have been less bright than the Jensen’s.

The Swamp City Shakers
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Yes, as Mo says, they are U.K. made Celestions that have the doping around the edges of the speaker removed to make them sound more ‘broken in’ straight out of the box.

If he ever wants to sell it drop me a PM, I’ve had 2 matchless 4x10s over the years and sold them, just bought a matchless head that would sit nicely on one again!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    Yes, as Mo says, they are U.K. made Celestions that have the doping around the edges of the speaker removed to make them sound more ‘broken in’ straight out of the box.

If he ever wants to sell it drop me a PM, I’ve had 2 matchless 4x10s over the years and sold them, just bought a matchless head that would sit nicely on one again!
    Cheers for that. Not sure it’ll be up for sale just yet as he’s only had it a few days but will let you know if things don’t work out!
    The Swamp City Shakers