Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender: girls that are driving sales

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
edited October 2018 in Guitar
It is girls that are driving sales according to a Fender survey. It "seems like it’s got legs". (Yes, they really actually said that).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...uitarists-in-us-and-uk-are-female-survey-says

Are you seeing this locally? Not sure I am.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    No idea what happens locally but when I watch modern bands on Youtube, it definitely seems like there's a lot more females playing guitar than I was aware of in previous decades.

I'd say that in the indie rock genre it's completely normal for a guitar player to be a girl. Possibly in other genres it's rare and even a novelty.

On the topic of girls playing guitars - I watched the film set on a Wolf Alice tour earlier. The film was a bit rubbish but the band are great!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    FWIW my southpaw daughter accounts fo 2 jazzmasters and an SG. Both doing her bit for beleaguered guitar manufacturers and a future GAS crazed loon like the rest of us.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31584
    Well here's my current band, two guitarists and the drummer are female.
    (I'm the lanky one at the back)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2aael1x.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This girl plays nice and it's obviously marketing at the R&B type genres which Fender has always been popular with anyway. It's interesting with some of the dialogue "The Guitar is not only for Rock styles" which is true, but it's certainly not a new thing when you look back and see lots of established artists using them and you hear those Strat tones in lots of Pop/R&B/Funk/Disco genres from years gone by.

It's good to see it's still popular in all tastes and styles and it's helpful that players like the girl here show how versatile an Electric Guitar can be.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    With more female role models in rock music, either as singers, guitarists or whatever, then more girls are going to get inspired which is fantastic. Saw Halestorm the other week and Lizzy Hale absolutely killed it. They were supported by female duo Rews who were also superb. The more women in rock and the less sweaty, lanky haired blokes at gigs the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    The most gifted guitarist I was ever in a band with was a girl called Jess Lewis, she was gig'ing a Fender Tel despite being sent some Ibanez jazzy things to try out. She's an awesome bass player as well. Locally here we have loads of great female muso's
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I teach for a rock school company and more than half of the kids are girls, mostly under 12. Really cool, fast learners too and seem a bit more focused and into it than the boys.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not current I know, but when I gave lessons 20.years ago.it was the girls who kept up the instrument
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Locally no if we are talking about the  pub and club circuit it  isn't going to get lots of ladies wanting to gig in front of pissed up knobheads.

But open mic nights and orgional bands there is definatley a increase but I guess just one look on Instagram shows a mass of very talented girl guitarist.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I've never noticed a lack of female guitarists, even in metal circles where you would assume that there's less.

I would like to see more female vocalists in hard rock/metal, but that's a separate discussion.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    SheShreds is going strong. I am surprised that the article neglects to mention St Vincent or Feist. Sloppy writing.
    Rabs said:

Wow if she's as young as she looks she is impressively good for her age!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Fender must be very happy with all these merry spenders.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Rabs said:

In the description it says shes a 15 year old Canadian..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    Rabs said:
    thegummy said:
    Rabs said:

In the description it says shes a 15 year old Canadian..

I was thinking even younger but still impressive none the less.

She must get some amount of pocket money! lol
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    This girl plays nice and it's obviously marketing at the R&B type genres which Fender has always been popular with anyway. It's interesting with some of the dialogue "The Guitar is not only for Rock styles" which is true, but it's certainly not a new thing when you look back and see lots of established artists using them and you hear those Strat tones in lots of Pop/R&B/Funk/Disco genres from years gone by.

It's good to see it's still popular in all tastes and styles and it's helpful that players like the girl here show how versatile an Electric Guitar can be.
    Saw that a couple weeks ago.  Thanks for reminding me to checkout her music @Bellycaster ;

• @darthed1981 will be along shortly to discuss his stalkee ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited October 2018
    @darthed1981 will be along shortly to discuss his stalkee  
    Ssshhh every time someone mentions that my surveillance guys Jack their price up!

She's Vigier anyway :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Fender are doing a good job of keeping themselves relevant in their marketing and targeting young / female - leaving the old gits with disposable income and nervous disposition for anything but vintage accuracy pointed towards the Custom Shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom