Blackstar Beam or Yamaha THR-5 ?

Steve922Steve922 Frets: 38

Looking for an Amp for practice in the house. Two spring to mind; the Yamaha THR5 and Blackstar Core Beam. They seem to be about the same price and both have received good reviews on youtube, etc.

Any opinions to help me decide?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yamaha.

Not even a close call.

That's my opinion, anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Dammit @ICBM came in and posted BEFORE I could crack a joke about what he was going to post!!

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Dammit @ICBM came in and posted BEFORE I could crack a joke about what he was going to post!!
    I'm just surprised you didn't mention the Orange Micro Terror :).

Now that really would be an unenviable choice ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Serious answer....

If you want just an amp the THR5 is a strong choice.  If you want a speaker as well, the Core Beam has Bluetooth so will be better at streaming from your phone.

For a chunk more cash you also have the THR10 and Vox Handbag to audition, and for a chunk less, the Blackstar ID Core 10 can be had for £90 and I think is a great fun praccy option (I have a 20 upstairs I use for noodling in the bedroom).
    Oh, and of course there is the king at this price point the BOSS KATANA 50!! :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I have a Beam, I wouldn't recommend it. Quite handy for (very) occasionally plugging a guitar in and also using as a Bluetooth speaker, but not particularly good at either. 

I actually prefer my ID Core 10 and Blackstar Fly to the Beam. 

I tried a Peavey Backstage the other day, cracking little amp with loads of character, less than half the price of either of those. Also tried a Yamaha THR5 at the same time, it's quite clinical. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    It's a completely personal thing but the BEAM being a closed back with rear ported speakers it just sounds really muffled to me.  

If it were me I'd get a THR5 out of your choices.  Might be worth giving an ID Core a go if you can put up with the hiss, it drove me to absolute distraction but a load of people have them and get along with them fine!  You should check out the VOX Adio GT as they're really quite solid, really liked the Plexi model on VOX.
  • What a nimghtmare! There's such a big choice on every item of gear I look at!  I had considered the Boss Katana in the mix but thought it might be overkill for home use and possibly underpowered for all but the smallest of gigs?

One of the plus points I'd seen regarding the Beam was its ability to play a bass through it on those rare occasions when we have one to play with.

Steve922 said:

What a nimghtmare! There's such a big choice on every item of gear I look at!  I had considered the Boss Katana in the mix but thought it might be overkill for home use and possibly underpowered for all but the smallest of gigs?

One of the plus points I'd seen regarding the Beam was its ability to play a bass through it on those rare occasions when we have one to play with.

I've used the Katana 50 for home use, small jams, a small gig.  It does fine for all three.

They really are very good.