Recommendation sought - noise issues

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited November 2018 in Amps
i have a noisy power issue in my house. I know what it is, we have poweline network extender thingys, and these transmit your internets at high frequency across your houses power infrastructure.

Trouble is, my amp is picking it up. And when I kick a compressor in it’s really quite bad.

So, can anyone recommend an affordable power conditioning doodab? Like a plugboard or something like that.

(Keeping the Deluxe Reverb for now)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    I shall just address the RFI issue. Best bet, get rid of power line devices and use copper or/and proper wi fi for network.
    Otherwise. You are gettting the breakthrough on a 68 Deluxe? There are a few valve amps that did not have input grid stoppers or they were of low value. ICBM will surely know. 
    There is often little you can do to keep RF out of gear externally but you could try a curly lead and wind it round some clip on ferrites?

Power "conditioners" are going to do Jack S because it its the power CABLE that is radiating. After all the trouble we had with mains borne babby alarms 30 odd years ago I am staggered these things are legal!

Dave.
  • @ecc83 unfortunately the power line needs to stay, at least until I figure out if I can run copper unobtrusively. I work from home and maintaining decent internet is a must for my job - even the best WiFi won’t be reliable enough.

Yes it’s a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb - the reissue ones, not an original.

it seems that for now if I want to play I’ll just have to unplug the power line whilst the amp is on.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited November 2018
    Keep the amp for as long as possible....is what I did.

Power conditioner plugboards start at about £40 - would it do the job? Don't know.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Probably the most inelegant solution, but 20m+ ethernet cables do exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • is the amp really needed at home ?  if your not rehearsing then why not use a software modeller n a interface  with your pc / mac / tablet / phone ? 
    btw - Im using the powerline extenders around house n need net access for work - but not experiencing your noise issues with valve amps - is the 68 DRRI particularly sensitive or is it a rogue / microphonic valve youve got in V1 etc ? 

I found this - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/1067548-fender-68-custom-deluxe-reverb-common-problems-fixes-upgrades.html ;

also consider changing extenders - ? 

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-for-2018-3490638/

or look at Mesh ( new to me ) 

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-mesh-wi-fi-network-systems-2018-3661110/

good luck btw 
  • @JMP220478 no, the amp isn’t needed at home, but I do jam with a 3 piece and session for a friend occasionally so I do need one - plus I like amps and don’t like modellers!

interesting that your power line isn’t causing you issues. Which ones do you have? I’ve only had them for two weeks or so so won’t be investing in mesh or changing them out any time soon. Thanks for your input
  • @ICBM @RiftAmps any insight into amp noise of this kind? It’s like a sort of helicopter style repeated thudding. Wasn’t there before this power line was used.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A couple of these got rid of powerline noise out in my studio:

Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8KO5Bb0C46DXS
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    @ecc83 unfortunately the power line needs to stay, at least until I figure out if I can run copper unobtrusively. I work from home and maintaining decent internet is a must for my job - even the best WiFi won’t be reliable enough.

Yes it’s a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb - the reissue ones, not an original.

it seems that for now if I want to play I’ll just have to unplug the power line whilst the amp is on.
    What sort of download/upload speeds do you get? I admit mine is pretty low, 8.5M down, 0.6M up but it is exactly the same on 2  PCs on ethernet as it is into this HP i3 laptop on Wireless*. Have you really looked into the latest and best wireless kit? It is likely FAR better than your router's wireless capability . You can buy repeaters that either "transpond" the router signal or, better I think, connect via an ethernet RJ45 and site optimally.
    Have you investigated Mini-Truncking?

You can almost always RF proof amplifiers but it can take quite some work and cost.

*I actually extended my router via CAT5e through the house to a T-P Link wireless TX  so that I could get a better signal out in the garden but the internet around the house is as solid as a rock.

Dave.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Interesting - I get bad noise on one of my amps (Mesa DC3) hadn`t considered it could be the internet powerline jobbie. Also interesting in that I have a 68 Princeton, and that is unaffected.

Seems to affect mine only on the gain channels - can the noise (or what is causing the noise) have any adverse affect on the amp?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    If you're having noise issues then you want an amp with digital reverb - spring tanks are one of the major causes of noise pickup.

You can check if it's this (or how much of it is) simply by turning the reverb off.

If it's not that, a simple power conditioner probably won't help much, since it won't fully isolate the amp from the mains.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I used to use power line networking and did get noise with one of my amps (Blackstar HT-20) but not with the other (Orange Rocker 30).  Neither have spring reverb, so I think it's just luck.  I never tried anything to find out if it was mains or RF related - the noise was not audible when playing anyway so once I realised what it was and that the amp wasn't faulty I just ignored it.
  • Picking this up from the dead - I've started running a HX Stomp (ok, so modellers arent so bad) and unbelievably the powerline causes noise over this as well.

Interestingly when certain effects are on its not a problem - like the Growler patch - but when running an amp model and using headphones with the Stomp its still picking up the powerline interfaces.

Very odd. I suppose nothing much I can do still?

• sxardsxard Frets: 35
    I also have a power line that interferes with amps (some more than others). I just switch it off when I want to use an amp..
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Are you sure its the powerline? 

I have similar problems (noise in amp, noise through Stomp) but its actually my guitar picking up noise from my PC.

In my case unplugging the USB cable that connects PC to Stomp makes a huge difference. 
  • Its a very specific noise, which can be iradicated by pulling the powerline out from the mains at both ends. just a bit of a pain in the arse thats all.

Its not consistent though - for example its not as bad if everything is in a plugboard. Yesterday I had the Stomp, Pedalboard and Amp plugged in to a plugboard and whilst the noise was still evident, it was much less noticeable than if they were plugged directly into the mains.

I'm wondering if theres a fancy plugboard I can get?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 987
    The carrier for Powerline is in the 2MHz -30MHz region - which is why some radio hams get excited...

Given the widespread, growing usage of that technology (smart meters, car chargers, home automation), I'd suggest that ditching your local Powerline adapters is little more than a short term fix - it'll bite again somewhere (if not from your kit, then a neighbour's)!

Better to look closely at how the amp picks up (under CE regs it shouldn't!) and adress that, as it'd fix properly.

And yes, I know that's into the technology inside, but if the kit's not proof against the problem you'll either replace or fix it at some point anyway - dive in!