On the subject of picks ...

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
… what do you keep them in?

For donkey's years I've used pretty much the same picks: bog standard Gibson 'medium' for electric, and Jim Dunlop .73mm slightly flexible ones for acoustic.  I've had periodic forays into tortex, only to confirm that I hate them. Flirted with stubby's but I'm too ham-fisted.

Relatively recently a pedal game with a promo Gravity pick, and to my amazement I really liked it.  So much so that for electric it's now pretty much all I use, and I've bought a limited selection of different shapes/edges to play with to settle on The One.

Which is all well and good, but … my crappy old 50/60p a go picks used to fit nicely in the generic pick holder things where you shove 5 or 6 into a sprung container, like a gun magazine for picks.  The Gravity picks are slightly over-size for one of those. As a result, I've just been leaving them in my pocket loose, but then they get in the way, or get caught up in my wallet, and then fall out at awkward moments and ultimately get lost.  Which at £4 a pop pisses me off.

Having looked up the prices of the picks mentioned in the Expensive Picks thread I realise I'm still basically a total peasant even at £4 a go. Even so, it's still £4 and I wouldn't casually throw four pound coins on the floor periodically and think it was an acceptable loss.

So what handy pocket-sized pick holding gizmos are out there for slightly larger picks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ex-tobacco or cigar tins?

BTW EyUp Snags hope you're OK :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Yeah, I'm fine Phil - just still reeling from the shock of losing a four quid pick on holiday ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In an old Seymour Duncan pickup box. Nothing fancy. I just chucked a load out, now I want a lot of them back again 
  • A small mint tin works, the Curiously Strong Mints from M&S work well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    None of those are really pocket sized, are they? Storage at home is fine, and I always have a few scattered in case pockets. Maybe I should only ever have one in my trousers, not a few.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    The best little sack for them is the dried Scrotum of Young Peruvian Alpaca ............keeps them nice and grippy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I have a plectrum holder key ring fob- keep one attached to my car keys.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    A mint tin. There are two tins at the top left of my pedal board. One holds spare fuses. The other holds picks:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • My lad decorated a jam jar at nursery. 
    I've used it ever since

I also have a dirty riffs plectrum tin stuck to my pedal board with a few spares. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

• Sorry I misread the thread title...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love what you did there!
  • He looks like Dr Strangelove. It’s uncanny.
  • A pick pocket lol.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I just chuck em in my pedalboard or in the hardcase pocket.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    i pay someone else to carry them around for me....keeps them safe that way and in tip top condition, my own personal pick guard if you like
    Thanks all.  There are some alpaca where we go in Norfolk fairly regularly, I'll see if I can sneak out one night.

Failing that I guess I'll just stick to leaving them in guitar cases and a tin in my cable case (which tends to be the one constant thing) and just tuck a single pick in my pocket, away from my stupid wallet. Or get a better wallet. But I've seen how that turns out in Off Topic ;)
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited September 2018
    Snags said:
    Thanks all.  There are some alpaca where we go in Norfolk fairly regularly, I'll see if I can sneak out one night.

Failing that I guess I'll just stick to leaving them in guitar cases and a tin in my cable case (which tends to be the one constant thing) and just tuck a single pick in my pocket, away from my stupid wallet. Or get a better wallet. But I've seen how that turns out in Off Topic

Just had a thought, if you don't need to carry that many, when you buy a stylus for a turntable, they sometimes come in small circular metal tins which fit in your pocket. 
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited September 2018
    I keep a couple of picks in a little leather key fob pouch that I got for 25p from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00LIUNV5C/

Got given one of these cases years ago for my birthday and keep my current spare picks in it in the front of my gig bag:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071V7T53Z/

Also have a cleaned out nivea men creme tin for the rest of my picks (worn ones, ones I don't use anymore, experiments etc)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh, that last might work.

It's not so much that I need to carry that many, I've just got into the habit of having a couple in my pocket "just in case".  Mostly to cover (relatively rare) situations when I'm not planning on playing, but get mugged into it, or when I'm running late and forget to pick up the right thing or whatever.  Having them stuffed into something pick shaped but a little bulkier just makes it all easier.

If I'm actually heading out to play properly for something, I'll (usually) have various tins/containers of spares in different bits of kit that will be with me.  Guess it's just a psychological quirk, rather than a need <twitches eyes>