Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone here into jazz?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    if anybody would like a go at putting my above contribution into English please do so. Still, it's a jazz thread, as long as no one mentions Sting we will be okay.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    The Jazz tradition came directly from the the Blues, it's just more tonally complex
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I too like "jazz bass lines". I think it's the way they walk.

Herr Georg Friedrich Haendel also wrote bass lines which 'walked', eg the second variation on Sarabande in D minor. Some have said there's no connection between George's bass lines and those you find in some jazz music but I disagree. They way they walk through the chords, play the changes, and keep the rhythm going is very similar, even if the rules governing which changes may occur are different.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Jazz bass you say ?  Check out Ron Carter.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    EricTheWeary;22197" said:
    if anybody would like a go at putting my above contribution into English please do so. Still, it's a jazz thread, as long as no one mentions Sting we will be okay.
    Sting.
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jmaster;22706" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;22197"]if anybody would like a go at putting my above contribution into English please do so. Still, it's a jazz thread, as long as no one mentions Sting we will be okay.
    Sting.[/quote]

In fairness, the guys he played with early in his solo career (Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim, Daryl Jones, Kenny Kirkland) were pretty impressive...
    Branford Marsalis is absolutely awesome
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I tell you if you really want unsolicited advice (which you don't) on unsolicited recommendations on jazz music, the master was blind wee-wee jefferson.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Back from holiday so late to this party, but I am massively into jazz. That said, although I play lots of traditional jazz guitar, I don't really listen to any for pleasure. Pat Metheny and Mike Stern are about as far towards the trad end of the spectrum as it gets for me! Major Allan Holdsworth fan, so recommend his album of jazz standards "None Too Soon". I do listen to and attempt to play in the style of solo jazz guitar a la Martin Taylor or (especially) Tuck Andress on his "Reckless Precision" album.

I listen to loads of non-guitar based modern jazz. Double-bass fans check out Avishai Cohen. EST fans head for Nik Bartsch's Ronin (and wonder). If SLIGHTLY more traditional piano trio music is your thing, you really can't get any better than Hiromi in full flow - piano solo starts at 2:15ish

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

Funny thing with Holdsworth, some people just don't seem to get it - e.g. I have a friend who really is a fabulous, top class jazz guitarist, and just doesn't like AH's playing at all. I on the other hand was entranced the first time I heard him, and still am, I "got it" instantly I guess. Long while ago I went through a phase of wanting/wishing I could play like him lol, long since come to my senses and realized it's best left to him, but still have a (somewhat modified) green Ibanez AH10, which I bought new in '85 or '86:

AH didn't seem too keen on this model, and moved on to other things, but I still like the guitar a lot - a lovely neck for one thing.

Hiromi is great! love that, cheers not come across her before. :)

edited August 2013
    frankus;22863" said:
    I tell you if you really want unsolicited advice (which you don't) on unsolicited recommendations on jazz music, the master was blind wee-wee jefferson.
    When he was playin both pipes was on fire.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    Megii said:

AH didn't seem too keen on this model, and moved on to other things, but I still like the guitar a lot - a lovely neck for one thing.

My Holdsworth machine is this Steinberger - the lack of front pickup is a happy coincidence :-)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/bigjon1684/LSbjwithSteinberger.jpg
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    bigjon said:
    If SLIGHTLY more traditional piano trio music is your thing, you really can't get any better than Hiromi in full flow
    Oh my God you're not kidding...she's amazing 

:-O

(I'm a huge Jason Rebello fan)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    bigjon said:
    Back from holiday so late to this party, but I am massively into jazz. That said, although I play lots of traditional jazz guitar, I don't really listen to any for pleasure. Pat Metheny and Mike Stern are about as far towards the trad end of the spectrum as it gets for me! Major Allan Holdsworth fan, so recommend his album of jazz standards "None Too Soon". I do listen to and attempt to play in the style of solo jazz guitar a la Martin Taylor or (especially) Tuck Andress on his "Reckless Precision" album.

I listen to loads of non-guitar based modern jazz. Double-bass fans check out Avishai Cohen. EST fans head for Nik Bartsch's Ronin (and wonder). If SLIGHTLY more traditional piano trio music is your thing, you really can't get any better than Hiromi in full flow - piano solo starts at 2:15ish
    I have most of her albums .. amazing player.

Her band Sonic Boom is worth checking out

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096

Thanks for that clip. Great to see someone so talented enjoying the music she is creating instead of the usual 'look at how great I am' face that many such musicians employ. Will def have to check out more Sonic Boom  :) 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 76
    edited October 2018
    I like Jazz, but don't really listen to "guitar" jazz.

Big fan of The Bad Plus (they're phenomenal live), but my favourite "modern" jazz band is definitely EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio). A real shame ES died a few years ago

These two performances in particular are great: 

Holy s*** that EST track is phenomenal!  New one on me, many thanks.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    edited October 2018
    Megii said:

Will see if I can catch up on that series on iplayer, too bad if I've missed out. Just to mention another of my favourite jazz guitarists - Emily Remler (sadly no longer with us). Influenced by Wes Montgomery, also you hear Pat Martino in there, and others. But I think she really had something of her own, and a strong individual voice.

I have that album and a couple others by her - superb playing, she was the best at Wes octaves IMO and there are some jaw-dropping vids of her on Youtube. Greatly missed.

This is from one of the finest guitar LPs of the 1980s: Steve Khan / Eyewitness with Anthony Jackson, Steve Jordan, Manolo Badrena -

• I like Jazz, but don't really listen to "guitar" jazz.

Big fan of The Bad Plus (they're phenomenal live), but my favourite "modern" jazz band is definitely EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio). A real shame ES died a few years ago

These two performances in particular are great: 

Holy s*** that EST track is phenomenal!  New one on me, many thanks.
    The Esbjorn Svensson Trio album Live In Hamburg is one of the best live albums ever. 
  • @Del_Preston and @bingefeller ;

If you like EST you should definitely check out Go Go Penguin. They are clearly influenced by EST but they are doing their own thing really. They're doing a UK tour in November, I'm rather excited about seeing them :D 

• This one is great too: