Mixing Challenge No'4 voting thread

What's Hot

The mixes are in, time to cast your votes!!!!

Vote for your top 3 mixes. If you have submitted a mix you can't vote for yourself. Feel free to share why you chose to vote the way you did.

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

Final scores will be announced after voting ends at 11.30 on the 31st Oct

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/mixing-challenge-no4-i-think-were-alone-now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My votes ...

5 points @poopot ; .. not sure how you did it but that is a seriously sleazy mix that works so well

3 points to @Macca_25387 .. great guitar tones and a tight mix

1 point to @PolarityMan ; .. another good mix .. this was close .. I think the other two just added something extra

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • @Fretwired ; gets top marks for me, Might just be the refreshing change to what i’d spent a few hours listening to Haha, it works a treat and a lovely mix

@Poopot just pips @PolarityMan to second place. Just thought Poopot had a better overall balance of the various elements. Drums were lacking a tad in Polaritymans mix, just in my opinion obvs. Guitars sound great tho. 

All decent stuff guys. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Have to go with:

@Fretwired 5 points
    @Macca_25387 3 points
    @PolarityMan 1 point
    voting ends tonight at 11.30pm
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222

1st choice gets 5 points: Poopot (Most polished sounding mix, excellent clarity and great blending of instruments)

2nd choice gets 3 points: Macca (great sounding mix too, but I felt the vocals were a little buried (subjective I know!), which is why Poopot just edges it in my vote)

3rd choice gets 1 point: Fretwired (I appreciate the boldness of your creative decisions in this mix)

4th choice: Polarityman (sound was a little dull (EQ-wise, not interest-wise!), vocals a little overpowering for my tastes, but overall still enjoyed it!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voting closed
    Branshen said:

1st choice gets 5 points: Poopot (Most polished sounding mix, excellent clarity and great blending of instruments)

2nd choice gets 3 points: Macca (great sounding mix too, but I felt the vocals were a little buried (subjective I know!), which is why Poopot just edges it in my vote)

3rd choice gets 1 point: Fretwired (I appreciate the boldness of your creative decisions in this mix)

4th choice: Polarityman (sound was a little dull (EQ-wise, not interest-wise!), vocals a little overpowering for my tastes, but overall still enjoyed it!)

Thanks @Branshen ... I tried to do something different from the original.

Looks like you missed the deadline though ... :-)

What happened to @PolarityMan ; .. not like him to miss out on voting ...

Fretwired said:
    Branshen said:

Thanks @Branshen ... I tried to do something different from the original.

Looks like you missed the deadline though ... :-)

What happened to @PolarityMan ;; .. not like him to miss out on voting ...
    Ah yes! Looks like I did indeed. 
  • Oh balls I've just been terrible this time round with deadlines. My votes would have been

5pts macca for the guitar sound, vocals were a bit low for my taste but I thought the instrumentation was pretty awesome.

Next up was a hard choice but 3 it's to fretwired I thought his mix was the most creative and while I thought the vocals didn't really gel and the tone got a bit video game like in a few parts the additional energy injected into the track made up for it.

Poopot in 3rd. In all honestly as a more conventional mix only slightly out classes in the guitar front by macca so hard to separate but fretwireds unique take just sneaks into second for me.

I thought this I e was pretty fun both to mix and to listen to.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Branshen said:

Interesting you should say that. I think my previous mix was a bit harsh after checking in monitors so think I have been subconsciously over compensating. I only have access to cans to mix right now :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Cans can be a mare to mix in at times. i wrapped mine up in cans and i tried to sit the chorus vocals just nicely in the mix, but i’ve gone a bit far. I knew i’d done it when i revisited it on Tues. 

What’s everyone’s preferred DAW? i’ve changed on to Harrison Mixbus and that’s one of the first couple i’ve mixed in it. 
    This is such a fun challenge. I gotta keep an eye out for the next one but I don't have a habit of stopping by the making music sub! 

PolarityMan said:
    Branshen said:

Interesting you should say that. I think my previous mix was a bit harsh after checking in monitors so think I have been subconsciously over compensating. I only have access to cans to mix right now :(
    I'm listening to all mixes only on open backed cans (Grado SR80i's) if that gives any insight into my comments.
    Branshen said:
    This is such a fun challenge. I gotta keep an eye out for the next one but I don't have a habit of stopping by the making music sub! 

PolarityMan said:
    Branshen said:

I'm listening to all mixes only on open backed cans (Grado SR80i's) if that gives any insight into my comments.
    We'll send you a PM to alert you .. ;-)

• Cans can be a mare to mix in at times. i wrapped mine up in cans and i tried to sit the chorus vocals just nicely in the mix, but i’ve gone a bit far. I knew i’d done it when i revisited it on Tues. 

What’s everyone’s preferred DAW? i’ve changed on to Harrison Mixbus and that’s one of the first couple i’ve mixed in it. 
    I'm using reaper, mixing on DT880s, my usual setup is KRK rokits.

Plugin wise this one is pretty much all fabfilter pro-q2 and pro-c2, I think I used waves for the delay and and JST clip and busglue on the vocals and drum bus respectively.

Oh yeah and the bass / guitars got shoved through helix native.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Fretwired said:
    Branshen said:

PolarityMan said:
    Branshen said:

We'll send you a PM to alert you .. ;-)
    Will definitely join in!

I'm using reaper, mixing on DT880s, my usual setup is KRK rokits.

Plugin wise this one is pretty much all fabfilter pro-q2 and pro-c2, I think I used waves for the delay and and JST clip and busglue on the vocals and drum bus respectively.

Oh yeah and the bass / guitars got shoved through helix native.
    Mixbus has helped me take a step back from relying on plugins as much and i think my mixes have benefitted from that. Sure you can still grab it as a free demo to try out. How’d you find the KrKs? personally i’ve never got on with them. I can never get the low end right while mixing with them. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Any idea when the next challenge will star??t--I'd love a crack at it
    andy_k said:
    Was going to start the next one at the beginning of next month... give folk a little break... we have stems from @PolarityMan for the next challenge! :)
  • Oh that's cool, Ill have time to try my hand at it too. I did some of the engineering and editing (and obviosuly playing) on this but haven't actually tried mixing it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    poopot said:
    andy_k said:
    Was going to start the next one at the beginning of next month... give folk a little break... we have stems from @PolarityMan for the next challenge! :)
    It's next month ...