Audio interface limitations

I bought an Irig HD 2 so that I can plug into my Mac and practice without disturbing the wife and kids. I use Amplitube 4 which came with the interface, a USB connection and a decent ish pair of Beyer headphones. The machine is a current model imac with 16gb RAM. When I listen, the sound is overly gainy compared to my amp, with what sounds like a lot of reverb even when none is dialled in. If I add an overdrive pedal it's quite over the top. Is this an inherent limitation of using an interface? Is it the USB connection? The free Amplitube amp and pedal sims? Amplitube itself?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    drpbier said:
    I bought an Irig HD 2 so that I can plug into my Mac and practice without disturbing the wife and kids. I use Amplitube 4 which came with the interface, a USB connection and a decent ish pair of Beyer headphones. The machine is a current model imac with 16gb RAM. When I listen, the sound is overly gainy compared to my amp, with what sounds like a lot of reverb even when none is dialled in. If I add an overdrive pedal it's quite over the top. Is this an inherent limitation of using an interface? Is it the USB connection? The free Amplitube amp and pedal sims? Amplitube itself?
    Amplitube 4 is great. Many of the pre-packaged sims aren't. Check you're signal chain, especially the amp loop and rack. Sounds like you may have a reverb or delay loaded.

Personally I start with an empty patch and build my own tones.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 225
    I did check everything and turned off the reverb on the amp sim. Sounds better now, thanks! Any amp or pedal sims worth buying in your view?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    drpbier said:
    I did check everything and turned off the reverb on the amp sim. Sounds better now, thanks! Any amp or pedal sims worth buying in your view?
    You mean in the Amplitube packs?

I tend to keep my eye out for deals so I have most of the packs but bought them all cheap. What sort of tones are you after? The Fender 2 pack is excellent .. really good if you like Fender amps.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!