Gretsch 5422 and Bigsby advice needed

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
Got a Gretsch 5422 with a Bigsby that will not stay in tune. I have 9's on it which I think may be too light to start with but when I use the Bigsby, it creaks and groans which could be another issue. Most of the noise comes from the bridge/Bigsby end of the guitar. Even without using the Bigsby it's not that stable.

The nut has been cut well but I notice that due to the width of the head stock, there's a lot of sideways pull on the strings which isn't ideal but there's nothing to be done with that. 

Can anyone advise the common issues and remedies for these things?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    What makes you think the nut is well cut if the guitar won’t stay in tune?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited October 2018
    What makes you think the nut is well cut if the guitar won’t stay in tune?

Because the nut slots aren't tight and it's been cut at the correct angle. I know this because I cut it myself. 

I have a sneaky feeling that the issue may be at the bridge end as that's where the pinging and creaking comes from. I have no knowledge of Bigsbys and was wondering if there are common issues such as minimum string gauge/angles etc . 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    I put a soft spring in the bigsby on my 5420, which helped smooth the use of it. I got mine from Reverend, via their US website - so that might be worth considering.  

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited October 2018
    Merchant City Music in Glasgow sells those springs for about £13 each iirc (guitar.co.uk). 

I bought a couple on eBay today and got 10% off...
  • I'd suggest 9s are too light for it. I put 11s on mine & it helped a lot. 

@TheMarlin is the resident Gretsch expert though. He might be able to give good advice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    9s on a Gretsch ? that's insania.
    5422 is shipped with 10s. Never had an issue with my 5420 and bigsby. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

The hollow plastic nuts on 54xx aren't the best, bone worked better for me and Tusq best of all at the cost of some zing lost on the open strings. Sometimes the bridge can cause sticking. Can be worth smoothing out the slots on a TOM. Compton bridges work well, and sound great too. Graunching noises can be the little tensioning spring on the arm stud, sometimes just moving it helps. Or the big spring. For some reason they only put a washer on one end of that so it can make some noise against moving against the cup it sits in. A dab of grease might help, or adding a washer, I've put nylon ones and steel ones in, both worked OK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited October 2018
    Gretsch Electromatics are great guitars, lets down by a few cheap parts.  95% of tuning issues are down to the nut.  End of story.

The G5422 had a large headstock, you should pay as much attention to where the strings meet the back of the nut as to the other nut contact points. You have strings meeting a cheap crappy nut at acute angles.  The nut slots at the headstock end of the nut need to be opened up a bit, and thoroughly lubed. - the sharp edges here are a cause of tuning problems  As @Corvus said, get a decent nut,  The stock one sucks donkey danglies.  At the very least, get some Nut Sauce on there, and work it in.

Gretsches do not like 9's, particularly Gretsches with a Bigsby.  Time to 'man up', and get a set of 11's on it.  It's thank you for it.

I recommend getting a Compton or Tru Arc bridge as a replacement to the rattly stock unit.  It's not strictly necessary, but a quality upgrade that you will tangibly notice