Bowie at Glastonbury 2000

Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
edited November 2018 in Music
Recorded this when it was on and finally getting around to watching it, great stuff, he's on form.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    I've just watched it too. It was brilliant - a perfect combination of being almost eerily like the records but with live energy and some clever arrangement variations. The only one I didn't really like was the first bit of Heroes, it jarred a bit - but I loved Let's Dance, that worked beautifully. Top musicianship from the whole band - but I doubt you get to play with Bowie unless you're quite good ;).

The best Glastonbury headline performance? Quite likely... the only other contender I can think of was Neil Young.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Got a bit of discussion in an earlier Discussion about the instrument swapping. I’m not a huge Bowie fan but I really enjoyed watching that set ( on the iPlayer- why do you need to record stuff off the BBC?) the version of Let’s Dance particularly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I’m watching it now....I remember it from the original broadcast, but haven’t seen it since then (and I understand they’re showing some songs missed out originally). 

One of the greats for sure. 
  • I’m watching it now....I remember it from the original broadcast, but haven’t seen it since then (and I understand they’re showing some songs missed out originally). 

One of the greats for sure. 
    It’s still the edited version, to see the full version you have to buy the forthcoming CD+ DVD ( or wait for someone to stick it on YouTube).

Just watched Boy George covering Let’s Dance on BBC4; good band as well. George’s voice not what it was ( if it ever was, I saw him live once at a festival when he couldn’t sing then fell off the stage). 
  • Hmmm, after recently watching the Reality Tour DVD i’d say that’s much stronger than the Glastonbury performance.
  • ICBM said:

The best Glastonbury headline performance? Quite likely... the only other contender I can think of was Neil Young.
    -Chic (2013?) were also fantastic. They played Lets Dance too :) 
  • ICBM said:

-Chic (2013?) were also fantastic. They played Lets Dance too :) 
    Was it that long ago? Gosh ( I saw them in Birmingham same tour). IIRC they weren’t on the main stage so don’t count as headliners? 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited November 2018
    I actually didn't recognise Let's Dance initially.

Also watching Culture Club now and no his voice isn't what it was but no one else could sound the same so he's laughing. I saw them at Epsom races this year to and that was a great night.

Oooh Wham cover not so sure
  • Tone71 said:
    I actually didn't recognise Let's Dance initially.

Also watching Culture Club now and no his voice isn't what it was but no one else could sound the same so he's laughing. I saw them at Epsom races this year to and that was a great night.

Oooh Wham cover not so sure
    Led Zep now! Well sort of in a one song to the tune of another type way. 

Sorry, yes, Bowie at Glastonbury if it’s still on the iPlayer worth a watch. 
  • A friend of mine is a big Bowie fan and went to Glastonbury that year to watch him. Halfway through the set, someone crowd surfed past him and kicked him in the head accidentally, causing him to say “fuck sake” from the pain. A guy stood in front of him thought my mate had addressed him, so turned around and punched him square in the face, knocking him out. He then spent the rest of the set in the first aid tent 
  • ICBM said:
    I've just watched it too. It was brilliant - a perfect combination of being almost eerily like the records but with live energy and some clever arrangement variations. The only one I didn't really like was the first bit of Heroes, it jarred a bit - but I loved Let's Dance, that worked beautifully. Top musicianship from the whole band - but I doubt you get to play with Bowie unless you're quite good ;).

I was there for both Bowie and Neil Young. Both were amazing, particularly Bowie who goes down as one of the best gigs i've ever seen. I was only 22 at the time, I knew a bit of Bowie but I was amazed that I knew pretty much the whole set!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I was there too.  Genuine tingles the whole way through, and definitely one of my favourite Glastonbury moments. 

I'm more familiar now with some of the album tracks he played (eg the Station to Station stuff), so it's been great watching it again.  I didn't know Wild is the Wind back then, so that was quite a surprise in retrospect to see it was his opening number.

I think the DVD version will have more tracks than on the iPlayer version - tempting to put in a request for that as an xmas pressie!

Having real trouble with the fact that this was nearly 20 years ago now!  It seems like 10 at the most, but then many of my Glastonbury memories are a bit temporally blurred... 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here