As my GAS for an Orange CR120 continues.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
My GAS for an Orange CR120 is growing stronger and I think I'll be pushing the button after christmas but I just wanted to know if there was anything else out there that I should be looking at that is solid state? It'll be used to play classic rock and blues, e.g Peter Green, FREE, Cream etc. I mainly play Les Paul's but have a couple of Strats too if that helps in the greater scheme of things?
So what else is out there? I honestly can't think of anything that matches the shear versatility of the CR120 but I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for your time.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    If you mean analogue solid-state - ruling out digital modellers - then the number of possibilities is probably falling now, but there’s still a huge range of options, both new and second hand. The Orange is very well-built and seems to be reliable as well as sounding great, but I wouldn’t describe it as particularly versatile - it does a good Orange sound and that’s really it.

But if you want the Orange, buy the Orange. It will do the sort of sounds you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Very good amp for the money, but the head I had weighed a bloody tonne! I have a Quilter now which is ss too. Doesn't look as cool as the Orange did though...
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Very good amp for the money, but the head I had weighed a bloody tonne! I have a Quilter now which is ss too. Doesn't look as cool as the Orange did though...
    Not much does. Orange gear is gorgeous.

Perhaps the Blues Cube also fits your criteria, Zepp76, but it is a lot more expensive for what you get.
  • I'd strongly consider the Roland Blues Cube Artist. 'Only' 80 watts not 120, but my 1x12 is plenty loud enough (there is also a 2x12 combo version, and a head version too). 

For cleans through to edge-of-breakup blues, and to crunch classic rock it's great. The tone is based on a '59 Bassman, so is definitely more a Fender sound than an Orange though, if you're wedded to the sound of an Orange amp it may not be for you. 

I believe there's a 1x12 Artist combo in the classifieds now.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Quilter .   I use the CR120 sometimes at rehearsaas and its supplied backline at a few local festivals.  I personally prefer my Quitler Pro block - takes pedals beautifully and to me is just more versatil than the orange. Plus a lot smaller!!
  • The Blues Cube isn't 100% SS though is it? There is some DSP in the power stage I believe.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for your replies, I don't think I'll be truly happy unless I give the CR120 a go so I'm going to save for it and get it after Christmas. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Sorry for being thick, but what does GAS mean?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    Mark1960 said:
    @Mark1960 - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    I've been trying to find used prices without much success, what would I be looking at paying for a good condition used one please?
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    I quite fancy a go on one of these. I've seen them for around the £200 mark, give or take a few quid either way if that helps.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    randella said:
    Mark1960 said:
    @Mark1960 - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    Thanks
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2349
    dandl said:
    I quite fancy a go on one of these. I've seen them for around the £200 mark, give or take a few quid either way if that helps.

Or if you're really lucky you can pay £349 from Rich Tone for a used one that's bashed to fuck - https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/orange_cr120_c_combo_2nd_hand-yorange80058/
  • I just saw a video from Dave Simpson who is a massive fan of the CR120 comparing it to a Boss Katana

His channel also has a massive series of videos where he emulates different artists sounds with the CR120 which is well worth watching if you do end up getting one. 
    He does waffle on... but on that evidence, the Orange is miles better than the Katana.

The Katana has a horrible bloated, grainy, oddly hollow broken-up sound, whereas the Orange just sounds like a proper electric guitar amp - not exactly like a valve amp, but good in its own way. It's nothing to do with the midrange - not having a mid *control* does not mean that an amp has no mids :).

I still have yet to hear a demo of the Katana that sounds good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    ICBM said:
    He does waffle on... but on that evidence, the Orange is miles better than the Katana.

The Katana has a horrible bloated, grainy, oddly hollow broken-up sound, whereas the Orange just sounds like a proper electric guitar amp - not exactly like a valve amp, but good in its own way. It's nothing to do with the midrange - not having a mid *control* does not mean that an amp has no mids :).

I still have yet to hear a demo of the Katana that sounds good.
    I agree, I think if I'd bought the Orange I'd probably still have it. 
    Bluebeard said:
    I just saw a video from Dave Simpson who is a massive fan of the CR120 comparing it to a Boss Katana

His channel also has a massive series of videos where he emulates different artists sounds with the CR120 which is well worth watching if you do end up getting one. 
    Where do you think my GAS started?!  ;)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I’ve had the CR120 and it’s great, nothing quite like it for THAT sound.

however, since I’ve had the Acoustic 150, I don’t think I have heard a better SS amp. 

Bur if if you want orange sound you can’t go wrong with the CR120
    I've come into a little money so have put up a wanted ad but am quite tempted to go new as Andertons are doing them for £319 that's fifty quid cheaper than everywhere else. What to do?
    Well... today I played a CR60 combo - the first time I’ve heard one in person.

Massively disappointing.

After all I’d heard about them, I was expecting a quite valve-like tone, if not response. What I actually heard was a totally generic solid-state sound - chunky but flat and lifeless cleans, and the typical dirty sound where there is a buzzy distortion sitting on top of, and separate from, a cleaner sound underneath.

I had wondered how they’d managed to get a much better sound out of what is very conventional solid-state components and topology, and the answer is... they haven’t. It sounds like amps using this technology always do. In fact it sounds exactly like it’s name implies - it’s just a big Crush.

I really don’t get why they’ve been hyped so much now. To say it was a let-down is a huge understatement.

On the bright side the reverb is really good...