The Art of Drumming on Sky Arts

What's Hot
Documentary series on the art of Drumming...loads of drummers talking about famous tracks and general drumming. cannot recommend it enough...first two episodes were exceptional. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Agreed, it’s well worth a watch.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    not seen it yet...
    our drummer was on it and he pinged me saying to watch it
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Excellent.  So much better than TPS...

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I've watched the first one - interesting how the drum beats have evolved with/influenced musical styles.

I definitely don't understand Reggae, though!
    just downloaded the first 2 and set the others to record..
    looking forward to this

Craig said his dog Mollie got in on the action when filming... lol..
    he's such a tart.. lol..
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Just watched the first episode, really fascinating stuff. I liked the guy from the Specials explaining about how he played slightly behind the beat to make the song lope along, I’d never noticed it before but it’s obvious now I hear it back. Looking forward to seeing more. 
  • boogieman said:
    Just watched the first episode, really fascinating stuff. I liked the guy from the Specials explaining about how he played slightly behind the beat to make the song lope along, I’d never noticed it before but it’s obvious now I hear it back. Looking forward to seeing more. 
    John Bradbury? He died in 2015 so this can’t be very recent filming. 
    When I get Now back to watch the next Walking Dead I’ll have to catch up with this. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    boogieman said:
    When I get Now back to watch the next Walking Dead I’ll have to catch up with this. 
    No, the chap that plays with them now, I think. He also drums for the Libertines
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    No, the chap that plays with them now, I think. He also drums for the Libertines
    Ahh. 

prowla said:
    I've watched the first one - interesting how the drum beats have evolved with/influenced musical styles.

I definitely don't understand Reggae, though!
    I watched the Sly and Robbie documentary a while ago and Sly explained how he ‘invented’ different reggae beats. Although I probably listen to more reggae than anything else it was still lost on me so, who knows, maybe this will make it all clear. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'm, really enjoying this - realised I knew even less about drumming than I thought I did.
    Gagaryn said:
    I'm, really enjoying this - realised I knew even less about drumming than I thought I did.
    I know! My dad is a drummer, and has been for over 40 years, and this whole series is blowing my mind. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Will have to check this out, cheers for the heads up @joneve ;

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 415
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    That would be Gary Powell who i went to school with .  He is really enthusiastic about them drums .
    Alvin said:
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    That would be Gary Powell who i went to school with .  He is really enthusiastic about them drums .
    he certainly bloody is. Talented bloke too, it would seem! 
  • Enjoying this.  I've never understood what drummers do very well, even though I've done a little bit of drum programming etc.  I can tell the difference between a good drummer and a bad one, especially if I'm playing with him, but it's by gut feel and instinct rather than a proper awareness of what he's trying to do, how difficult it is, how well he's succeeding etc.  Wish I'd learned at least the basics of drumming when younger but I'm too long in the tooth to start with it now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    I naturally wanted to become a drummer when I was younger, to take after my dad, and took lessons at school. My rhythm and feel is as good as anyone's, but my body cannot and will not work independently to perform kick drum duties on different beats to what my hands are doing. And some of the odd timing stuff they were playing on episode two, I could not compute at all. 

Thomas Lang with no less than 6 pedals too! WTF????????????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 415
    joneve said:
    I naturally wanted to become a drummer when I was younger, to take after my dad, and took lessons at school. My rhythm and feel is as good as anyone's, but my body cannot and will not work independently to perform kick drum duties on different beats to what my hands are doing. And some of the odd timing stuff they were playing on episode two, I could not compute at all. 

Thomas Lang with no less than 6 pedals too! WTF????????????
      That was an eye opener for sure , i didn't think the programme would be any good - drums ?  It is absolutely fascinating , i'm hooked .  Thomas Lang must be doing a similar thing to Rick Allen - Def Leppard , very impressive , i can barely work two limbs let alone four , drummers should get more respect .     Still not sure i want to watch a drum solo at every show i see though .
    I was a drummer long before I was a guitarist..
    I still love playing drums although I'm crap.. lol
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this..
    edited October 2018
    just watched the first 2 episodes... really enjoyed it..
    I was a drummer long before I was a guitarist and like a lot of those guys, I started playing military drums in a cadet band..

some of the things Craig spoke about reminds me a little of dummy chats we'd have on occasion passing the travelling hours by on tour
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30909
    Here's the art of drumming in one video. Utterly amazing- Steve Jordan. Fireworks after 2.00

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.