Extending wi-fi range

What's Hot

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    Are you trying to use the 5Ghz signal ?
     If so try the 2.4 although  the connection isn't as fast , it is the stronger signal .   I just went wifi for my pc and found this out .  Windows (7) is configured to pick up the stronger signal  and i couldn't understand why it wouldn't use the 5ghz as i could see it on my router .   Once i changed the settings it worked faster  (even though not as strong).
        The 2.4ghz may work better for you over the longer range .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Can't believe no one suggested a big antenna...

Set up a PC to learn some WiFi Hacking stuff... I was able to connect to a building 100m away... All thanks to a silly antenna. Only cost £15 ish.

You need a router and WiFi dongle that have screw on antenna... After that it's easy (ideally there's some maths to get a perfect antenna, but it's not super important).

It's its getting close to half a meter you're not going far wrong 
  • I'm not planning to have a PC in there, apparently this TP powerline thing should work, regardless of range so that's my first port of call. As I mentioned previously all I need is a solid wi-fi connection to wireless devices (smartphone, iPad). Nothing fancy for the foreseeable future, just internet access on a wireless device.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I'm not planning to have a PC in there, apparently this TP powerline thing should work, regardless of range so that's my first port of call. As I mentioned previously all I need is a solid wi-fi connection to wireless devices (smartphone, iPad). Nothing fancy for the foreseeable future, just internet access on a wireless device.
    As mentioned - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JIFYQZM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're a Prime member, try it and if it doesn't work for you, just return it. Think non-Prime members can do that too, actually.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Went through a similar exercise last year.   After various experiments including using another router/extender etc   settled on  these for our wifi. 

They work flawlessly and speeds are superb.    

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1540979782&sr=1-4&keywords=devolo+powerline

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    thomasw88 said:
    Went through a similar exercise last year.   After various experiments including using another router/extender etc   settled on  these for our wifi. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1540979782&sr=1-4&keywords=devolo+powerline

Yep, I have the same thing - works brilliantly for getting a Wi-fi access point down in my workshop at the end of the garden.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • thomasw88 said:

Might look into this, high cost upfront but if its pretty much plug in and play and does the job solidly then that's a winner for me!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Devolo kit is generally excellent - in situations where I've had to use Powerline I've used it almost exclusively, as the cheaper stuff is generally a false economy.

Do pay attention to the stuff about plugging direct into the socket, not an extension etc. though (hence the attraction of pass-through units).
  • Snags said:
    Devolo kit is generally excellent - in situations where I've had to use Powerline I've used it almost exclusively, as the cheaper stuff is generally a false economy.

Do pay attention to the stuff about plugging direct into the socket, not an extension etc. though (hence the attraction of pass-through units).
    Yeah I did read about it not being preferable to plug it into a 4-way. I don't have many wall sockets near my router as the other one is used to power an actual 4-way for my PC. I'd have to run a long ethernet to the other side of the room for it to go directly into a socket.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    edited October 2018
    Snags said:

Yeah I did read about it not being preferable to plug it into a 4-way. I don't have many wall sockets near my router as the other one is used to power an actual 4-way for my PC. I'd have to run a long ethernet to the other side of the room for it to go directly into a socket.
    Plug the 4 way extension into the pass-through on the devolo transmitter.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Snags said:

Plug the 4 way extension into the pass-through on the devolo transmitter.
    Oh yeah its got a socket on it hasn't it? Didn't see that. Its not noisy when running is it?
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    edited November 2018
    I'm forced to use power line adapters, however even my supposedly 1Gb adapters top out at about 60Mb/s which is slower than my broadband speed. Unfortunately I can't lay Ethernet around the house. And I have a sodding great Cisco switch I could use (just runs the office network at the moment)
    @Lestratcaster audio noise? No, they're fanless (so they can get quite warm). Electrical noise I would hope not.

@axe_meister how many units do you have? Overall speed drops for each additional adapter after the first two  because of the nature of the medium. It can also be worth unplugging other items to see what impact they're having - noisy ac adapters can cripple power line.

That said, the slightly random nature of performance does make them a last resort option for me, rather than the go-to easy fix.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28120
    For my workshop at the end of the garden I ran a Devolo powerline set to the summerhouse (about halfway) and then an outdoor ethernet cable. The workshop is separately powered from the house so powerline wouldn't work the whole way.

I had a Netgear set before the Devolos and that barely worked at all. so from my very limited experience the Devolos are worth the extra.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Snags said:
    @Lestratcaster audio noise? No, they're fanless (so they can get quite warm). Electrical noise I would hope not.

@axe_meister how many units do you have? Overall speed drops for each additional adapter after the first two  because of the nature of the medium. It can also be worth unplugging other items to see what impact they're having - noisy ac adapters can cripple power line.

That said, the slightly random nature of performance does make them a last resort option for me, rather than the go-to easy fix.
    Someone mentioned it can have a hum or something lol.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Have you considered setting up a Go Fund Me to cover the cost of the networking hardware? ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:
    Have you considered setting up a Go Fund Me to cover the cost of the networking hardware? ;-)
    Was wondering who the first person would be to crack that joke. 

I'm pretty sure I can cover the cost when we get to that stage haha.
    Snags said:

Someone mentioned it can have a hum or something lol.
    Some of them can have a high-pitched whistle, but that's normally a sign that they're knackered.
  • Just an update, I'm now at the stage where I'm almost ready to move into my newly converted garage.

I've ordered the Devolo DLAN 1200 Powerline linked earlier, will let you know how I get on. Hopefully it'll work and is relatively easy to set up.
    Should just be plug and go. The only thing that stops them is if you're on different ring mains/don't pass through the same consumer unit at some point.