Reaper: is it possible to run reverb and delay VSTs in parallel?

What's Hot
I'm proper new to this stuff, includig routing etc.

Is it possible to run Valhalla Verb in parallel with Replika XT (Delay)? Right now, I'm only seeig a way to put them in series depending on where they sit in the list of plugins ona track.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    use them on 2 separate tracks and do individual sends from whatever you want, blend to suit.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited October 2018
    Perfect, thank you, @andy_k. I'm so new to this, I didn't know much about sends, so for anyone else interested in learning more about how to do it, here's a video I just found...

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    It should only be necessary to run one track. Invoke two auxiliary Send Busses on that track. Insert the reverb plug-in on one Aux Buss. Insert the delay on the other.

Set each plug-in to 100% Wet mix. 

Govern how much signal reaches each effect with their respective Buss send level controls.
    Be seeing you.
  • @Funkfingers how do I invoke two auxiliary send busses on a track? Is it the same way as dragging from one track to the other like in the video?

edited October 2018
    I am an Apple Logic Pro user. In Logic, the Aux Busses are summoned up from a small pull-down menu box in the individual Track info area.

The same task should be possible in Reaper. I will need to research how (and where on the edit screen) Reaper does it. 
    Be seeing you.
  • @Funkfingers thanks, I'm unsure how to do it but am hoping it's possible. Seems odd having two tracks to do it. Thank you for your help.

I am over fifty. I learned to record and mix on an analogue console.

I think of running a reverb and a delay in parallel on the same audio source as a simple matter of connecting hardware signal processors via the aux send and return sockets of the console.

In a digital audio environment, the patching cables and hardware processors no longer exist but the thought process remains the same.

Be seeing you.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:
    Thank you mate, 99 bucks, I'm sure Reaper could do it. I'm one track away from a solution...right now it works, but I have 2 tracks doing what should be reasonable enough to do in one.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    Freebird said:
    Thank you mate, 99 bucks, I'm sure Reaper could do it. I'm one track away from a solution...right now it works, but I have 2 tracks doing what should be reasonable enough to do in one.
    I just posted it for reference, but it's definately a clever little  plugin & FX unit that is well suited to creating and managing fx signal chains, and the ability to save everything as a preset is a bonus 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    if you put the verb and delay on one track, they will be in series.Put each one on a separate FX track, and use sends/ returns to blend amounts of  signal / effect for each independently, thus parallel. Dragging sends around is one way, but each track has a full menu of sends and receives which can be tailored to suit.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2018
    @Funkfingers how do I invoke two auxiliary send busses on a track? Is it the same way as dragging from one track to the other like in the video?

Here's how I do it.

It's not a competition.
  • @Funkfingers how do I invoke two auxiliary send busses on a track? Is it the same way as dragging from one track to the other like in the video?

Here's how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfXzIRa2Lag

Edit: I've just noticed that I should have set the mix in Replika XT to 100% wet, but the principal still applies.

Video unavailable mate, any ideas if there's any others about?

Video unavailable mate, any ideas if there's any others about?

I've redone my video. Does it work now in my original post?

It's not a competition.
  • Thanks @stratman, that's great. It's how @andy_k described and how I have been doing it since he posted. Was wondering if Reaper has any way of doing it like @Funkfingers describes, using one extra track instead of two. 

This works though, that's the main thing :-) thanks for your time!

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2018
    Thanks @stratman, that's great. It's how @andy_k described and how I have been doing it since he posted. Was wondering if Reaper has any way of doing it like @Funkfingers describes, using one extra track instead of two. 

This works though, that's the main thing :-) thanks for your time!

I can't think of a way of using a single track in Reaper alone. You can make it look like they're on a single track by using folders, which will also give a master level control for both effects. But it's a bit convoluted and ends up using three tracks, with two of the tracks hidden in a folder :). See video below.

It's not a competition.
    most modern plugins now use a form of parallel processing internally, eg, reacomp, has levels for dry and wet signal, its just easier to blend at the mix fader level instead of opening up the plugin. I see this as a way of using the 2 effects on one track--do the blend at plugin level, and use one fader for overall level--if you are concerned about using one fader instead of 2, I dont see the problem with 2 faders myself. I set up seperate FX channels for reverb and delay, and use track sends to choose what gets fed into the FX, then use FX fader to blend to suit the track. Also useful to bounce an FX audio track for export, just be a bit careful with pre-post fader settings.
    I love Reaper more the more I use it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_k said:
    most modern plugins now use a form of parallel processing internally, eg, reacomp, has levels for dry and wet signal, its just easier to blend at the mix fader level instead of opening up the plugin. I see this as a way of using the 2 effects on one track--do the blend at plugin level, and use one fader for overall level--if you are concerned about using one fader instead of 2, I dont see the problem with 2 faders myself. I set up seperate FX channels for reverb and delay, and use track sends to choose what gets fed into the FX, then use FX fader to blend to suit the track. Also useful to bounce an FX audio track for export, just be a bit careful with pre-post fader settings.
    I love Reaper more the more I use it. 
    You're right mate, thinking about it, having two faders (one for each effect) makes things a bit more flexible. I'll stick with this way of working, I think! :-)

• @stratman how's Valhalla Room? Any good? How different is it from VVV?

• @stratman how's Valhalla Room? Any good? How different is it from VVV?

I haven't done a detailed comparison to be honest. Valhalla Room is my go to reverb, which I always start with. Then I experiment with Valhalla Vintage and Plate if I can't quite find what I want with Valhalla Room.

It's not a competition.