Young Doctors

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Rabs said:

Too much to list..  And its not just about now but like the last 8 years or so in my life its been on thing after another and included..

Deaths

Redundancies

Divorce

Almost died twice when my appendix exploded

Starting and trying to run my own business for which the last 8 months I have had no time for and now don't know whats going to happen with that any more

But recently, and mainly my dad..  My mum who has the beginnings of dementia and this whole thing has made her way worse. We also found out my sister has MS this year.  Also in the last year I have been helping out one of my oldest and best friends. He suffers from deep depression, proper suicidal... Ive been helping him by going to open mic night and he performs which we had been doing weekly for a while now.. In august his mum died from cancer, a month later his dad was diagnosed with cancer.. Sunday just gone, he phoned me up and told me he has now just been diagnosed with cancer..  and its already spread to his lungs..

Add to that.. dealing with the NHS system.. Dealing with all my dads affairs  as he cant any more, all the crap we all have to deal with in every day life and having no time to do anything else with my life for myself.

And that's not everything, by far. 

By anyone's measure that is an awful lot to deal with over a number of years. You'd have to be superhuman to go through all of that and to not have a stress reaction. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs I hope you feel better soon, take it easy man.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2018
    My quality of life was saved by a young doctor. I had a problem - my usual doctor was a nice guy heading towards retirement and he put me on some pills that made no difference. I was in pain but found he was on holiday so I was seen by a new young doctor who had joined the practice. His knowledge was more up to date and his diagnosis was spot on. Some minor surgery later I was cured.

Hope you feel better soon @Rabs ;

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    My quality of life was saved by a young doctor. I had a problem - my usual doctor was a nice guy heading towards retirement and he put me on some pills that made no difference. I was in pain but found he was on holiday so I was seen by a new young doctor who had joined the practice. His knowledge was more up to date and his diagnosis was spot on. Some minor surgery later I was cured.

Hope you feel better soon @Rabs ;;

Thanks guys...

And please don't take the title as I meant that they are all stupid and know nothing... Its not that... Its just as I say, the two ive seen recently were both so young im just not used to it..  What I went for today I think needs a bit of experience... Where mental problems become physical ones..  And the fact that she didn't even seem to consider it could be anything else but what I had told her..

Im not even saying she was wrong.. I just found the whole experience a bit lacking.. It may just be her...  It may be my current frame of mind... I donno...  I guess that's why I started the thread. To talk about it.

• And that is the best thing you can do. Talk about all of it and get it out there. 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I got a life-long undiagnosed condition diagnosed by a young doctor in 10 minutes, that a consultant had missed after a year of BUPA tests, scans and consultations. It had been ruining my life, now sorted.

A young doctor has all the latest training, but less experience. An old doctor has the opposite. Sometimes one combination is better than the other. Just remember they have been trained to do this, they are not just left to learn on the job.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Can you try a different doctor btw?

At my GP if you book online you can pick a slot, and effectively choose your GP for the appointment
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2018
    Rabs said:
    What I went for today I think needs a bit of experience... Where mental problems become physical ones..  And the fact that she didn't even seem to consider it could be anything else but what I had told her..

Im not even saying she was wrong.. I just found the whole experience a bit lacking.. It may just be her...  It may be my current frame of mind... I donno...  I guess that's why I started the thread. To talk about it.

I think the crucial thing here though is what type of experience. 
    I work in the speciality of persistent pain -- an area which requires competent, experienced biopsychosocial thinking to understand what's often going on.  (E.g. in a way that say an orthopod looking at trauma probably doesn't need to think like.)
    And as has been mentioned, it can be the older consultants who have a predominantly biomedical view who miss important features of what's in front of them.  But the younger ones have more experience of thinking in a more comprehensive model -- they're the ones who spot what's driving the pain.
    Even right now I can think of two older doctors who are highly competent interventionists, I'd trust them totally because of all their experience at doing this, but I know they simply don't get, will never diagnose (because they have no experience at "seeing" it) the complex non-structural drivers of many patients' persistent pain.
    It's complicated. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12255
    edited October 2018
    My old doctor was frankly crap, just waiting to retire and burnt out, always seemed impatient and didn’t really listen, when my son was around 4 he had a persistent night time cough, doctor said it was asthma and he will require inhalers for the rest of his life, we ignored it and the cough disappeared eventually and 10 yrs later he is fine, no asthma. If I’d taken his advice he’d probably still be on the inhalers for imaginary asthma. you always got the sense that you were being a pain in the arse with the old doc. New doctors should be fresh and more eager to build their reputation and be more open to new ideas.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

I wouldn't be nervous of a young doctors' diagnosis. they are trained and committed. You don't become a medic without being committed to sorting people out: its not the high status mega job it was years ago. Its hard graft, so they must love it.

