Derek & The Dominos Live – Where has this been all my life?

What's Hot
blowinblowin Frets: 7
Despite forty years of buying (far too many) records I've only just discovered this and I can't stop listening. 

Although 'Layla' is obviously brilliant album, I've never been a huge fan of EC in general and I'm really not a fan of Cream's live stuff. But this is just amazing. Virtuosity aplenty, super loose and funky (especially Jim Gordon's drumming) and a million licks to steal.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My favourite Clapton album. Superb performances from all. 

The earlier cassette and LP version, called “In Concert” had a couple of different versions, that are worth looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I’ll have to get that. Layla is my favourite Clapton album, and I actually prefer most of his 70s output - up to Another Ticket - to Cream.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I was never a fan of Cream live either but the band on this one are much more relaxed and Clapton sounds like he really enjoys playing with them. Excellent recording too.
  • I like live Cream and Bluesbreakers best, of EC's work. Layla is good.  I don't have this but just added it to my amazon wishlist
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    I’ll have to get that. Layla is my favourite Clapton album, and I actually prefer most of his 70s output - up to Another Ticket - to Cream.
    I love the Layla album, but I was underwhelmed with the D&tD live album. It feels like lots of shapeless jamming to me. Talented players, sure, but for me the talent isn’t enough without the song structure, whereas Layla has both.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2428
    I’ve never been particularly keen on EC despite him being quoted as a major influence by a number of top level players but I did quite like what he did with D&D and with Delaney & Bonnie.
    mart said:
    ICBM said:
    I love the Layla album, but I was underwhelmed with the D&tD live album. It feels like lots of shapeless jamming to me. Talented players, sure, but for me the talent isn’t enough without the song structure, whereas Layla has both.
    In that case don’t track down the Layla box set with the “jams” disc ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blowinblowin Frets: 7
    Excellent. I'm off to see if i) that's on Spotify and ii) whether the jams feature Mr Allman...
    mart said:
    ICBM said:

Right, that's another on the list. Do these jams feature Mr Allman?!
    mart said:
    ICBM said:

Right, that's going on the list! Do the jams feature Mr Allman?

edited October 2018
    blowin said:
    mart said:
    ICBM said:

Right, that's going on the list! Do the jams feature Mr Allman?

On a couple of them yes. 

It’s this one, you can see a track list and personnel there. They really are studio jams rather than songs with jam sections in them like the live stuff 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Layla_Sessions:_20th_Anniversary_Edition
    Sadly not on Spotify nor available to buy anywhere for less than fifty quid!
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018
    Bluesbreakers Beano Album - Steppin’ Out and Hideaway are THE TWO songs that should be learnt note for note by any keen electric guitarist. That simple, learn them and you can play the blues my friends. Tone/attack/note choice/phrasing to die happy for, all imho mind   
    blowin said:
    Sadly not on Spotify nor available to buy anywhere for less than fifty quid!
    I’ll be holding onto my original box set then!

it is up on YouTube. 

https://youtu.be/cReQzSbscAE
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    ICBM said:
    Thanks, I’d already clocked that that was not going to be my cup of tea. :)
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Yes. It is utterly amazing. I love this album. The tone out of a strat is unbelievably thick and delicious  
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5260
    left me cold and bemused as to why its revered in some quarters but what do i know?      not a lot probably
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Don't like Cream!?!...Wha???  :o

*Clicks 'back' button*
  • The live album is fantastic, very raw and real. Also includes a spectacular err...interesting note in ‘Have you ever loved a woman’ which makes me love him even more.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    listened to this today. Wow..