Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vocalists - The Weakest Part Of Most Bands

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
edited November 2018 in Music
I’m done with (most) male singers. I don’t think I’d ever be in a band with one again. (Not that I’ve worked with one for a decade now anyway.) Certainly on the pub/club circuit I would say that categorically what lets most bands down are the vocals. If a band is ‘rock’ then we get a shouting man. If a band is ‘indie’ then that’s used as an excuse for all manner of vocal excretion. Amateur/semi-pro bands just seem to fair better with female vocalists - even if it’s whispery ‘new folk’.
My listening habits have changed too - I get that not everyone can be a Mercury or Bowie or Gillan or Daltrey or Coverdale or Jeff Buckley, etc, but increasingly I find myself drawn to new music that’s female lead. There seems to be more tonality. More expression. Depth. Feeling. More soul and spirit.
Any thoughts? 
*Can we get through this thread without a Spice Girls joke?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to.manage the Spice Girls years ago, beforel I did my back in.

Nowadays I can only manage one or two of them ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    AlexC said:
    Can we get through this thread without a Spice Girls joke?
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ... saying that, most fun band I was ever in went to down the toilet because of the (male) singer's behaviour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • #metoo
  • I much prefer working with the musicality of strong female vocals when it comes to rock and heavy rock. However, it's depressing how many of them claim to sound like Evanescence/Nightwish/etc and can barely hold a note.

The singer in my last band was genuinely the only one I've ever encountered in person who really could do it. Unfortunately, she's moved to China (which, in my opinion, was a bit of an overreaction to the band tanking... :D ).
    <space for hire>
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Certainly the weakest part of performances where im on vocals...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I'm in a covers band with a woman drummer and vocalist. It certainly changes the dynamic in a band from the usual dick measuring that goes on in a typical all male unit. A strong female vocalist can do most male songs you hear anyway, and between me and her, we've got most bases covered.
  • The vocalist in my music is about as bad as the guitarist to be honest. It's me in both instances :(
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    AlexC said:
    I’m done with (most) male singers. I don’t think I’d ever be in a band with one again. (Not that I’ve worked with one for a decade now anyway.) Certainly on the pub/club circuit I would say that categorically what lets most bands down are the vocals. If a band is ‘rock’ then we get a shouting man. If a band is ‘indie’ then that’s used as an excuse for all manner of vocal excretion. Amateur/semi-pro bands just seem to fair better with female vocalists - even if it’s whispery ‘new folk’.
    My listening habits have changed too - I get that not everyone can be a Mercury or Bowie or Gillan or Daltrey or Coverdale or Jeff Buckley, etc, but increasingly I find myself drawn to new music that’s female lead. There seems to be more tonality. More expression. Depth. Feeling. More soul and spirit.
    Any thoughts? 
    *Can we get through this thread without a Spice Girls joke?
    it's mutual as most singers now avoid bands and go on x factor or the voice.

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited November 2018
    ... saying that, most fun band I was ever in went to down the toilet because of the (male) singer's behaviour.
    This.  On January 30th this year.
    Don't get me started - though the band is still (just) going with me still in it......he made us all so bloody angry we were determined it wouldn't fold.   One of the 2 worst-behaved and destructive people I've had the misfortune to be involved with in 40 years gigging.
  • My current band has a lady that needed the support of a friend to do harmony that decided to bring a third. 

Certainly the most fun I've had playing for a long time. It's certainly a unique selling point.
  • totally agree with @AlexC I'm in a band with an amazing female vocalist (https://www.facebook.com/beautifultraumaband/) and I can't imagine going back to a male singer now.  I always aspired to be in a female led band where I get to play ripping guitar solos and now I am I delighted.

Our female singer is always in tune, has an incredibly powerful voice, has great charisma with the audience and is just all round funny and very nice.  Highly recommend these types of bands.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Most male vocalists with decent voices are singing professionally.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14233
    tFB Trader
    Can think of many female vocalists I'd like to play with

Can't think of any male vocalists I'd like to play with
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    This is why I'm in an instrumental band. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Until the current band I’ve always worked with female singers. In my experience female singers only put themselves forward if they can sing a bit, whereas a lot of male “singers” can’t sing at all.

Anyone fronting a band has to have an attitude. They all have their tantrums. As with any team you have to work with personalities.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'd just like to point out that when it comes to behaviour, I've found that the defining characteristic is usually "singer" rather than "male" or "female" ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Both are good. The singer in my Kate Bush tribute band is (unsurprisingly) female :) and does a great job and in the other bands I'm in it's all male. To be honest I've never had a problem with either although I would be prepared to suffer more grieve from the singer, as I can appreciate it's basically the hardest job to do well and the most important 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    It’s a fair cop.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @Danny1969  I’m a huge Kate Bush fan, love to hear some of that. Do you have a link?