Wooden worktop are sticky

What's Hot
As it says. I have an oak worktop in my kitchen the the top is rather sticky and I am not sure why.

Anyone got any tips for stripping them and what to put on them? I used Danish oil the firs ttime but notsure ifthere is anything better out there. 

I have started using a scraping tool and the top layer is like a sticky glue when it comes off. Going to take ages... is there any chemical I can use to take off the top layer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Acetone will strip out the Danish oil and will also draw out any moisture that is in the wood. I don't think Danish oil is suitable for worktops, to many everyday items used in the kitchen will affect Danish oil. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GSPBASSES said:
    Acetone will strip out the Danish oil and will also draw out any moisture that is in the wood. I don't think Danish oil is suitable for worktops, to many everyday item used in the kitchen will affect Danish oil. 
    Okay well I am well on my way now getting this shit off the top with a heavy duty wood scraper. Is acetone like the stuff used to age hardware? I bet it stinks too right?

What would you recommend other than Danish oil? I am not sure if it went sticky because of the anti bac spray used to clean the worktop daily or if the oil didn't cure properly...
  • you dirty boy

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    I use Osmo on ours. It’s a wax and oil combination and protects really well, had no water or heat damage to ours at all. I put 5 coats on when the worktops were new,  now I just give them a quick rub down with very fine sandpaper once a year and put on one coat. 
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Have a look at Osmo. They make so.e excellent wood products. I've used their waxes for oak Doors, skirting boards, wood work.in the house.  My brother is a joiner and swears by them.
  • Okay thanks. I've used Osmo on my guitar necks but never thought to use on my worktop!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Osmo is great but my wife has done same to our tops using the Dettol anti-bacterial spray 
    Meths and oooo gauge wire wool after sanding down then use the Osmo
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited November 2018
    lovestrat74 said:
    Is acetone like the stuff used to age hardware? I bet it stinks too right?
     Nail polish remover is mostly acetone. 

Pretty sure you can get it pure, the stuff the missus uses often has perfume and moisturiser in it which you probs don’t want on your countertop. 
    As an aside, acetone will also go through nitrocellulose. Not as quickly as toluene thinners, but either way keep it away from your guitars if any have a nitro finish. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Okay thanks. I've used Osmo on my guitar necks but never thought to use on my worktop!
    Make sure you get the Osmo worktop stuff, they make several different products. Amazon sell it if you can’t get it elsewhere. Make sure you shake the can really well before you apply it, the wax content sometimes settles out at the bottom of the tin. If it’s a cold day, stand the tin in warm water for a few minutes before applying to get the wax mixed in properly. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    GSPBASSES said:
    . I don't think Danish oil is suitable for worktops, to many everyday items used in the kitchen will affect Danish oil. 
    like chicken
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    One of the woodworking youtube channels I watch recently had an episode on Osmo on a worktop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHmZox9WWSE
    The episode beforehand was how to strip the worktop using some new Bosch sander which was quite interesting too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    One of the woodworking youtube channels I watch recently had an episode on Osmo on a worktop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHmZox9WWSE
    The episode beforehand was how to strip the worktop using some new Bosch sander which was quite interesting too.
    @BigMonka - if you like Matt Eastlea check out his series on building a bass (if you haven't already seen it!).
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    randella said:
    BigMonka said:
    @BigMonka - if you like Matt Eastlea check out his series on building a bass (if you haven't already seen it!).
    Thanks @randella but don't worry I think I've seen all his videos at least twice =) !
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I would also add a recommendation for Osmo products.

However, I would caution the use of steel wool on an oak top - any steel wool fibres/dust that get left behind in pores or scratches will stain the oak (due to oak's tannins - google for vinegar/wire wool stain). Synthetic mesh scuff pads should do much the same (if fine enough), but no danger of staining.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @BigMonka - no worries, I figured you would have but it would have been remiss not to mention the bass build on this forum of all places :)

Eastlea is a genuinely likeable lad. He’s enthusiastic, talented, and knows his onions - good to see the young’uns getting stuck in. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    This thread is exactly why we ripped out our beech worktops and replaced them with laminate.  
  • Excellent comments about Osmo. I’ve also used Liberon finishing oil in the past. IMHO Osmo is better, very light coats work best. Never had any stickiness and I clean the worktop with Dettox anti-bacterial spray. 
  • First thin coat applied earlier today. Will get another on tonight :+1: