How Many Amps?

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
It struck me recently how many people on here seem to own more than one amp. I've always been a one-amp man, never really considered anything else, I'm not including having say a micro cube or THR, I mean more than one "proper" amp.

So who here owns more than one? And why? For backup or for variety, or just for pure gas?

And at the risk of peeing @ICBM off, owning two exactly the same doesn't count (only joking).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I like having different amps for variety.

I like amps that I can plug into and not have to mess around with the controls to get a sound.

I also like using different amps (and indeed guitars) as it tends to make me play differently.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886

they sound different

For me, it's the same questions as "Why have more than one guitar?"

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've got a few :/

I have a Silver Jubillee head that I use with a 4x12 (but it's rare that I have the room for it) so I have a 1x12 jubilee combo which is my main amp for most pub gigs

I also have a Roadking head which I've used a few times in a couple of different bands..

and....I have a JC120 which I bought in the early 80's, sold in the early mid 90's and happened to find it for sale a few months ago so bought it back.....that one will probably never get used in anger but I couldn't walk away from it when I found it for sale
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'm with @ToneControl here. Its because they all do different things. Sometimes because a combo is more practical than a stack.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423

they sound different

For me, it's the same questions as "Why have more than one guitar?"

This - I have a Hayden 30W Mofo head, a H & K 18W Tubemeister head, a Blackstar 15W Artisan combo and a Laney 20W Lionheart head.  All sound different - it's nice to have a choice, especially when ya in more than one band! 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have 2 twins and a blues deville.

I have been meaning to move the blues deville on for months but I havent.

I bought the second twin thinking my first twin was off to amp heaven never to return. Got it fixed for £100 so now I have 2 twins. They are different models but I only play through my first twin.

Although I currently have 3 I am a strong believer in you only need one amp. 

I dont see a need in having different sounding amps when you have a few guitars. They all sound different too, then there are pedals etc.

And strangely enough I played the most when I had one amp and one guitar. Forums dont help the GAS at all
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 613
    I have 7 amps....purely cos I keep buying but not getting round to selling the old ones

Ideally I just want three...two in my music room and one small THR in my computer room so I can surf & noddle at the same time
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Just two at the moment - a PRRI and an old Crate keyboard amp that I use with Guitar Rig and other software from my laptop. Quite fancy one of these Epiphone Ltd Ed 1939 Century Electar Amplifiers though, once I get the chance to try one.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24208
    2 guitar heads
    2 bass heads

All different, all fun!
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Just 2 now (sold one recently). Custom Stoneham as my main amp, and a Dark Terror as a backup for gigs. 

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    In working condition - Holland L'ill Jimi, Ceriatone Overtone Special, Matamp 1224, Yamaha THR10C, Phaez Hotcat HRM

"Waiting in the wings" I have an elderly Marshall JTM 50 "Black Flag" - needs a bit of TLC.

• Only got one, and a few pedals, but I'm hoping to be able to invest a bit of dollar into my next one - have something really awesome from one of the UK builders.  Something with 2 channels and a boost on the heavy one.

I don't have room for more than one amp, sadly, they don't hang on the wall...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    One head, one combo, one 2x12, one 4x12, which means I have just about everything covered.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    I have 3...
    - my old Vox Concert501 which was my gigging amp for years but these days sits in storage (just in case....)
    - a Laney VC15 110 that I bought about 7 years ago as a lighter, more practical replacement for the Vox. I used it in ambient/looping duo playing small art centre gigs. Now being used in a low volume stereo setup along with...
    - Blackstar HT-5H, bought as a home studio amp (more like a glorified direct-recording preamp using the emulated out). Now being used (through an old 70s Celestion 12") in tandem with the Laney for low volume stereo setup in an ambient trio recording in my home studio.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I've pretty much always has one amp, but as channel switching and fx loops confuse my poor simple brain I don't really need anything other than a good clean sound. 
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I always used to have one, but I ermm, well, bought 3 recently (nearly four!)

I put it down to gas...2 are 5 watters that I can crank a bit more at home, the other two are the big 30w jobs.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Far too many, get bored with them easily, but like elements of each, so end up hoarding rather than trading. That said, probably going to get rid of one for my next acquisition. Current tally, five heads, two power amps, four pre amps, and the trusty THR.

Worst thing is, I'm really not that good. Some were bought as part investments and were cheap, but turned out to sound really nice, so still have them.

Same with guitars, they're as much pieces of art to me as they are instruments. One day, I hope to do them some justice. Got to spend your money on something you love...
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Two amps are essential for me. A cornford roadhouse 50 combo is my main gigging amp but I also play in a covers band playing parties and weddings etc so have to have a back up option. Got an orange dual terror for the portability but still enough power for un mic'ed gigs. Plus I now don't need to lug my full rig to rehearsal, just dual terror on my back, 1x12 in one hand and guitar in the other (tuner and one essentil pedal in the case). If I left the band's I could happily just have the cornford
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Until a week ago, I had two JCA50Hs - purely for backup purposes. I don't particularly see the need for me to have more than one type of amp; I prefer getting really comfortable with one, so I can make it do anything I want it to.

Traded the backup for an Eleven Rack, though...pretty soon that'll have its own power amp, if I ever get round to making a decision on what I want. Does that count?
    <space for hire>
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've always gone with the following formula:

Number of amps required = n + 1

so, i have 2 amp heads, plus a couple of smaller crappy options. Its like shoes...you could have one, but you need variety.