Oh dear, I can't play standing up!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
For years I would always choose to play standing up, I just liked it better. I'm my old age some years back I took to sitting on the cab in the small utility room that I generally play in. I actually decided to stand up again the other day and it completely buggered my playing! Sitting seems to angle the guitar slightly upwards with the front face so that I can see a bit more of the top. I found that standing I was trying to play with my right leg forward so that I could lean the guitar back a tad on my leg!

I need to get some practice in. Gotta be less lazy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    As a noob I often wonder if I should spend some practice time standing up rather than sitting.  The couple of times I've tried standing up I've done exactly what you describe because I'm used to being able to see the fretboard.  
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    I played at the water rats jam earlier this year and had to practice playing standing up as had never done it before.  I make a point of varying it up now to get more used to it.  Managed to play a bit of lead standing up at the hertford jam last month!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    This is what helped me fix the same issue:
    1. Sit down in a comfortable playing position
    2. Set your strap while sitting down so it's neither loose nor  tight
    3. After standing up try to find a way the guitar hangs that mirrors your sitting down playing position - the height will be okay
    4. Besides practicing standing up, you can also practice sitting down with the strap on so the position of the guitar is similar
    5. If you have a belly pushing out the guitar so you can't see the fretboard, then I'm afraid the only solution is to have the guitar so high on the strap that your belly acts as a shelf. Sorry for the somewhat harsh words, but it's a reality of middle age guitar playing!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    3. After standing up try to find a way the guitar hangs that mirrors your sitting down playing position - the height will be okay
    4. Besides practicing standing up, you can also practice sitting down with the strap on so the position of the guitar is similar
    5. If you have a belly pushing out the guitar so you can't see the fretboard, then I'm afraid the only solution is to have the guitar so high on the strap that your belly acts as a shelf. Sorry for the somewhat harsh words, but it's a reality of middle age guitar playing!
    Excellent advice! Of course you can also use the side dots instead of the fretboard face too.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    If playing at home (ie sitting down) I'm always on the acoustic - I find it better for practice. The electric (rehearsals & gigs) is always standing up.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Either commit to playing seated (Robert Fripp does this) or practice playing standing up, ideally with others, a gig volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    carlos said:

If you have a belly pushing out the guitar so you can't see the fretboard, then I'm afraid the only solution is to have the guitar so high on the strap that your belly acts as a shelf. Sorry for the somewhat harsh words, but it's a reality of middle age guitar playing!
    Think Patrick Moore and trouser belt ;-) I can confirm this works lol.
  • I started playing seated, with the guitar rested on my right leg. I switched to resting it on the left leg, which made it an easier transition when I started playing standing up, as the neck is in a consistent position seated or standing.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited December 2018
    octatonic said:
    Either commit to playing seated or practice playing standing up.
    carlos said:
    Excellent advice! Of course you can also use the side dots instead of the fretboard face too.
    Both suggestions, copyright of David Mead - former contributor then, editor, at Guitarist magazine.

I take this idea to the extent of using a guitar strap even when playing seated. With the less ergonomic guitar body shapes, it helps to keep them hanging at the preferred angle. 

carlos said:
    Somewhat harsh words ... reality of middle age guitar playing!
    Indeed. My own body shape is none too ergonomic.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks! I find I don't use the fretboard face dots at all. I noticed this when I went back to my classical and jazz guitar with no face markers and didn't struggle one bit.
    octatonic said:
    Either commit to playing seated (Robert Fripp does this) or practice playing standing up, ideally with others, a gig volume.
    In my current gig I play seated down for dramatic effect. It's one guitar comp'ing for spoken word, so I find playing sitting down matches the stage energy. Coincidentally the girl doing the speaking is a huge King Crimson fan, so maybe it was natural for it to happen that way.
  • It's the change of angle of the strumming/picking hand/arm that causes problems when moving between positions.  Most practise with their arm wrapped round the guitar when sitting and then when standing they need to keep the guitar high on their body or things function too differently (see Mark King, Gerry Marsden, Francis Dunnery).

Put your strap on as long as it goes and reassess!

When other sites and teachers leave you frustrated: https://www.taplature.com/ 100% Unique, 100% Effective, 100% Free!
  • With my current Mesa Boogie rig I make it a bit of a point to stand up while plugged in. It works and I get into that old habit again. This time just more focus on playing tight so to a metronome as often as I can.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you tried altering strap length to be similar to where it rests when seated?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Have you tried altering strap length to be similar to where it rests when seated?
    Necro thread! That doesn't work for me, I have the guitar lower when standing. I hate the nerdy high guitar look.
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Sling it low and just chug your E string. You’ll be a hit!
  • Certain stuff I play is ok with the guitar at a sensible height around the waist , but anything new or challenging I feel I want it under my armpit like Alex Hutchins . Looking at it though I think it is more important to be able to play well and accurate rather than have the guitar hanging near your knees . If you could play amazing and confidently and put on a great show the position of the guitar is irrelevant.  Richie Blackmore ,petrucci , Jackie Vincent  all rockers who do not have+the guitar hanging real low
    Blackmore and Petrucci are OK. That height looks cool. Alex Hutchings too high! Not cool. Amazing guitarist though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here’s some great high strap wearing in action. I only know. It’s and Jackie . Of the four nitas guitar is lowest lol. 

https://youtu.be/WlIxFwln7W4
    Here’s some great high strap wearing in action. I only know. It’s and Jackie . Of the four nitas guitar is lowest lol. 

https://youtu.be/WlIxFwln7W4
    Enjoyed that! I like to see a band having fun on stage