Feedback and Advice Includes example track (Classic Oasis B-side content)

Hi Guys

Looking for some feedback/advice as I am a complete novice with recording. I recorded the following track last night with a  Mac book pro with Logic Pro X, Clarett 8 pre x, 2 shure sm81 mics for acoustic, Shure ksm9 for vocals. I stuck a couple of Logic Pro x presets over the tracks. Guitar and Vocal were recorded at same time and I used a drum loop to keep time as I have never been able to use a click track.

Hoping expert ears can help give advice on how to improve the recording, here is what I know is wrong

1 - Recorded in a completely untreated room (SE Space shield on the vocal mic)
2 - No mixing mastering just tracks bounced straight to mp3 due to lack of knowledge 
3 - Sounds from each track bleed into one another. I expected the guitar and vocal mics to pick up each other as we recorded live but I can even hear the drum loop on the guitar and vocal tracks despite using Sennheiser HD 280 pro & DT 770 pro headphones. So the mics are picking this up even though it is only playing through the headphones?

What else not listed above can anyone say is wrong... leaving myself open a bit here so please be kind. Any tips on resolving the above?

Feel free to also comment on performance, it was just a jam so know it's not perfect lol
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Initial thoughts are I really like your vocals 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2041
    Initial thoughts are I really like your vocals 
    Lol I would be flattered but my mate is the singer  =) I will says thanks on his behalf. BTW the Neumann KSM184 mics have not arrived yet hence using the Shure sm81’s in this. Maybe harsh to judge them on my track but you might be able to take something from it whether it’s positive or negative. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    The acoustic sound is pretty good I think. Not a fan of the effects on the voice, it sounds weirdly chorused and a bit over bright to me. The drum spill isn't a problem at normal listening volume.
    Stuckfast said:
    The acoustic sound is pretty good I think. Not a fan of the effects on the voice, it sounds weirdly chorused and a bit over bright to me. The drum spill isn't a problem at normal listening volume.
    Thanks @Stuckfast. The vocal effect is Dance Vocal preset on logic pro x, I need to invest in a decent plugin with a wider range of better vocal presets or spend the time learning how to create the effects myself. The former would be a good start if anyone has any recommendations and the latter I will need to get round to when I have the time.

Is the drum (or any other sound) spill normal when recording with mics? Both sets of headphones I thought were high enough quality to prevent this.
    Another sound I can often hear which I didn’t mention before because I couldn’t describe it (till it dawned on me just now) is like the sound when you put your ear to a sea shell. Hopefully that will make sense to someone?? Lol
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I think that might be the weird chorus effect I was talking about. Sounds as though the preset might use a very heavily chorused reverb, or something like that?
    Stuckfast said:
    I think that might be the weird chorus effect I was talking about. Sounds as though the preset might use a very heavily chorused reverb, or something like that?
    That’s possible, I haven’t paid attention to whether it happens with the preset on vs off. Will try that. The singer likes the preset on while he records so could well be that.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'm no expert but the levels of the mix are off. The level of the acoustic guitar needs to be brought up to match the levels of the vocals.
    Some compression on the vocals would help keep the dynamic range narrower. 
    To me, the effect on the vocal is acceptable if you're going for that sound, it would be less obvious once you bring up the levels of the guitar track anyway.

How are you micing the guitar? It sounds rather tinny to me, lots of good high end but lacking in body and warmth. 
    Branshen said:
    I'm no expert but the levels of the mix are off. The level of the acoustic guitar needs to be brought up to match the levels of the vocals.
    Some compression on the vocals would help keep the dynamic range narrower. 
    To me, the effect on the vocal is acceptable if you're going for that sound, it would be less obvious once you bring up the levels of the guitar track anyway.

How are you micing the guitar? It sounds rather tinny to me, lots of good high end but lacking in body and warmth. 
    Thanks @Branshen ;

Yep track was unmixed and just bounced straight to mp3 but levels did sound more balanced on Logic Pro X through my speakers before the bounce. I will try bringing the vocal in a bit or the guitar up (or both) and see how that sounds.

Mics were x y position Shure SM81's which I am replacing with Neumann KSM 184s due this week. I have a Shure ASM27 which should help position the mics more accurately but this is probably just down to my ear. Again though the guitar didn't sound like that pre bounce to me.
    Keen to hear your revised mix. How far were your mics from the guitar? 
    Branshen said:
    Keen to hear your revised mix. How far were your mics from the guitar? 
    For that particular take I am not sure, there was a fair amount of red wine but generally sat directly in front of them. You thinking too close or not close enough?
    I will post revised mixes and any re attempts at recording. Can also try and take pics of me set up to record, my mic positions, where I sit etc. 
    Listened back on my monitors, I am thinking the issue with the acoustic guitar is that there is a lot of room reverb, so it doesn't sound as clear as it could or the mics are too distant from the guitar or both!
    Thanks @Branshen really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Ok sounds like next course of action will be to try recording again. This time I will do Guitar only and add the vocals later. I will wait for my new mics and then update this thread once the guitar is down.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Sounds pretty good.  I agree about the vocal effects maybe being a little OTT and I would say the guitar gets a little lost at times against the vocals. I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd try either pulling the vocals down slightly or maybe some compression? 
    SteveF said:
    Sounds pretty good.  I agree about the vocal effects maybe being a little OTT and I would say the guitar gets a little lost at times against the vocals. I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd try either pulling the vocals down slightly or maybe some compression? 
    Thanks @SteveF ;

I got my Neuman KM 184 stereo set delivered yesterday (didn't realise how little they are btw!!) and a quick test I was very pleased with the results. No spillage from the drum track playing through the headphones and a lot more presence on the guitar. I don't think this was solely down to the change in mic's but will try and get a fresh recording posted in the next week or so.