Huber... the hype is real

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• You cut me to the core. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I like the redwood.  There's a redwood Orca which has been at World Guitars for ages, I was tempted when they dropped the price but they soon put it back up again (although I dare say they'd consider offers).  But again, there's the lingering thought that it's just too pretty....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    I like the redwood.  There's a redwood Orca which has been at World Guitars for ages, I was tempted when they dropped the price but they soon put it back up again (although I dare say they'd consider offers).  But again, there's the lingering thought that it's just too pretty....
    Regardless of the divisive looks mine plays incredibly well - worth trying at least
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1419
    Tried an Orca 59 at GG Epsom and don’t really understand the fuss. Didn’t sound as alive as the Les Pauls. Hideous looks but top craftsmanship though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    west said:
    2 large pics and 2 pints of pics, ice in the pics .....
    A Withnail and I quote ??
    corruption ... artistic liscence with a Demand for more pics ...

My one - not my picture or rug though

Semi hollow...yeah I know it's the wrong way round - burn me as a witch etc.

nice , is that hollowed out and capped ( solid ) or laminated .. can you tell its hollow sonically ? midrange /Air etc ...  tis very nice ... ;)
    one more thing ... Huber krauster II or collings 290  what do folks reckon anyone had both ?
  • Sounds very 335ish to my ears - thick with loads of sustain. The pickups are fairly hot, the split is actually usable when I find them lacking normally but bridge sounds a bit tele.
    Do you know about its construction ...? does it have a model name ...
  • Yep it’s called Redwood. Semi hollow mahogany but not sure on exact construction.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    west said:
    one more thing ... Huber krauster II or collings 290  what do folks reckon anyone had both ?
    I own a 290 and a Huber but not the Krautster although have played a number of them.

I think they are quite different guitars. 

Build quality wise both are great as they should be at this level. 

The Coĺlings has the P90 at the bridge which is quite a low output Lollar version and the Huber has the humbucker which is quite hot. Bridge is different on both as is the neck wood so they sound quite different.

Depends what your looking for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks dan ... thanks collings , i think if i ever got a 290 i would at least get it sorted for a H/B in the bridge
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Has anyone directly compared a Huber Orca with a Patrick James Eggle Macon singlecut?

They seem to follow a very similar design philosophy, and the specs are comparable, but of course the Eggle's a grand or two cheaper.  I just wonder how different they are playing-wise.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    My one - not my picture or rug though

Semi hollow...yeah I know it's the wrong way round - burn me as a witch etc.

That looks very nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I do have a Collings 290DC S and agree with the above it’s pretty different but all Collings I have tried are great to play. The Lollar in bridge I love. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I do have a Collings 290DC S and agree with the above it’s pretty different but all Collings I have tried are great to play. The Lollar in bridge I love. 
    I;m pretty sure the dog ear Lollar they use in the single pickup 290's is hotter than the the ones fitted in the normal 2 pickup 290. I had both versions and measured them at the time.
  • Yeh you are right - @StuartMac290 mentioned in another thread
  • Collings said:
    I do have a Collings 290DC S and agree with the above it’s pretty different but all Collings I have tried are great to play. The Lollar in bridge I love. 
    I;m pretty sure the dog ear Lollar they use in the single pickup 290's is hotter than the the ones fitted in the normal 2 pickup 290. I had both versions and measured them at the time.
    Yeah, it is - and it's a far more appealing, snarlier pickup as a result