Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone here into jazz?

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    listened to any Johnny Smith ?  Moonlight in Vermont is sublime

Into Jimmy Raney at the moment
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jalapeno said:
    listened to any Johnny Smith ?  Moonlight in Vermont is sublime

Into Jimmy Raney at the moment
    A bit of Johnny Smith yes, got some of him playing with Stan Getz, plus a couple of other things. But I would like to hear more. I like Jimmy Raney too - very much a bebop guitarist I think - another one whose stuff is a bit hard to find, but I'll have to see if I can get hold of some more recordings.
  • @jalapeno - for no good reason I always forget Johnny Smith! He's probably one of the cleanest players I've ever heard.

@megii - I'm just getting into Wes but so far everything he does blows my mind

Just out of interest, what is everyone's opinion on Barney Kessell? Whenever I watch videos of him and he starts to let rip, all I can hear is a muddled mess of notes as he rakes across the strings. Guys like Tal Farlow or Smith play with the same speed but play a lot cleaner.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I read someone doing the blind test in Just Jazz Guitar mag - they said this is sloppy, it has to be Barney Kessell, and he was right.

Listen to his comping on Julie London's Cry Me a River - the chap can play.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Barney Kessel - I think he's one of the greats personally, sits at the jazz guitar top-table if you like. Yes he does have that scrappy thing sometimes, and he just went for things, and was prepared to take risks, no matter what the situation - I like that! - ok it might not come off perfectly, but I can generally hear what he's going for. A wonderful chordal player too, with a unique sense of harmony.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    yes i love jazz....been listening to a lot of Tim Miller recently...but others i like are Allan Holdsworth ..Pat Metheney..Adam Rogers..John schofield  ...Pat Martino...infact i went through a great book by Pat Martino ...highly recomended its called Linear expressions..really good book.. :)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    My comment will appear here if approved? Eh?
    edited August 2013
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    Oops - double post in my frustration at "awaiting approval"
    Barney said:
    yes i love jazz....been listening to a lot of Tim Miller recently...but others i like are Allan Holdsworth ..Pat Metheney..Adam Rogers..John schofield  ...Pat Martino...infact i went through a great book by Pat Martino ...highly recomended its called Linear expressions..really good book.. :)

Long time fan of Holdsworth - often imitated, but there is only one. And Pat Metheny is a great in my book. Love John Schofield. Pat Martino - now there's a good one to mention, again a pretty unique musician - as it happens I have the Linear Expressions book also (not trying to sound clever), I agree it's great. I'm not so clued up on Tim Miller or Adam Rogers, so off to YouTube I go to check them out! :)

Cheers for the link Chuffola, that sketch is undoubtedly pretty hilarious. 

• Chuffola said:
    Even as a kid, years away from picking up a guitar, these sketches killed me! Does anyone know who in the Fast Show team wrote them as they're obviously coming from a place of love and respect and knowledge of the subject.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • failed_astronaut;20879" said:
    Does anyone know who in the Fast Show team wrote them as they're obviously coming from a place of love and respect and knowledge of the subject.
    I would have thought John Thompson had a fair bit to do with them. He's a very good drummer and likes music with a jazz influence from what I remember.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    edited August 2013
    I like Jazz, but don't really listen to "guitar" jazz.

Big fan of The Bad Plus (they're phenomenal live), but my favourite "modern" jazz band is definitely EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio). A real shame ES died a few years ago :(

These two performances in particular are great: 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    EST are phenomenal. 
    My first real exposure to jazz was EST from a bloke at uni so my tastes are a bit Skandi. 
  • EST are phenomenal. 
    My first real exposure to jazz was EST from a bloke at uni so my tastes are a bit Skandi. 
    Did you ever see them live? They were utterly mindblowing. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    No, and now I never will :(
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Glad somebody created a thread about jazz. RIght, jazz is over 100 years old The cliched view is of the Fast Show type of person, they do exist is only a tiny part of the jazz output. 

I listen to Tal Farlow all the above already listed Gene Bertoncini a great nylon string guitarist Russell Malone another good player Martin Taylor of course Lenny Breau - Charlie Byrd 

Also piano jazz Oscar Peterson - Fats Waller - Bill Evans - McCoy Tyner - Keith Jarret because I also play and teach jazz piano - Art Tatum is the God of piano players and there has never been anyone who came close to matching his technique. Trivia of the day Nat King Cole started out as a major jazz pianist until the record company discovered he could sing 
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    edited August 2013
    tonyrath said:

Glad somebody created a thread about jazz. RIght, jazz is over 100 years old The cliched view is of the Fast Show type of person, they do exist is only a tiny part of the jazz output. 

I listen to Tal Farlow all the above already listed Gene Bertoncini a great nylon string guitarist Russell Malone another good player Martin Taylor of course Lenny Breau - Charlie Byrd 

Also piano jazz Oscar Peterson - Fats Waller - Bill Evans - McCoy Tyner - Keith Jarret because I also play and teach jazz piano - Art Tatum is the God of piano players and there has never been anyone who came close to matching his technique. Trivia of the day Nat King Cole started out as a major jazz pianist until the record company discovered he could sing 
    I'm a pianist too, Peterson and Tatum are my idols of course! The Bill Evans trio were awesome, only got into him quite recently when a guy and the leeds college of music open day told me to check him out. Keith Jarrett is such a brilliant musician, his version(s) of somewhere over the rainbow, particularly the one on la scala, is just beautiful
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    edited August 2013
    it's the blowers and the pianists that do it for me.
    I play piano and guitar and find myself much preferring to listen to jazz saxophonists, trumpet players, bassists and drummers! One day, I WILL learn to play saxophone.
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Cheers for the posts everyone. EST - like that, never heard them before, thanks again for educating me! Russell Malone, Tal Farlow, Martin Taylor, Lenny Breau, Charlie Byrd - already into all of those, great people. Not looked into Gene Bertoncini, but will do so now, cheers for that one.

I guess for myself, I like jazz in general, and quite a wide range of styles - well pretty much all of it in fact. I do enjoy hearing well done jazz guitar, but it doesn't have to be there by any means. I find it a bit curious that some of you like jazz, but actually seem to prefer to not have the guitar involved - what's that about? Just asking politely out of interest, of course to each his/her own and all that! :)