Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1960 Les Paul ‘Burst’ Restoration

What's Hot

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Your skills are admirable, but I can't seem to get past the thought that a truly unique specimen is now gone forever.  Seems a shame to me, but then I'm fond of quirky stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmps said:
    I think what you’ve here done is fantastic. Allowing the guitar to complete its original intended journey is a brilliant idea, something I appreciate the romanticism of.

The standard of work is outstanding and that paint job is incredible. Good for you.

Thanks man- that’s how I see it too :+1: IMO this was a Burst that took an odd turn and became a bit of a freak, and only revealed as such by happenstance, so my aim was to take it back to the glory of its original incarnation, and I have ZERO regrets :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I think it's a legitimate angle and the result is spectacular. Brave man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow your a very talented guy I love seeing your threads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    From the perspective of someone who likes guitars and comes here to read stuff about guitars, I really enjoyed that and seeing how you went about achieving your goal. Thanks.

I was gutted when you cut that third pickup out though, but you won me over by doing it because you wanted to do it. Not because it might have more value. When you play it, you will play with that in your heart. It's a better guitar now than if you had restored it just because you couldn't part with some original mythical status. The one off custom that got away, C'est La Vie. 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Wow, simply stunning. 
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2018
    A quick question. Where did the replacement fingerboard come from? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I think I'd have personally gone for restoration to a black beauty but it's not my guitar and I don't have the skills so my opinion on that is irrelevant.  You got the guitar you wanted in the end and your craftsmanship is awesome.  I'm amazed at how almost unnoticeable the pickup channel and routing are and the finish looks incredible. 

Great work! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A quick question. Where did the replacement fingerboard come from? 
    A 1961 SG Standard :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    I think what you’ve here done is fantastic. Allowing the guitar to complete its original intended journey is a brilliant idea, something I appreciate the romanticism of.

The standard of work is outstanding and that paint job is incredible. Good for you.

I endorse this - always interesting to see such talented work @jumping@shadows ; - Others don't agree with the direction you have taken on this, but I dare say if you were undertaking such work for a client, who wished to retain it as a black Custom, then that option would have been available - But I have no issue with the final results - Totally in awe of your work so thanks for posting

I sometimes watch Fast n Loud from the USA on car restoration/hot rod and again admire how they turn a total rust bucket into a driving machine - I sometimes think of you and such projects when viewing this program
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmps said:

I endorse this - always interesting to see such talented work @jumping@shadows ; - Others don't agree with the direction you have taken on this, but I dare say if you were undertaking such work for a client, who wished to retain it as a black Custom, then that option would have been available - But I have no issue with the final results - Totally in awe of your work so thanks for posting

I sometimes watch Fast n Loud from the USA on car restoration/hot rod and again admire how they turn a total rust bucket into a driving machine - I sometimes think of you and such projects when viewing this program
    That’s super kind of you to say, and I love those shows too! :+1: 
    Ultimately this was a unique opportunity to attain the pinnacle of vintage Gibson solid bodies by turning back the clock on a modification already done 60 odd years ago.

If this was a ‘60 Burst that had been ’converted’ into a shredder in the ‘80s by being routed for a Khaler, having the neck shaved, custom shark inlays and body binding fitted, and sprayed flip/flop black sparkle, returning it to factory spec with wood repairs to the top and body and fitting a salvaged ‘61 SG fretboard plus a vintage correct refin would be a total no brainer and a moral obligation on such a rare and valuable guitar, and what I’ve done is in the same spirit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dude. You are a gem of this Board. We are so lucky to get to share in your work. 
     When the time is right for you, I would just love to hear that guitar sing.
     All the very best Phil x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    I can't help feeling a little regret at the loss of a really interesting historical anomaly, but it's your guitar and I have to say the result is a testament to your obvious skills. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your next project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing work. Thanks for sharing !
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited October 2018
    Very impressive handiwork indeed, whatever the perceived rights and wrongs of restoration vs burst conversion. 

But you‘ve left out the key information - what’s the weight?! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very impressive handiwork indeed, whatever the perceived rights and wrongs of restoration vs burst conversion. 

But you‘ve left out the key information - what’s the weight?! 
    Thank you my brother, and it’s a perfect 9lbs on the nose :+1: 
  • This is really awesome. Thanks for sharing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Dude. You are a gem of this Board. We are so lucky to get to share in your work. 
     When the time is right for you, I would just love to hear that guitar sing.
     All the very best Phil x

Shit, I didn't realise you posted here. I love your videos on Youtube for Fretted Americana!

@jumping@shadows Amazing work. Your paint jobs are a thing of beauty.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Can't see the point; sorry.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Personally I would never buy a three pickup Custom no matter what year or the worth.

If that guitar was offered to me before you started work on it I would be buying it for one thing only........status in owning an old guitar. I wouldn't want to play it. Just not my thing.

I would play what you have achieved in a heartbeat.

Different strokes they say.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom