Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to fake a tour and get caught!

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    Emp_Fab said:
     I've just emailed the three venues with a link to the OP's article.
    You bastard. :)

To be honest, I think he's flicked through The Manual by KLF from back to front. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ...Weirdest bit for me is why he's actually spent about £30k of his own money funding a tour which nobody will attend! It's either marketing genius as now he's been rumbled loads of people do actually want to go, or there's something a bit wrong with him.
    I worked with someone who spent not far off that (at 2007 prices) on a similar quest -- the buying of social media "likes"; the self-produced albums of music from hired session players; the touring band of hired musos (hello).  This person was also a bit delusional and absolutely convinced of their own talent.  I bet this fella is the same.
    I remember having a kind of "reality check" chat once which was quite interesting because what I was hearing in reply was a load of self-affirming bollocks of the type that Tony Robbins etc. pedalled.  There was litterally no touchstone with evidence -- and I was marked down as being "negative".  A strange episode, and reading about this prat in the article reminded me of it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahh, pop music history is full of stupid stunts
    Auto correct kick in?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    David Brent film in real life? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7784
    literally 3 people turned up
    I've gigged in London to fewer than that.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    That hair advert doesn't make clear what conditioner he uses.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    edited November 2018
    fandango said:
    Give the feller his credit, he's managed to find the funding to write, and release an album, make some videos, bribe folk to like him, and get himself a two-week European Tour.

He might have a screw loose, and he might be a contrived poseur, but if someone can sound that amateur yet generate such media attention (FFS we're talking about him????), then it gives the rest of us some hope.
    The reports mention that it was his mum who booked the venues, so I suspect his parents also shelled out the cash to pay for it all.

As for the media attention...loads of people are saying, "Ah, but all publicity is good publicity!". The problem with that is that he's now on the shit list with every venue and potential support band who's come across that publicity, so it'll do him absolutely no good whatsoever. Not only that, but now that he's been rumbled he's shut down the "band's" entire social media presence.

I can imagine that if he'd managed to fake it and subsequently fill venues, it would've made for a great YouTube documentary. As it is, though, it's just a bit of a sad story and a warning to all who think that buying likes and views will help them.

As I said on other threads (possibly on here? I was a bit drunk when I got home last night...), if he'd taken that money and spent it on a decent mixing engineer and a good PR campaign, he may even have got somewhere with it. He'd probably even have enough left over for a US tour.
    <space for hire>
  • fandango said:
    Give the feller his credit, he's managed to find the funding to write, and release an album, make some videos, bribe folk to like him, and get himself a two-week European Tour.

He might have a screw loose, and he might be a contrived poseur, but if someone can sound that amateur yet generate such media attention (FFS we're talking about him????), then it gives the rest of us some hope.

Now if we can cobble some footage from Outlane and tack the studio recordings from Sasquatch together, surely we have an album, some promo material, some fans (how many Fretboarders are there - 20,000+?), and the basis for touring the USA?? We could call ourselves The Legionnaires or something. And then we could make a movie out of it ... 
    To be fair, we wouldn't need to fake a crowd. Ours was bigger than his by several magnitudes, and we've been "rebooked" by the venue. 

We also have prettier front men 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Isn't this the plot of David Brent's film?
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    gringopig said:
    The website has a fulsome explanation! Makes sense to me!!!

https://www.threatin.com/
    Indeed!

It's a bit "move along now folks, nothing to see here/hear".
  • He's playing here the night at the Belfast Empire Music Hall.  I wonder if anyone will turn up....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Great name though!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• "Live" video.

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    What an odd sorry.

The guy sounds a bit like Tommy Wiseau
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Made it to the front page of the BBC News website now!  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46179210
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    It gets better. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/12/threatin-band-fake-fanbase-tour

There’s guitar tribute vids going up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/IFTrzDLX2rU

I’m auditioning at the weekend for my tribute band, Frettin’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    They should have kept going with the tour.  With all that publicity the next gig would probably be packed with hipsters attending it in their ‘cool and ironic’ capacity.