I have personal (not me, close relative) experience of huge fkups by older clinicians that were sorted out by young fresh docs with a keen eye and no old habits.

If you aren't happy, get another opinion: they are employed by us to provide a service to look after us. Nithing wrong with getting a few different opinions.

Also, don't forget, seeing people and sussing out what's wrong with them is their nuts and bolts. They do it day in, day out.

Being in an age of ultra information, we easily forget that professionals, by and large, know what they are doing, and that's why we use them.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It's not about the age, it's about their competence as a GP.

The best I have seen in decades was a very young man. He managed to answer stuff that everyone else failed to engage with over 3 years despite my concerns. Sadly he moved away.

Some rubbish older GPs - two would just google your symptoms!

GPs on the whole are rubbish in my opinion. You get a slot to discuss ONE thing only and you have to wait a month if you book a non-urgent appointment.

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    edited October 2018
    Hey Rabs
    I went to the doc on Wednesday, 1st time in ages - I'm getting checks for prostate as I've got some of the symptoms, and needed to talk about a couple of other things - they like to review my glaucoma and heart medication periodically.
    I was seen by a beautiful young black lady doctor who I'd never met before and is fairly new to the practice I'm registered at.
    I explained that it is customary to review my glaucoma and heart medication, so she did and told me to check my heart pills are still in date - a good call, expiry date beginning of December.
    We then got to the prostate bit;EDIT - Too Much Information Sorry!!!

Blood tests next week then a CT scan. I don't think I've got cancer but I'm fed up with having to pee 5 times a night, and going more frequently than anyone else I know.

I think the era of the kindly old family doctor who is familiar with all your particular problems is long gone.
    OTOH getting an appointment can be time-consuming, difficult - and I take enough bloody paracetamol anyway!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    jdgm said:
    Hey Rabs
    I went to the doc on Wednesday, 1st time in ages - I'm getting checks for prostate as I've got some of the symptoms, and needed to talk about a couple of other things - they like to review my glaucoma and heart medication periodically.
    I was seen by a beautiful young black lady doctor who I'd never met before and is fairly new to the practice I'm registered at.
    I explained that it is customary to review my glaucoma and heart medication, so she did and told me to check my heart pills are still in date - a good call, expiry date beginning of December.
    We then got to the prostate bit; I said I'd already had the finger a couple of years ago which confirmed it is enlarged, so she didn't need to do that....but she had to feel it for herself as she was the doc I was seeing, and she got a male doctor to come in and witness it; perhaps she hadn't done that before.  I'm happy to say that my sphincter still clenches tight!

Blood tests next week then a CT scan. I don't think I've got cancer but I'm fed up with having to pee 5 times a night, and going more frequently than anyone else I know.

I think the era of the kindly old family doctor who is familiar with all your particular problems is long gone.
    OTOH getting an appointment can be time-consuming, difficult - and I take enough bloody paracetamol anyway!

Ohh man..  Well I hope all goes as well as it can...  Im not sure how much more of all this I can take...

And also get in touch if you need to talk... We all do and it does help somewhat..

I can see now my thread was a bit silly.. I think really I just didn't find the doctor I saw particularly confident so I left the appointment still worried about why this is happening to me and I guess with all the other crap I am dealing with I just over reacted a little or maybe just wasn't quite sure how to react to it..  Im obviously not really myself at the moment.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    edited October 2018
    I’d take a young doctor over an older one every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    They’re more recently trained, with the latest medical knowledge and techniques, have sharper minds and are almost always far less arrogant and dangerously overconfident of their diagnostic skills.

Hey, jdgm, where’s this surgery of yours where you can get a beautiful woman to stick her finger up your bum on the NHS ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    All I would add is that I think people put too much store in always seeing the same doctor. Sometimes the rivalry (or even genuine dislike) between GPs in the same practice can lead to better, less lazy diagnosis. 

I've seen it myself, where a persistent condition is investigated more conscientiously by a second doctor because they're visibly gleeful at proving their colleague wrong. 

I just book the next available appointment every time, no matter who it's with. I never need to ask for a second opinion for a recurring condition because at least four doctors have already seen it.   
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12255
    edited October 2018
    Rabs , with the greatest respect mate it seems that this doctor thing is stemming from anxiety, which is more than understandable after all you’ve been through.

father in law is always running in high anxiety mode and will fuss and worry about even the smallest things, for instance I’m picking them up from the airport in a few weeks and he is stressing about how we are going to get back, the route we will take etc. On a journey I’ve made 100 times.

Work on your anxiety and worry mate that seems to be at the core. CBT can be great for that, see if you can get a referral.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"