Acoustic amp at home?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited November 2018 in Acoustics
Do any of you acoustic guys use an amp at home?

I’ve never even thought about it but I love the sound of a little bit of reverb so I was thinking about picking up a THR5A just for a little home amp, would also save me buying laptop speakers as I could use it for that too

I also would like to be able to loop, some amps seem to have a built in looper but I like the small form of the THR so may go for that and a cheap pedal. 

Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Do you have an electric guitar amp? If so I'd use that for home use for a bit of reverb and delay as it won't be pushed hard (I assume).
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    enjo said:
    Do you have an electric guitar amp? If so I'd use that for home use for a bit of reverb and delay as it won't be pushed hard (I assume).
    No I’m playing solely acoustic now, after doing a complete 180 and proclaiming that I was only
    playing electric!! Don’t ask...!
  • I use the fender Acousticsonic 15. it's pretty cheap and does the job. I've bought the more expensive amps in the past, but for just getting a reference sound the Fender does the job. Unless you need one for performing live as well, I would think that would do the job
  • preston61 said:
    I use the fender Acousticsonic 15. it's pretty cheap and does the job. I've bought the more expensive amps in the past, but for just getting a reference sound the Fender does the job. Unless you need one for performing live as well, I would think that would do the job

Though having re-read your original post, you are after reverb, which the amp sadly lacks (would've preferred that over the chorus). Personally I just use pedals for reverb etc
    Thanks mate. I think it also doesn’t have an aux in which would be good as it’ll save me buying seperate laptop speakers now I’m no longer using a Helix and monitors. 
  • You could get a Yamaha Transacoustic and have reverb (plus chorus) with no need for an amp. Or get a really good rosewood dread for the natural reverb effect of the overtones. Not having to plug in is kind of the point of acoustic guitar at home, to my way of thinking anyway  
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Another way to go would be the Tonewood Amp - a gizmo that fits inside your guitar and magically creates reverb (I haven't tried one).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Boss AD 3 pedal (discontinued) has reverb (and controls to de-piezo the sound)

The AD 8 & AD 10 do the same, if in a lot more complex way.  The AD-2 doesn't have reverb
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Sit in the bathroom. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PS66PS66 Frets: 20
    Roland Street Cube would sort your reverb need
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    preston61 said:
    preston61 said:
    I use the fender Acousticsonic 15. it's pretty cheap and does the job. I've bought the more expensive amps in the past, but for just getting a reference sound the Fender does the job. Unless you need one for performing live as well, I would think that would do the job
    Though having re-read your original post, you are after reverb, which the amp sadly lacks (would've preferred that over the chorus).
    Manufacturers doing this is something that really annoys me. Reverb is a useful effect that almost everyone likes (at least in moderation) and makes things sound better. Chorus on an acoustic guitar is almost always unnecessary and usually sounds terrible. So why does almost every acoustic amp have chorus and some not reverb?

There's a Boss acoustic pedal that has chorus and not a tuner too... whoever designed that needs to be shot on sight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all. Plenty to think about!
  • I'd suggest also checking out a Marshall AS50D. It's a similar price to the THR.
    Thanks Mark :+1: 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I used to use a little Fender Champ, but it started playing up so I don't bother anymore.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I'd recommend potentially going the other way, using studio monitors instead, that way you've got great sound for the computer, flat sound for the acoustic and you can either put reverb on through something like garage band or logic, or go the pedal route further down the line.

I think they would sound better for guitar than the acoustic would for normal PC music for example.
  • Just bagged one of these on peach pre Black Friday deals. Steal at £169

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/acoustic-amps/marshall-as50d-black.htm