Which PP3s ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
Our Shure IEM body packs are battery-munchers, and I've been caught a couple of times leaving the input jack connected to a couple of my pedals that I power with PP3s (some of my pedals are a bit noisy if I power them with a mains adapter) - and of course, next gig - flat battery.

It crossed my mind to try rechargeables again, but I've never had much luck with them - only 8.4V at full charge (which causes all kinds of weird behaviour in some kit) and they just don't last.

What brand PP3s do you use and do you put fresh ones in before every gig ?

I suppose it's about getting the capacity right - there's no point in spending on a premium battery that will only make it through one and a half gigs if you can get one for half the price that will make it though one full gig but no more.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Duracell, always and only. I buy them from Costco in bulk packs - they're about a third of the price of typical retailers.

I don't put fresh ones in before a gig, unless I have reason to think they might be close to the end. Never had more than one or two die at a gig, and they've always made it to the end of a set.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    I looked on Costco's site and I could only find the 8-packs for £15.69.  I've decided to try an experiment - I've bought a 10-pack of PP3's from CPC - and they're £3.73 +VAT.  Yep, for the ten of them !  37 pence each !  They're not even alkaline, they're Zinc Chloride.  I will test them out at our next gig.  If they last the gig in the pedals and my belt pack, I'll get more of them and just put fresh ones in every time.  At that price, it's a no-brainer.  The only question is will they last a whole gig ? !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Emp_Fab said:
    I looked on Costco's site and I could only find the 8-packs for £15.69.  I've decided to try an experiment - I've bought a 10-pack of PP3's from CPC - and they're £3.73 +VAT.  Yep, for the ten of them !  37 pence each !  They're not even alkaline, they're Zinc Chloride.  I will test them out at our next gig.  If they last the gig in the pedals and my belt pack, I'll get more of them and just put fresh ones in every time.  At that price, it's a no-brainer.  The only question is will they last a whole gig ? !
    Aren't you the guy who is worried about us screwing up the planet?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Get a different power supply. How noisey can a good dc supply be? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    @Veganic has it right. Your power supply is not properly isolated, get a decent one and the noise will go. 
    For batteries I go to the pound universe type shops and get the offers like 16 AAA for £1 and use them in radio transmitters.  Change them regularly and you don't need to care about the cost (except enviromental).
    Yeah, I'll have a look at the waveform from the PSU on my oscilloscope.  It's always worked perfectly until I put a Joyo pedal in there.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Yeah price is one thing but what about the sound......?

Exit Stage left :astonished: 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Of course, the type of battery affects the tone....  and the wire in the little PP3 battery connector.

I use only oxygen-free, organic, free-range PP3 connectors.
  • What does Eric Johnson use?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    I use the industrial Duracells from Amazon, come in boxes of 10 for 10 quid odd, work fine and last well too.
  • Surely the answer  is 'whatever you can find in the stationary cupboard at work.'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom