SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS Gibson Les Paul 58 Reissue 2014 R8 VOS SOLD

What's Hot
hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
edited November 2018 in Guitars £
And the guitar collection continues to get smaller... For sale is my 2014 58 reissue Les Paul. Condition is excellent with some slight signs of use (the odd minor ding etc.). Comes complete with OHSC and hang tags/CoA etc. This guitar has a gorgeous mostly top with a nice grain and some very light flame just showing through. Lovely dark rosewood fretboard. Looking for £2195 PPG including free courier.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0ri9gaX

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Anybody taken with the current 2017 R8’s owe themselves to consider this. The quality of the 13/14s in my opinion far outstrips the new ones. Bargain price too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    tomajoha said:
    The quality of the 13/14s in my opinion far outstrips the new ones.
    In what way?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    tomajoha said:
    Anybody taken with the current 2017 R8’s owe themselves to consider this. The quality of the 13/14s in my opinion far outstrips the new ones. Bargain price too
    I also would not agree with this. I have had two 2014’s, and they were great. But they weren’t better than my two 2017’s. They were very very good though. I would say it comes down to the individual guitars. 2014 was a good year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Just my experience, the 13 and 14 have far darker boards and nicer tight mahogany with a higher QC. Having said that the 17s were a nice weight and all sounded great!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlloAllo Frets: 137
    55 wasn't a bad year either
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    tomajoha said:
    Just my experience, the 13 and 14 have far darker boards and nicer tight mahogany with a higher QC. Having said that the 17s were a nice weight and all sounded great!
    Agree on the darker boards as a rule of thumb, but my '17 has a darker board than my '14. Generalisations about guitars from these years are never going to be reliable - it will just come down to the individual instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yup totally agree I’ve just never seen a bad 13/14 and I saw more than a few ropey ‘17s. Back to @hyperben and his guitar - someone buy it they won’t be disappointed 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    There are good and bad from every year - I've played a few duds from 13/14.  You can't generalise.  This looks good and I'm sure Ben wouldn't have bought it if it sounded bad!

GLWTS  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    One of my 2017's has a very dark tight grained board, it really is superb
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    Dark boards do look so much nicer. I don’t know why though. A nice contrast against the finish I guess
    Halloween bump
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2197
    Weren’t the 2017’s the best spec’d R8’s to date, ie basically TH spec. But it just so happened they came the year Gibson go bankrupt so they are sold off at near to cost, to generate some cashflow.

I’ve just bought one off here and will receive it later in the week. 
    edited October 2018
    Yes that’s right. Specs and build quality aren’t linked though. I tried about 15-20 of the 2017s and about a third were really excellent (IMO only of course), most were pretty good, and some (not many) were awful. Although I think you get that most years of production. This 2014 definitely in the really great camp. I wish I could keep it but long term I don’t have the funds to unfortunately. 
    Just out of curiosity, what do people mean when they say a guitar is awful? You hear a lot of people talking about a guitar that sounded amazing but there are so many variables in that statement, it makes it such a generalisation. Most sound elements can be altered through pup height, pole height, string height, general setup and even the weather on that day. No two guitars are setup exactly the same and my guess is these setup elements have more influence over the sound than the piece of wood that was used for the body. I personally think it’s all BS. No one is going to say they bought a guitar because it sounded OK and no one sets up two guitars exactly the same in a shop before trying them. 

Anyway, £2,250 is a good price for an R8 from any year, so it should be snapped up soon. Best of luck! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    Well most importantly it’s all a matter of opinion. My awful could be your dream instrument. It’s also down to fit and finish, how well the binding is fitted, finish imperfections, orange peel etc. I had one LP once where the inlays on the fretboard went off at an angle and didn’t follow the strings! How that guitar passed QC I have no idea...! Each of the 2017 LPs I tried sounded different - surprisingly so too. Some differences were absolutely huge. I set them all up basically the same myself. I tried them all at home on my own rig. Exactly the same settings. You could feel the guitars resonate completely differently too. And the unplugged tone definitely related to the plugged in tone on each instrument. I weighed each one also. The heavier ones all had a stronger midrange. And the bass response had absolutely no link to the weight at all, which I found quite surprising. Draw from it what you will. To me the awful ones sounded pretty dead, very little resonance and nothing that could be improved by tweaking the setup. The amazing ones had a very full range tone. Strong bass, airy mids and moderately bright with nice punch. The kind of timbre that would fill out the sound in a band without the need for another guitarist. Ultimately though it is all just opinion. YMMV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Wow you setup 20 R8’s and had them all at you house. I bet the shop was happy when you returned £50k’s worth of guitars! 

Quality control is another subject, but I don’t think Gibson has ever been good at that.

Anyway I personally love what’s being done noadays with the extremely resonant fence post tonewood. Obviously you want to make sure it’s under 9lbs so you get that midrange needed to cut through the band. And the best fence wood is obviously from Brazil, just because. https://youtu.be/S3vbK2GRKtY
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Like I said, YMMV  ;)
    Bump
    Bump
    Bump