Getting motivated with an exercise pattern?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    My phone has a health tracker app and that includes a calorie counter. It is helpful. I find that if I keep my calorie intake to about 2800 a day I am losing weight at a healthy rate  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I despise exercise. So I thought about what I enjoy that could be counted - I like swimming and cycling. So I do those and it doesn't really feel like exercise :)

Cycling a couple of miles? Get a single speed and put it into a high gear. You have to work your arse off and theres no easy route out like dropping gears to make it easier - dig in, pedal harder and feel the burn.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Do something you like so it doesn't feel like a chore.  Look at what days/times work for you and what triggers there are to do/not it. For example, I like to run in the morning before work. However if that doesn't happen then I'll run after work but have to do it as soon as I get in. If my wife makes me a drink then that's the run gone out of the window! 

If you have time constraints then look at what you can do rather than what you can't. A 20 min gym session is better than no gym session and you can actually fit a reasonable amount fo exercise into a short time. Also look to see if you can fit in extra activity e.g. get off train/bus a stop early and walk the rest. Walk further to get lunch, use stairs rather than lift etc.

Many apps out there to help monitor activity and eating. I used Myfitnesspal when I lost 3 stone a few years back and found it really helpful to see what I was eating and to make better food choices. You can eat quite a bit if you pick the right foods.

If you start exercising you may actually see the weight rise in the short term since you'll be toning/building muscle. Better to go by how you feel and fit into regular clothes.

See if any of your friends/colleagues do any exercise that you'd like to join. Having someone waiting for you is a good motivator to get out there and do it.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited October 2018
    A good tip is to buy a decent juicer, cram loads of fruit and leafy greens in, bit of ginger and carrot. Like eating a massive plateful of raw fruit and veg without the hard work. 5 a day in one hit.
    One of the best things I did this year for my diet was buying a nutribullet. I've started throwing loads of healthy foods in there I wouldn't normally touch. If you're a fussy eater like I am, then definitely get one. Actually, get the nutri ninja not the nutribullet, the blades are easier to clean.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    A good tip is to buy a decent juicer...
    One of the best things I did this year for my diet was buying a nutribullet. I've started throwing loads of healthy foods in there I wouldn't normally touch. If you're a fussy eater like I am, then definitely get one. Actually, get the nutri ninja not the nutribullet, the blades are easier to clean.
    @Bygone_Tones ;I've just been to Argos and now have a nutribullet.  Got a load of veggies next and I have now drunk something green.  Quite tasty in a grass clippings sort of way.  But clearly a lot of good fresh stuff went into it so I'm quite impressed.  Kale!  Who'da thought!

I've given my old juicer to my neighbour because that only did fruit -- way too much sugar for me these days. 
  • Grunfeld said:
    A good tip is to buy a decent juicer...
    @Bygone_Tones ;I've just been to Argos and now have a nutribullet.  Got a load of veggies next and I have now drunk something green.  Quite tasty in a grass clippings sort of way.  But clearly a lot of good fresh stuff went into it so I'm quite impressed.  Kale!  Who'da thought!

I've given my old juicer to my neighbour because that only did fruit -- way too much sugar for me these days. 
    Nice one, you wont regret it. I've used mine every day since I got it. Just make sure it is screwed on really tight before you blend, otherwise the contents will fly out all over everywhere, speaking from experience.

Same here, I never used to eat kale until about 6 months ago, now its a staple, spinach too.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Right guy's it's started. What's the best way to go? Concentrate fully on cardio until further notice or split it up strength and then cardio on different days. I'm going to start walking to work next week atm doing twenty minutes flat out on a static bike
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    DrJazzTap said:
    Right guy's it's started. What's the best way to go? Concentrate fully on cardio until further notice or split it up strength and then cardio on different days. I'm going to start walking to work next week atm doing twenty minutes flat out on a static bike
    The best exercise is one you will do.
    Some people like running, some people like lifting weights- do what you like to do.
    It is mostly diet though- you cannot exercise you way out of a bad diet and you can lose weight, even a significant amount, without ever exercising- you just need to stop eating.

I'm not suggesting you stop eating of course, the best approach is diet and exercise in combination.
    Spend more time thinking about tightening your diet though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

I'd agree with Octatonic. Do whatever you find enjoyable, which makes giving up less likely. I'd add the caveat that whatever you do decide to do, start slow and build up slowly.

