Gibson Pickup Selector Switch?

What's Hot
Does anyone know what switch Gibson use for the pickup selector on a Les Paul, specifically the Tribute model if that makes a difference?

I love it so much how it's so easy to switch, just takes the tiniest bit of pressure. On my PRS Bernie the switch is very stiff and takes quite a bit of pressure so it's not as easy to quickly switch between notes.

I did try putting in a Switchcraft when I first got it but the switch completely broke. I've been assured it's an anomaly and that Switchcraft are great but if Gibson use something else I'd try that as I really do like the feel.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Gibson use Switchcraft.

If you’re careful you can adjust the switch you have, by bending the ends of the spring pieces slightly. It can be tricky to get right though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Gibson use Switchcraft.

If you’re careful you can adjust the switch you have, by bending the ends of the spring pieces slightly. It can be tricky to get right though...
    Cheers, I'll try that and if it doesn't work get a Switchcraft.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    thegummy said:
    On my PRS Bernie the switch is very stiff and takes quite a bit of pressure so it's not as easy to quickly switch between notes.
    That will be an Asian sprung leaf toggle type. Its chassis is shorter than a genuine Switchcraft. Hence, the leaf springs have to be shorter.

If you ever fancy more than three switching options, consider the Freeway 3x3-03 six-way switch. With four-conductor + shield humbuckers, all sorts of clever coil combinations become possible. No faffing about with push-pull pots.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    Gibson use Switchcraft.

You saved me 25 quid and a soldering job - was able to loosen it up by bending!

Cheers man :) 
    Just an update for the benefit of anyone finding this thread in the future - while my bending job seemed to work great at first, after a few days the neck pickup became very temperamental then stopped working at all. I assume I broke the switch!

Today I re-wired it all with a Switchcraft switch. The action of the switch feels great, just like my Gibson.

Luckily I was doing the bending with the plan of "if it doesn't work I'll just replace it" but if anyone reading this would rather not buy a new one, might want to watch out when trying to bend the existing one!
    It is tricky to get right!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Unfortunately I took a delivery of switchcraft switches last month and I reckon I had to meticulously bend the contacts into position on about 30% of them. Complet PITA 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    Unfortunately I took a delivery of switchcraft switches last month and I reckon I had to meticulously bend the contacts into position on about 30% of them. Complet PITA 
    That’s no good, but sadly typical given what’s happened to the quality of CTS pots and Oak Grigsby switches.

Why can’t companies just keep
    making things properly instead of always trying to cut corners?

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Unfortunately I took a delivery of switchcraft switches last month and I reckon I had to meticulously bend the contacts into position on about 30% of them. Complete PITA 
    That’s no good, but sadly typical given what’s happened to the quality of CTS pots and Oak Grigsby switches.

I know...though I suspect it is ultimately driven by the end consumer who wants everything cheap cheap cheap.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    ICBM said:
    Unfortunately I took a delivery of switchcraft switches last month and I reckon I had to meticulously bend the contacts into position on about 30% of them. Complete PITA 

I know...though I suspect it is ultimately driven by the end consumer who wants everything cheap cheap cheap.
    If 20-odd quid is cheap cheap cheap for a wee switch I'd hate to see the price before the corners were cut!
    thegummy said:

If 20-odd quid is cheap cheap cheap for a wee switch I'd hate to see the price before the corners were cut!
    It would be interesting to find out how much they were in the 1950s - the equivalent of £20-£30 wouldn’t surprise me at all. They were about a tenner when I started repairing guitars professionally in 1986.

It just costs that much to make a product of that quality and reliability, and if you try to cut corners you lose one or both those things.

ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

It would be interesting to find out how much they were in the 1950s - the equivalent of £20-£30 wouldn’t surprise me at all. They were about a tenner when I started repairing guitars professionally in 1986.

It just costs that much to make a product of that quality and reliability, and if you try to cut corners you lose one or both those things.
    To be honest I was surprised the first time I saw that style of switch at how flimsy the design is; that it's all based around the switch pushing it far enough off the other bit of metal to disconnect it. Just seemed to me that it would be susceptible to breaking easily.
    thegummy said:

To be honest I was surprised the first time I saw that style of switch at how flimsy the design is; that it's all based around the switch pushing it far enough off the other bit of metal to disconnect it. Just seemed to me that it would be susceptible to breaking easily.
    It depends on the quality of the materials and the accuracy of the shaping - done right it will be extremely reliable and last for decades, because all you’re doing is flexing a piece of spring steel within its elastic limit. Nothing to wear out other than the tip of the nylon actuator, and even that is almost perfectly self-lubricating.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

It just costs that much to make a product of that quality and reliability and, if you try to cut corners, you lose one or both those things.
    These sprung leaf switches were originally intended for military field radios. Consider them combat tested. Consider also the heavy handed abuse that they are expected to withstand on stage. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

These sprung leaf switches were originally intended for military field radios. Consider them combat tested. Consider also the heavy handed abuse that they are expected to withstand on stage. 
    Above childproof, vandal-proof and military durability ratings, there is...

... rock’n’roll :).

If you’ve seen Pete Townsend using the toggle switch on his guitar as a kill-switch, you’ll know why ;).

ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:

Above childproof, vandal-proof and military durability ratings, there is...

... rock’n’roll :).

If you’ve seen Pete Townsend using the toggle switch on his guitar as a kill-switch, you’ll know why ;).
    Does he windmill it?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I think the Martin Lewis cheap, cheap, cheap is best mantra ends up f***ing over the manufacturers trying to make a good product because they'll never be able to compete against the cheap sh*t competition. Even when that product only last just over its warranty if that.