The Art of Drumming on Sky Arts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It is really interesting; funnily enough, it picked up on something I've always thought, namely that Bill Ward is is a very expressive drummer whose playing is an integral part of the expression of the music; there are very few drummers like that - Neil Peart (hasn't had a mention on the show yet) is the other most obvious one to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was looking for one of the drummers on the show and I stumbled across this...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    prowla said:
    It is really interesting; funnily enough, it picked up on something I've always thought, namely that Bill Ward is is a very expressive drummer whose playing is an integral part of the expression of the music; there are very few drummers like that - Neil Peart (hasn't had a mention on the show yet) is the other most obvious one to me.
    Bill Ward always said he was a jazz drummer at heart. His work with Sabbath bears that out and is sublime stuff. I’d never heard anyone really play like him until I heard that first BS album. One of the great rock drummers of our time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    edited October 2018
    A couple of neat videos of Jimmy Chamberlain from the Smashing Pumpkins in this thread

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140902/jimmy-chamberlain-smashing-pumpkins-drummer#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    (...and he was on part 4.)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Part way through episode two now ( Nicko gets his bus pass). Enjoying it so far. Well put together, not dumbed down ( might be to a very knowledgable drummer but not to me) and a good variety of styles. 
    The drummer from Aswad ( who I saw the other week, excellent band) looked a bit spaced but still could hold a beat. 
    Fairly simple documentary format I guess but the enthusiasm from everyone comes through. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Sounds like a good watch. Any representation from (modern) metal as obviously there's shit tons of great drummers in the metal world given that its one of the most complex styles to play on drums.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Anyone know of a way of watching this without Sky?
    Anyone know of a way of watching this without Sky?
     Now TV ( you'd have to buy a month's subscription).

PolarityMan said:
    Sounds like a good watch. Any representation from (modern) metal as obviously there's shit tons of great drummers in the metal world given that its one of the most complex styles to play on drums.
    Not so far in, looking at the episode synopsys it looks not ( unless you count Iron Maiden or Dream Theatre).
    Only thing I got from googling this is a corner of the internet where they are very, very upset that Neil Peart isn't in it.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited October 2018
    Peart came in 11th in their (admittedly slightly bizarre) list of GOAT drummers so he was hardly slighted.  I don't suppose they could interview everyone:  ease of access no doubt mattered, and not everyone would have wanted to take part anyway?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Anyone know of a way of watching this without Sky?
     Now TV ( you'd have to buy a month's subscription).

PolarityMan said:
    Sounds like a good watch. Any representation from (modern) metal as obviously there's shit tons of great drummers in the metal world given that its one of the most complex styles to play on drums.
    Not so far in, looking at the episode synopsys it looks not ( unless you count Iron Maiden or Dream Theatre).
    Only thing I got from googling this is a corner of the internet where they are very, very upset that Neil Peart isn't in it.
    He's mentioned in the last episode as one of the GOATs, so I suspect he was asked to do it, but declined, as he's quite a personal chap from what I can gather. 

It's got Dave Lombardo in it, if you can count him as Modern Metal. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Absolutely brilliant series - I knew very little about drums, other than playing guitar in a band but was completly spell bound for all four episodes! Recomend it to anybody
    Watched a bit more and yes. 

I think one of the the things I like about the drummers is that they are so happy to reference across genres - rock drummers talking about Louis Bellson for example. Here’s the invention of modern metal drumming:

https://youtu.be/nBQWaCLlK9Y

Alvin said:
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    Just watched the first episode, really fascinating stuff. I liked the guy from the Specials explaining about how he played slightly behind the beat to make the song lope along, I’d never noticed it before but it’s obvious now I hear it back. Looking forward to seeing more. 
    John Bradbury? He died in 2015 so this can’t be very recent filming. 
    When I get Now back to watch the next Walking Dead I’ll have to catch up with this. 
    No, the chap that plays with them now, I think. He also drums for the Libertines
    That would be Gary Powell who i went to school with .  He is really enthusiastic about them drums .

He keeps popping up, really knows his stuff. 

• Really good series.  Never noticed how amazing Bill Ward was!  I guess that might be the point - great drummers are often overlooked because if they play perfectly for the song, it just fits and it looks easy.