Jumping into something your body can't handle is a sure fire way to injure yourself. Once injured you can't do much.

You have to push yourself, but you'll learn about what you can handle as time goes on.

Again as Octatonic said, if you want to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. Whatever you choose to do, you need to be using more calories doing it, than the calories you have taken on during the day.

Good luck, and have fun!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Take up cycling join a club and get into time trailling it is an obsession that you'll love and hate equally ;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I too have taken to doing something about being old, lethargic and fat. Im drinking from the fountain of youth! the lethargic and fat needs more contemplation yet. ;-)
    I sort of enjoy cycling, but not that competitive head down arse up lycra clad thing. In the last week of September I reasoned that I should cycle 250 miles by tthe end of the year.
    I've just turned 60 and so about 20 miles a week in two or three sessions seems reasonable on a normal bike.
    One thing I find useful as a prompt is a phone app that logs your exercise. I don't care about heart beats or max pace or total ascent or decent (it should be the same if you get back to the start). I use something called endomondo, it's free and suits my simple needs. I don't suggest posting your results on social media as these apps encorage you to do. Make it a personal challenge and only you can win.
    Diet gets easier as you wean yourself of shyte snacks, take aways and sugar based anything. Find the meals you like and start from there, cook from scratch but make too much and freeze a portion for another day, say when you're back from your run/swim/cycle/squash session.
    I'm proof that you are not alone in your quest. I topped 250Lbs at one stage and a fraction under 6 feet tall. I'm down to 5Ft 10" now ;-)

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    A big plus one for idea that the best exercises are the ones you enjoy rather than trtingbto push yourself into things you hate  

Dumb macho memes and naff slogan t-shirts are no match for finding something you enjoy. I suspect the best thing is a balance between weights and cardio. Start slowly and start with light weights. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Sporky said:
    Motivation is a myth that people use to not do something they don't want to do. If you actually want to lose weight you'll do it.

Calorie counting is the only thing that works, though there are lots of ways of doing it. 
    No, disagree. Since being diagnosed with elevated blood pressure in the summer last year I've been going to the gym twice a week until a couple of months back (I knocked off because I was getting a lot of exercise digging footings for my workshop extension).

In that time, started beginning of October last year I have gradually increased the number of calories burnt in a 2 gym session from 500 to 1500. I lost 11kg and did not vary my diet even slightly. I like food, but I also do not like fish and chips more than once a month, actively dislike pizza and really like proper home cooked food with lots of veg. My blood pressure has come down a bit, but realistically I've probably got another 10kg to lose.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I've been going to the gym since June, and love it now

What got me started was a drunken conversation with a mate who had fallen out of the habit. We both signed up to a local gym there and then in the bar... Yay smartphones

After that the pain of actually going was secondary to the pain of potentially wasting my money! After a few weeks it just became a habit
    All practice and no theory
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited October 2018
    As has been said, you can't out train a bad diet, it is ALL about what you eat.

In May this year I was near 15 stone (5' 7"!) and miserable after spending years trying every fad diet and gym method going, nothing seemed to be working.

I decided to join weight watchers as a last resort on July 1st and yesterday weighed in at 12stone 4lb it's all online so no weigh-ins at the local church hall but it has taught me how to gauge portions and think before munching!!

I don't go to the gym now but may consider it again when I reach my goal, going to the gym does not make you thin. I'm lucky in as much as I walk 10 miles a day for work so am fairly fit but that alone wouldn't shift the weight.

I have no affiliation with them at all but it does work for me, how it works long term I'm not sure but will keep going as still want to shift another stone or so.

Anyone can do it.......honestly....and I've not felt so good in years.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Thanks guys yeah i know diet is a huge factor. I'm going to spend some time going over kettlebell fundamentals this weekend, before i start swinging them around again. 
    If i can maintain for six weeks it'll become a habit then. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    dafuzz said:
    I've been going to the gym since June, and love it now

What got me started was a drunken conversation with a mate who had fallen out of the habit. We both signed up to a local gym there and then in the bar... Yay smartphones

After that the pain of actually going was secondary to the pain of potentially wasting my money! After a few weeks it just became a habit
    Good on you for signing up there and then!

I’ve frozen my membership atm due to my health, but really do miss going.  I used to get through a load of podcasts and it became part of my routine.

I’ve promised myself when I’m back to 100%  that I will get a mountain bike & make the most of it regardless of weather.  Something to look forward to  =)