What studio monitors? Up to £150?

What's Hot
Looking for some pointers as to what to get.  Like everything else in the budget range, it seems there's a million different makes and models making active studio monitors with very little difference in specs. So, I'm hoping some of you have had some experience with what's out there and what to avoid.

Requirements;

A pair 
Active
Small in size. 
Not too bassy but performs well at low Volumes. Don't want or need loud speakers. 
Up to £150
Can go 2nd hand
Preferably with a headphone output. 

I've looked at all the usual culprits... Mackie, rokit, behringer etc but without actually testing them in my wee studio space it's kinda hard to decide! 

On a side note, they'll likely just be sitting on my desk so are isolation pads a worthy investment? 

Thanks! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited October 2018
    ISO pads are always a good idea, don’t rule out secondhand though, you can pick up a set of Behringer Truth monitors for @£100, not wonderful but excellent budget monitors
  • If you can live with passive, you'll often find much better speakers that way because most folk just want actives. My Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors are brilliant, and can usually be found for under a ton per pair.

I use one of these with mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEPY-2020A-Amplifier/202348429043?epid=28002735670&hash=item2f1ce7fef3:g:szIAAOSwmS1bLV8Z

<space for hire>
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    Iv got the Yamaha b5 pair I'm very pleased with them i tried the m audio but returned them.
  • The Presonus Eris e4.5 Monitors are excellent in that price range. I loved mine when I had them.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Presonus Eris e4.5 Monitors are excellent in that price range. I loved mine when I had them.
    ^^

This ...

Or Mackie CR4's

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I have the Mackie CR4's and they're very good for that I need them for. I'm not a studio engineer or do any mixing, just for playback in guitar lessons as I'm a tutor and they do do it really well. Within your budget too.
  • Enough of you have said Mackie CR4s so I've tok the plunge and purchase a set. They come with isolation pads and cabling for £105.00 delivered, so well within my budget too! 

thanks for your help folks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hs50m Yamahas are excellent
  • Whoops, missed your last post :) have fun with the new monitors
  • So I got my CR4's. They are much louder than i was expecting! and sound quality is tremendous. Very precise! however. Theres a loud hum coming from themm like an earthing. I've tried them in different locations and always get the same hum. I actually read a review with someone saying the same thing before I purchased them.... Is this normal? Or are mine broke?

• funkyfraz said:
    So I got my CR4's. They are much louder than i was expecting! and sound quality is tremendous. Very precise! however. Theres a loud hum coming from themm like an earthing. I've tried them in different locations and always get the same hum. I actually read a review with someone saying the same thing before I purchased them.... Is this normal? Or are mine broke?

Actually when I first got mine within a few days of using them during a lesson I heard a loud pop sound and then it stopped working. It happened a few more times I sent them back to be exchanged. They too experienced the same issue a few days later. Not the same issue as you but the first pair I got were faulty.

The new ones have been fine for a couple of years though. 
  • funkyfraz said:
    So I got my CR4's. They are much louder than i was expecting! and sound quality is tremendous. Very precise! however. Theres a loud hum coming from themm like an earthing. I've tried them in different locations and always get the same hum. I actually read a review with someone saying the same thing before I purchased them.... Is this normal? Or are mine broke?

funkyfraz said:

Ignore me! Its sorted! I was being stupid!
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    I got my Yamaha HS50M, I know the response is not the flattest one, with some lack of bass but fore the price I paid and the quality I'm very happy.
  • Been keeping an eye on this thread as I was looking to get an interface and some monitors... ended up with a Presonus Audiobox iTwo and the Eris E4.5 speakers... haven't had a chance to set it all up yet but I'll report back when I do!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Just as a wee update for you. Although I like the speakers, I wonder if my room is too small for them and I should've went for the 3 inch version. I think they produce a lot of bass and I barely go above 11 o clock.

I'll keep on going with them but if I see a cheap pair of 3 inchers then I might take a gamble.. Just to a/b them

• sparkspark Frets: 22
    edited October 2018
    funkyfraz said:
    ...... I should've went for the 3 inch version.....

3" is too small, You are not listen any low frecuency. I'd suggest to go for 5" if room is small.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I really like my Alesis Elevate 6, pretty sure they were under £150 s/h