Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Useful car window-shopping

What's Hot
I've been offered a job which is 20 miles away. For the last 10+ years I've been able to cycle and take trains to work. I still intend to cycle to this one occasionally, but I think a car will be useful too.

I've got a motorbike, and a project campervan, neither of which is suited to everyday and winter use. My wife has a little run-around which I don't want to leave parked in an office car park all day. My eldest lad has a car, but when he passed his test I doubt we'll see him or the car very often.

So I'm toying with getting something a bit silly. It has to be cheap ~£1500 and can't be totally ugly or camp.

My wife suggested a Smart Roadster. Me and the kids reckon a Mazda MX-5. I know someone selling a new era VW Beetle which I'm not a fan of, but it fits the criteria.

Gimme some suggestions that stick to the brief and I'm likely to get without searching too hard. If you have any advice on how reliable the suggestions are too, that would be cool.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Where a silly sportscar fails is on wet and winding back roads. So maybe a cheap 4x4 is a different angle to take. Fiat Panda 4x4?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Pistonheads do a thing called "Shed of the Week" to a budget of £1500. Latest SoTW is an Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    MR2 (MkIII). Best cars I ever owned, had two of them and did over 160k in each one. Get a post 2003 facelift and put some good tyres on it. Check out the MR2ROC forum. Cheap, bulletproof, mid engine, rear drive. Fantastic.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been offered a job which is 20 miles away...

Me and the kids reckon a Mazda MX-5. 

Is the new job hairdresser?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just dont ding it on the test-drive!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16005
    Jag x type
    Mondeo in a posh disguise but feels a lot more car than the price would suggest and not too untidy
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    edited September 2018
    Dominic said:
    Jag x type
    Mondeo in a posh disguise but feels a lot more car than the price would suggest and not too untidy
    I'm sure the X type is a good enough car for the money but it's too big and bland for this job. I'll edit the OP to say that I want small, cheap to run, quirky.

@thermionic I meant to make the hairdresser joke myself. I don't particularly want a car, so figured I may as well have something that might be fun to drive knowing full well I'll get labelled for it. :lol: 
  • MX5.

If you don't need back seats or a roof the answer is *always* the MX5.

The hairdresser comments are generally from those who are jealous of all the fun you'll have, but too uptight to buy one themselves.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    roundthebend said:

I want small, cheap to run, quirky.
    Reliant Kitten. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    roundthebend said:

I want small, cheap to run, quirky.
    Reliant Kitten. 
    Got to be easy to find one. Otherwise, it's a good suggestion
  • MX5 is a good shout- brilliant fun & reliable. 
    A mate of mine has a Mini Cooper (one of the “proper” ones, not a BMW) it’s the most fun car to drive I’ve ever experienced. Would that fit the bill? 

If you like cycling, have you considered an ebike? Most modern ones have the range & would make the cycle doable (if lengthy with the 15.5mph restriction). 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    MX5.

The hairdresser comments are generally from those who are jealous of all the fun you'll have, but too uptight to buy one themselves.
    Especially on this budget. Great cars.
  • I doubt you'll get a MR2 or Classic Mini for £1500. You will get an MX5 though. Likely a mk2. I sold mine for £600 (and got £300 for the hardtop!). Parts are cheap, heater, heated seats and LSD on certain models make winter driving comfortable. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Got to be easy to find one.
    That's a fair point.

I'd thought a Copen but try seem to be around £2500.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited September 2018
    Should get an Alfa 159 oil burner for that money these days.  And as Alfa depreciation tends to be at high end and larger cars cheaper you get a much better car for budget than more popular brands like ford/vw/audi.

the 1.9 (or 2.0) 16v mjet engine in 159 has plenty power and bags of useable torque from just over 2000rpm right round to red line so isn't horrible to drive like older diesels. plus should get you well over 40mpg (i can get over 40mpg at 80+ in my 156 2.4 20v diesel) . 

Lovely leather interior, reasonable audio, handles well, and will handle some fun on twisty roads no problem at all

consider older gtv (if don't mind getting oily), Alfa GT or Brera are in budget (don't discount the oil burners for gtv or brera as they are very strong, revvy, lovely engines)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited September 2018
    fandango said:
    Pistonheads do a thing called "Shed of the Week" to a budget of £1500. Latest SoTW is an Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark.
    although good cars and simple to work on I would only recommend for a home enthusiast who does own work.  They are at age where lots needs done and recommended belt change on petrols (in Alfa circles) is 36-40k.  Good choice if can do basic mechanics yourself though (suspension arms, brakes, etc etc).

have had 2x Alfa 155 v6's a 156 TS ans now a 156 2.4 20v Jtd mjet.  The 155's are mechanically same as gtv give or take so they are defo now at regular work required.  Read arm bearings, subframes getting past best blah blah.  Hoses all at point where may fail, radiators rotten...  However if can get over the letterbox Window screen and find an enthusiast owned one in budget then you'll certainly enjoy a GTV (minimum 2.0TS which will give you an epic sounding 150bhp N/A engine in a fairly light car by modern standards).

Think Alfa GT would tick the 2 door sporty box and would pens be my pick if a 159 isn't in running.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    A bit quirky.  Reliable.  Comfortable.  Reliable.  <£1500.

Image result for audi a2

And from the era when Audi engineered cars rather designed bling.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • @TTony ;
    My teenage boys said, when I suggested buying a Smart Roadster "If you want us to move out, just say"

To which I replied "I have said, and you still haven't bloody moved out!"

I think the old A2 might be a fantastic car, but it really doesn't appeal in enough ways.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    TTony said:
    A bit quirky.  Reliable.  Comfortable.  Reliable.  <£1500.

Image result for audi a2

And from the era when Audi engineered cars rather designed bling.

You forgot ugly. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    MX5.

Unfortunately, not if you're much over 6' tall. Housemate ran one for years, and although it's brilliant to drive, in a comfortable driving position, my eyeline was level with the top of the windscreen. Couldn't drive it at all with the roof up.