Epiphone Dot - upgrades

What's Hot
Just pulled this back out of its case, plays like butter really low and smooth action...but the electrics have failed. They used to be flakey now they are non present. So changing them looks like a faff. Which leads me to wonder if it’s a faff is it worth fitting anything better / newer different when I have it in bits? 
All ideas welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Definitely worth it I am planning the same thing for my dot. I was thinking some seymour duncan p90's - They have a page on the website for Epiphone upgrades :)

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/best-guitar-pickups-for-epiphone
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    The Dots are really good guitars, but I can’t stand the stock pickups and electronics. In my opinion, they’re well worth replacing.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Installing a pre-built harness is straightforward enough with just a handful of solder joins. I’d do that first as you’ll get the most out of the pups and may like them.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169

Perhaps a little too hot for a semi but better than the stock Epi pickups.

Yes, it was a complete bastard getting the pots out through the F holes.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    I have an Epi Dot that seems to sit and scream "UPGRADE ME"

I'd happily send it off for new electrics and pickups as overall as a guitar it's really very nice.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sorry to be off topic but what does "plays like butter" mean?

I've seen people use it sarcastically but never known what it meant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    'Best pickups for Epiphone' - proceeds to list almost every single pickup model they offer.

Helpful.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited October 2018
    Change everything except the wood .Do a fret level as well and you will have a superb instrument .I did it to mine .Tonerider pickups ,gotoh bridge and stop tail and CTS etc electrics.Nearly forgot Grover  tuners .
    Alegree said:
    'Best pickups for Epiphone' - proceeds to list almost every single pickup model they offer.

Helpful.
    Haha so true.

She doesn't even give genuine different situations where each one would be best, it's just different meaningless patter for each one but they're all great for rock and blues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Alegree said:
    This typifies the attitude of the people currently running the Seymour Duncan Inc. web media output. Their "advice" is often incomplete and imprecise. Their website used to have a self-styled Pickup Wizard page to assist with generic/cliched pickup choices for popular guitar designs and music styles. 

Philtre said:
    I replaced mine with the SD Vintage Blues Set
    This is the SH-1b/SH-1n '59 pair. I largely agree with this suggestion except that I would perform a magnet swap on the neck/Rhythm position humbucker from Alnico 5 to Alnico 4. I also prefer the humbucker to be covered. Fortunately, SD now makes a pickup of this exact type named Saturday Night Special

If American aftermarket pickups seem too expensive, Tonerider does an Alnico 4 humbucker and some slightly overwound models that might suit the bridge/Treble position. Then, of course, there are numerous makers in the British Isles to consider.

Much depends upon how raunchy you want the Dot to get. Anything is possible, from Larry Carlton to HarrySeven. 

Alegree said:
    Helpful.
    This comment invites the question, what would you suggest? ;) Plug your products here, good sir. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummy said:

It means its all slinky and easy to play, fingers slip over the board.
    thegummy said:

Well, a lot of guitars play like margarine, but then there are some that, you know...

Philtre said:
    I replaced mine with the SD Vintage Blues Set
    This is the SH-1b/SH-1n '59 pair. I largely agree with this suggestion except that I would perform a magnet swap on the neck/Rhythm position humbucker from Alnico 5 to Alnico 4. I also prefer the humbucker to be covered. Fortunately, SD now makes a pickup of this exact type named Saturday Night Special

Well, TBH my decision was based on price, just over £100 for the pair. I've had to lower them as much as I can because they are so loud. Actually I think they'd be great on a Les Paul.
    thegummy said:

It means its all slinky and easy to play, fingers slip over the board.
    Thanks for replying.

I'm none the wiser though, I don't think I've ever played any guitars that were easier or harder to slide my fingers over the strings.

Unless it's to do with narrow fretboards so there's less distance between strings?

Or maybe just low action so the strings need to be pressed down less?
  • Low smooth action. Just plays easy. 
  • Ok. So I have a Fender Strat, a Gold top Les Paul with buckers. I’ve just built a tele - thread in making and modding. The dot doesn’t need to deal in high gain. More jazzy noodling. Imagine stuff like Lenny (not withstanding that was played on a strat) but that plummy articulate tone. 
    With a budget of a say £100 quid where should I be looking.
    I’ve got an Epi Les Paul 100. Would it be worth dropping the Dots pickups into that? 
  • The answer to the original question is "definitely, yes": I asked the same thing a few months ago, got a set of SD59s from on here and got Jonathan@Feline to fit them (because there's no way I'm doing that in a semi - might be different for you) and the guitar finally sounds like I always thought it should sound. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    Philtre said:

Perhaps a little too hot for a semi but better than the stock Epi pickups.

Yes, it was a complete bastard getting the pots out through the F holes.
    I have vintage blues in my harley benton 335, I thought they were low output for humbuckers, I'm really pleased with them.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Had one,TB sunburst,  sold it' which was a mistake...... Upgraded the harness  with CTS pots , Switchcraft switch / Jack, PIO oil caps, fitted a pair of old Maxon Super 70s, a Bigsby and a set of Tonepros tuners., and 335 long pickguard / Custom made plaque..... It played and sounded way much better than when it was stock, looked  so cool as well....so my advice is, yes do it!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Tonerider, or for UK handwound pups about in budget there's Fletcher Pickups and Regentone: this is mine with one of each

By failed, is it zero output? Or a dicky switch, does it make sound or noise in any of the positions? The switch will fish out of an f-hole, you can clean it with servisol and very fine wet&dry like 2000 grade, a swipe either side, per switch side, should clear gunk & oxidation.
    The jack is less fun, the pots need to be freed before that will get to an f-hole. At least on mine.
    I did the lot on mine, it wasn't that expensive. Fishing in a 335 is slow the first time but not too bad if you take it easy and plan a bit, make a template etc.