Valve recommendations - Laney LC15R

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 7002
My little Laney needs a complete revalve, and budget constraints along with the rocketing NOS prices sadly exclude the RFT ECC83s it currently enjoys (power amp valves are Harmas).

Should I go for JJs, Harmas or something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    JJs are reliable I undesrtand (ICBM says so but does not like the sound but that's maybe just 'im?!)
    I always found the TAD 7025 HG very good and decent value. Out of touch re power valves but TAD again seemed ok.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Why does it need a complete re-valve? The chances are the preamp valves are fine, unless you have specific evidence otherwise - and even then it won't be all of them.

JJs are good power valves. I'm not keen on the sound of their preamp ones, but the quality is OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 7002
    It started crackling at a pub gig last week (lousy timing).  All of the preamp valves are the same age, so I’d prefer to replace them all and identify/chuck the dodgy valve(s) and keep any good ‘uns as reserve.  The power valves are ok at the minute - they’re just very old (>10 years, I think).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Cols said:
    It started crackling at a pub gig last week (lousy timing).  All of the preamp valves are the same age, so I’d prefer to replace them all and identify/chuck the dodgy valve(s) and keep any good ‘uns as reserve.
    Don't. There is no point and you'll just be running the amp with less good valves and the good ones in the spares box.

The problem is more likely to be the power valves. change those first and only spend money on preamp valves if you need to after that - and you'll only need one, almost certainly. You can buy one RFT for the price of a set of modern cheapos.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 7002
    Thanks guys - advice much appreciated.  Any good source of RFTs in case one of the preamp valves is afflicted?  Not keen on trying my luck on FleaBay.