Removing neck gloss to a satin finish?

I've just got an Epi Explorer and i'd like to take the glossiness off the neck and make it more of a satin finish like my Tele.

What would be best to do this with?

A bit of googling recommended the micromesh pads from stewmac but that's a US site so not sure what the equivalent would be.

Thanks for any help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can get Scotchbrite pads in the UK easily (I think I got my last batch via eBay?). The fine grey ones are what I use for this although I'm sure you could get away with a courser grade. Even wire wool would do the job. I've also used fine wet/dry sandpaper like Halfords sell for car finish repair.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    King85 said:

A bit of googling recommended the micromesh pads from stewmac but that's a US site so not sure what the equivalent would be.

You can buy micromesh from uk sellers too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Regular-Sheets-Abrasive-Polishing/dp/B003RTABUK

Its great for lots of stuff.   Perfect for polishing frets  or doing finish repairs too.

it will give a nice satin finish up to about 3200g... after that you are going to be re-glossing the neck.   Although its worth noting that a neck buffed to gloss with micromesh is a lot less sticky than a neck buffed the normal way.   it feels much better,.

If its satin you are after then a scotchbrite pad, 0000 liberon wire wool or 1000g+ wet and dry will get you there too

• I use 800 to 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper dipped in soapy water works very well.

Just take care not to go through the lacquer .
  • King85King85 Frets: 631

WezV said:

Thanks guys I think I'll give the scotch pads a try first!