NGD (Pat Martino content)

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited November 2018 in Guitar
This was a strange acquisition - I went to take a '78 Tele as a part-trade for something, and picked this 2000 Custom Shop Pat Martino Standard up instead. I'd seen it before, but wasn't really bowled over by its looks - it's not (to my eyes) the most elegant guitar that Gibson have ever made. The Florentine cutaway looks a little disproportionate, compared to the Florentines of the 175/295/135, etc  (a Venetian cutaway might have worked well, a la ES-275), it's lack of depth perhaps makes it look a bit of a pancake, and the snakehead headstock looks, well, 'wrong' on a Gibson, and a bit bug-eyed, although the straight string pull is good. So far, so, well, meh....

It's quite an interesting spec, having a solid maple top, and Honduras mahogany back and sides, mini-Schallers, and an ebony fretboard with no markers (it has side markers thankfully!)  Anyway, I did pick it up, and couldn't put it down again. I love it.

It's tone isn't dark at all (as they're reputed to be) although this is wearing what feel like 9.5's, and Pat Martino, I think, plays with flatwound 12's. I don't know much about Pat Martino, and I still know very little about the guitar. I only see the Custom model for sale, and that's not very often. It's simply amazing to play - quite a wide fretboard, and my fingers - which aren't the most nimble - just glide across the ebony. The lack of fretboard markers catch me out occasionally, but it's steering me away from playing hunched over it like that bloke from Notre Dame, which can only be a good thing.

It's like being on one of those slides in winter that we used to build as kids - effortless, but not as (ultimately) painful. It really does play like, well, no, I can't say it, I mustn't even THINK it - but I can't believe it's NOT.... :-)

Anyway, it['s surprised me that much that I had to share it. Just a warm-toned, effortless, well-balanced sweet thing to play. 

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Lovely - looks like the predecessor to his Benedetto model

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thanks - yes, very similar. The Benedetto model really IS supposed to be dark, but having read the internet comments about the Gibson being dark, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. The Benedetto looks ace!
    Call me Dave.
  • That is quite cool. The headstock design will help with tuning stability if you ever pop a bigsby on there.
    Thanks - I can't find too much info on them, but I think the main difference between the Custom and Standard models seem to be the Custom's flame top, which works (IMO) better than the flatter colour of the Standard. I don't think I've bought a guitar before where the looks haven't grabbed me, although I've warmed to it, but this one is just so lovely to play that I can't resist it. 
    Call me Dave.
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    For anybody not familiar with Pat Martino's playing, do check out his version of 'Sunny', really great stuff, both technically and otherwise IMO

Looks like a nice guitar, and quite a rarity too I should think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sweet guitar
    richh said:
    For anybody not familiar with Pat Martino's playing, do check out his version of 'Sunny', really great stuff, both technically and otherwise IMO

Looks like a nice guitar, and quite a rarity too I should think?
    Yes, his is an interesting story - I knew nothing about him until I acquired the guitar, and have listened to some of his stuff - amazing player, with an advanced grasp of music theory (which is completely over my head) and the mathematics behind the music, which is interesting in itself. Even more remarkable is that he was near death with a brain aneurism in the late '70s (IIRC) and completely forgot how to play guitar, learning all over again.

It does seem to be a pretty rare instrument - even more so than the Custom model, which I guess was more popular due to its looks - I suppose for 'rare', you could read 'didn't sell many'! I think they were pretty expensive new - in fairness, they've pretty expensive used, but they're quite a high spec. 

Due to the name and the style, I suspect that they have a very small market, but at the risk of repeating myself, it's one of the - if not THE - nicest guitars that I've ever played.

Call me Dave.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    gringopig said:
    Did you almost say the 'B' word? EEEEK

Lovely thing though!

LOL, well it's already got 'Pat' on the headstock, so I was tempted. 
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    Great score! Always heard these are great guitars but I've never had the chance to check one out for myself.

Pat actually uses much heavier gauge than that in top strings (15-52 or 16-56) and normally runs his tone knob really low which might be one of the reasons some people think the guitar is dark sounding when it isn't really.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Cor!

susbemol said:
    Great score! Always heard these are great guitars but I've never had the chance to check one out for myself.

Pat actually uses much heavier gauge than that in top strings (15-52 or 16-56) and normally runs his tone knob really low which might be one of the reasons some people think the guitar is dark sounding when it isn't really.
    Thanks - 15 or 16 gauge? Now that's heavy! If you're ever in the area, you're welcome to try it. There aren't many about, it would seem - I'm assuming that they weren't very popular due to the artist's appeal being limited and the hybrid nature of the look of the guitar. This one had been kicking around on eBay for a while, but I got to know the seller pretty well through buying an L5 Signature and a Blues King from him, and I kept looking at this one and being half tempted but I wasn't fussed about the shape (although I like Florentines) and the artist didn't mean much to me. 

I could see see it being a permanent house guest if I tried to sell it again at some point, so didn't really bother with it - until I played it. I reckon with a set of flats on, it would be smoother than Nigel Havers dipped in baby oil, which has just put me off my cornflakes.
    Call me Dave.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've always loved the look of those guitars. Enjoy ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!