Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Arse biscuits!

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
edited September 2018 in Guitar
So I picked up this lovely Epi Lp a few days ago, really getting to like it, bought the bits to put a Gibson bridge on it, I was worried how the missus would react but she was fine with it,
However,
A few weeks back I put a commission bid on an old Aria Strat, turns out I won! Its a birthyear guitar, quite a rare model from my research, pick it up tomorrow, I need to sell one now, how can I sell a birthyear , rare guitar even if it is a bit crap, and I dont like strats too much! 
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flip it on here....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    Flip it on here....

Good call, its an amazing guitar, plays like butter, loads of vintage mojo, 750 quid. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s plenty of Epi or equivalent LP types around for another time so ditch that one if you like the YOB guitar.

But until you have the Aria you can’t make the decision. Keeping it for the sake of it being a YOB if you don’t like it is a bit daft. Trust me I’ve been there!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's what Im thinking, Im picking it up tomorrow so you never know, I might actually like it. This is it, its a 1723TD, its in the 1972 catalogue (yes, Im old as fuck), but not the 71 or 73, also this guy seems to think they were a limited run? Then again he thinks its a 75.  http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13178

https://i.imgur.com/xgPJcg2.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I dont understand the predicament. Keep both. You cant be that skint. Eat beans on toast and suspend the gym membership for a month.

If you really must get rid of one, wait both until you have properly determined whether either guitar is a player. Then make the decision. The year of birth thing is a red herring.

Tickle my tambourines. Why do people make such a fuss about owning an extra guitar?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6806
    Just remember not everything from 1972 was special or well made, just remember some of your class mates at school! If you don’t bond with it, it’s year of manufacture isn’t important.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    If you are, or want to be, limited in the number of guitars you own, sentimentality is a killer - as others have said the year is irrelevant. 
  • robgilmo said:
    This is it, its a 1723TD, its in the 1972 catalogue (yes, Im old as fuck)

Hahahaha.... youth. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    dindude said:
    If you are, or want to be, limited in the number of guitars you own, sentimentality is a killer - as others have said the year is irrelevant. 
    Wise words. When I first started playing guitar again (I was mainly a bass player previously but dabbled with guitar) I wanted to collect 'significant' guitars, so I bought a couple of Wilkes basses, a Gibson Grabber (as I'd used it to record my bands first and only single) a Columbus 335 as it was my first guitar, a Les Paul Junior (the friend that taught me my first chords had an Arbiter version), a '54 Strat reissue and a 57 reissue as one of my heroes (Buddy Holly) had one (obviously not a reissue!), a 1959 ES225, because his rhythm guitarist, Niki Sullivan played one and a Gibson Lucille, because of BB King.

Having this as 'trophies' is great if you play them, but the Wilkes basses have gone, as have the Strats, the Columbus is up for sale, the LPJ went within weeks, the Grabber sits in a corner, and the Lucille and 225 are lovely, but are rarely used.

I'll go a bit further- @dindude's post is making me reconsider my modest collection and wonder what the point is of keeping the ones that aren't being played, because there's a whole world of guitars out there to be played, without being limited by being hamstrung by guitars that don't get used and tie up cash that could be used for the ones that are a joy to pick up and play.
    Call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Disappointed. I was hoping to see an arse biscuit.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    robgilmo said:

Hahahaha.... youth. 
    Yep, I wish I was that old although, in fairness, I once was! 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    DB1 said:
    dindude said:
    Wise words. When I first started playing guitar again (I was mainly a bass player previously but dabbled with guitar) I wanted to collect 'significant' guitars, so I bought a couple of Wilkes basses, a Gibson Grabber (as I'd used it to record my bands first and only single) a Columbus 335 as it was my first guitar, a Les Paul Junior (the friend that taught me my first chords had an Arbiter version), a '54 Strat reissue and a 57 reissue as one of my heroes (Buddy Holly) had one (obviously not a reissue!), a 1959 ES225, because his rhythm guitarist, Niki Sullivan played one and a Gibson Lucille, because of BB King.

Having this as 'trophies' is great if you play them, but the Wilkes basses have gone, as have the Strats, the Columbus is up for sale, the LPJ went within weeks, the Grabber sits in a corner, and the Lucille and 225 are lovely, but are rarely used.

I'll go a bit further- @dindude's post is making me reconsider my modest collection and wonder what the point is of keeping the ones that aren't being played, because there's a whole world of guitars out there to be played, without being limited by being hamstrung by guitars that don't get used and tie up cash that could be used for the ones that are a joy to pick up and play.
    Exactly - I’d put off buying a new Strat because I had a significant reason to keep on with my other Strat. But it’s been a revelation and confirmed that my tastes in Strats have changed over the years. I’m actually going to actively de-sentimentalise the rest of my guitars (aside from the acoustic my wife bought when we got married as it’s a far better acoustic than I am an acoustic player and all I’ll ever need) and whenever my wife suggest guitar related stuff for birthdays etc I now reject the offer.

Freedom in buying and selling is more important than sentimentality to me right now.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    DB1 said:
    robgilmo said:

Hahahaha.... youth. 
    Yep, I wish I was that old although, in fairness, I once was! 
    Christ, I wish I was born in 72!

I will never be able to afford a YOB ....... (57)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Fuck sake boys, thank you, I feel much less guilty now, still , two guitars in a week for me is a bit much, My Mrs thinks I'm a loon!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Give it a nice refin
  • axisus said:

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Could be worse.  My birth year is '63 so a Strat is gonna be pricey.
  • Don't forget just because it was made in the same year in no way means its going to be good, or work for you, plenty of allegros were made the year I was born, and they're no way special to me in any way  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I like not these biscuits!
  • axisus said:

Go to the canned goods thread in OT and give it a bit of time...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...