Ideas for a 1979 guitar?

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
Hey all. I just had my birthday, and my thoughts are turning to my birthday next year, as it's the big 4-0. I'd quite like to get a guitar from the year I was born (stunningly original idea, I know). Bear in mind that I'm in Canada these days, but will be making a trip back to the UK sometime before next October, so I can look in both countries.

There is an issue though. I don't want to drop three or four grand on it because, frankly, I don't think I play enough to justify it. I think I can justify 1000GBP, maybe 1500. That pretty much rules out Fender or Gibson. '79 wasn't exactly their heyday anyway, so I don't mind. 

I was thinking of a Japanese guitar from that era, and have seen a few Grecos pop up in my price range. I like a variety of guitars, so I'm not locked in to an LP copy or anything. My only thing is I'm not big on trems, so it would have to be something pretty special to tempt me to get anything strat-like.

So, with those requirements in mind, any ideas? It's a year before the big day, so I can be picky!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Yamaha SG1000? They’re ‘the’ ‘classic’ guitar from that period for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Some nice Jap models in that era - Yamaha SG's - Ibanez AR Artist solid and AS semi acoustic - Some decent Aria pro PE Jap models 

Might just sneak in something like a USA Guild S300

Just a few thoughts for starters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Musicman  Sabre Electric from that era
    G&L ASAT from that Era
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    edited October 2018

Some sort of Jap Les Paul Custom would be my choice,or as @richardhomer says,Yammy SG.

Watch old episodes of Top of the Pops from around that era and virtually everyone was using the Yamaha.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • gretschthumpergretschthumper Frets: 89
    edited October 2018
    Epiphone Scroll (76 to 79)
    https://imgur.com/a/7RGHJtk

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I know those Yammy SGs are much loved, but I always thought they were ugly as sin. Shallow, I know. I've not had the chance to play one though, so that might change my mind.

I've seen an Aria Pro round my way recently, and I'd be tempted by that. An ASAT sounds like a cracking idea. The Epiphone Scroll looks like fun! I'm not sure I've got enough Prince funk to pull it off though...
  • Billy Corgan Strat
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would look for an Anniversary strat from 79. 
    Not all bad. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s a lovely 79 Gretsch Country Gent on here that used to be mine. I can’t remember what I sold it for exactly but I don’t think it was that far away from the top of your budget. It does Jangle to Jazz no problem and dirties up nicely for a bit of Neil Young noodling too.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Fender Lead I or II?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    scrumhalf said:
    Fender Lead I or II?
    There's a Hondo Lead on ebay for £1,000.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I would look for an Anniversary strat from 79. 
    Not all bad. 
    Indeed not. Someone I knew had one which had been routed out for three humbuckers and an MXR pedal circuit, apparently using a trained beaver.

The giveaway was that it only weighed as much as a Les Paul, instead of as much as a Marshall stack.

It actually sounded quite good too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Vintage MIJ from the 70s and 80s are amazing.
    I have had about 20 over the years, these 2 are keepers
    The telecaster is a 1979 TE85 flagship model
    The Les Paul LS80 is 1980

1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    @monoamine - I might have just made a slightly sexual sound. They're lovely.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I’m stunned that anyone would use the phrase ‘not bad’ and a Strat Anniversary in the same sentence. No accounting for taste, or lack of it, I guess but these are the very essential what was wrong with 1970s Strats. 

But hey... each to their own.

Speaking of which.... a 1979 guitar that is distinctive, of its time and affordable. Shergold. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    I’m stunned that anyone would use the phrase ‘not bad’ and a Strat Anniversary in the same sentence. No accounting for taste, or lack of it, I guess but these are the very essential what was wrong with 1970s Strats. 

But hey... each to their own.

Speaking of which.... a 1979 guitar that is distinctive, of its time and affordable. Shergold. 
    the second I saw the header for your posting I was going to guess Shergold and yes a good cool option

Agree on the Anniv Strat - most are incredibly heavy and now IMO seriously over priced - the last 2 I was offered I turned them down for both those reasons
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    There’s always Rickenbacker, if you like them. They didn’t suffer the infamous 1970s quality drop of the Big Two and a few of the other US makers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    Some nice Jap models in that era - Yamaha SG's - Ibanez AR Artist solid and AS semi acoustic - Some decent Aria pro PE Jap models 

Wow, when I read the post I didn't expect my first thoughts to be reflected in the first two replies - especially the Guild as those models seem to have been largely forgotten, and, in truth, were largely ignored at the time! But, as long as you like the distinctive 'axe' shape, they do represent a bargain today: Guilds were very well made at that time. I still have the single pickup version, the S-60, that I bought in November '78. It's about to go off to Feline to ensure it'll be fit for another 40 years. :)

Here alongside a much more modern version of the Yamaha SG:

Back in the day it used to sit alongside an SG700, which got traded for a Bond Electraglide. IIRC, other brands I'd been considering in '78 included Shergold, Vox, Westone and Aria - there were certain some good Japanese guitars on the market at that time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hamer or Dean I seem remember were the cool guitars from that period iirc.
    tFB Trader
    Bigsby said:

Wow, when I read the post I didn't expect my first thoughts to be reflected in the first two replies - especially the Guild as those models seem to have been largely forgotten, and, in truth, were largely ignored at the time! But, as long as you like the distinctive 'axe' shape, they do represent a bargain today: Guilds were very well made at that time. I still have the single pickup version, the S-60, that I bought in November '78. It's about to go off to Feline to ensure it'll be fit for another 40 years. :)

Here alongside a much more modern version of the Yamaha SG:

Back in the day it used to sit alongside an SG700, which got traded for a Bond Electraglide. IIRC, other brands I'd been considering in '78 included Shergold, Vox, Westone and Aria - there were certain some good Japanese guitars on the market at that time.
    The Guild Guitars from that era are cool - Not sure how much I personally like them but they can be picked up at a reasonable price as demand is not that high - So good news for those that do appreciate them

Sure Jon @FelineGuitars will sort you out and I bet when you have it back such a re-fret will further enhance how it plays - Good luck