Massive shout out to The Nave studio in Leeds

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
edited October 2018 in Studio & Recording
OK, so as some of you may know, my band (BlackHawkDown) have been working on an album in earnest for about a year now. After a bit of a false start, we got pretty much all of it recorded only to discover on a final listen that the drums couldn't really be dealt with.

Enter Andy Hawkins at The Nave in Leeds. He's an old buddy of mine from school, and it turns out that he's a damn good engineer. We ended up re-recording the drums at his place, and then he mixed it.

Oh. My. Word.

I can't put anything up in public right now - we're working on a release plan for early next year - but man did he deliver. Even unmastered, we've ended up with a record that sounds exactly as we always hoped we'd sound like live. I honestly can't speak highly enough of what he's done for us. Not only that, but he's opened my eyes as to things I'd never even considered when it comes to recording.

So...if any of you need recording work doing, give him a call. They're not particularly cheap (although not exhorbitantly expensive either), but if you want a pro recording...well, I wouldn't go anywhere else even if he wasn't a good mate.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    That live room looks gorgeous. 
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Just curious, when you say he did things with the recording process you’d never considered before, what specifically? 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Hick81 said:
    Just curious, when you say he did things with the recording process you’d never considered before, what specifically? 
    Mic the drums  ;)
  • Hick81 said:
    Mainly better ways of getting a great performance out of the player. Also, mic techniques for drums, editing techniques and use of plugins which was far more elegant than the neanderthal approach I've been using.
    <space for hire>
  • Hick81 said:
    That live room looks gorgeous. 
    It really, really is.
    <space for hire>
  • Fuengi said:
    Hick81 said:
    Mic the drums  ;)
    Oi, less of that :P
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Thread resurrection just to say that the band my elder lad plays in (Shaku, Leeds-based) have just been recording their first album at the Nave and have nothing but praise for the place and for Andy Hawkins. 
  • I wanna do some stuff there, it looks great!

Bye!

• darhartdarhart Frets: 63
    Do you have any pictures, details and sounds of the original drum tracks and how they were recorded? it sounds funny but it could be useful and interesting to see and hear what wasn't right with the original, and compare that to the new tracks when they come out?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    darhart said:
    Do you have any pictures, details and sounds of the original drum tracks and how they were recorded? it sounds funny but it could be useful and interesting to see and hear what wasn't right with the original, and compare that to the new tracks when they come out?
    Unfortunately, no - we just got rid of them, on the basis that they were simply useless. No point keeping a couple of hundred GB of data kicking around that'll never be used. Also...doing that would make it clear where we recorded the original drums, and damaging their business isn't something I'm aiming to do.
    <space for hire>
  • darhartdarhart Frets: 63
    ah, it didn't occur to me that they were originally a professional, paid for recording? How disappointing it must have been!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    darhart said:
    ah, it didn't occur to me that they were originally a professional, paid for recording? How disappointing it must have been!
    Yeah, we dry-hired a studio, and paid the engineer to set it all up. He didn't exactly do a great job, and the kit itself (which they insisted on using) ended up sounding gash.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom