Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anderton's Vertex video

What's Hot
AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
edited November 2018 in FX
A man willing to lie about a university ending a program in order to cover up his previous lie about his education is pretty shameless. I assure you, the University of California at Berkeley still has a world class Electrical Engineering program.

Mason's lies keep coming, and now Captain Lee seems to have joined those who are totally ok with spreading those lies for a buck:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BTW: He's also lied about:

1) Work he did for Joe Bonamassa, causing the latter to write an open letter telling people to avoid him.
    2) Claiming the work of L.A Sound Design (RACKDOCTOR) as his own.
    3) Claiming Belden cable was of his own manufacture, and that is was directional.
    4) The Boost pedal's expression control being anything other than a standard insert point.
    5) The Steel String pedal being meticulously designed based on a Dumble amp, when it is nothing but a Jack Orman boost with almost insignificant changes.
    6) Dropping Michael Laundau's name, when Mr. Laundau specifically told him to stop doing so (once he discovered Mason's long record of lying and fraud).

And on and on and on.

Now Lee Anderton stands by those lies! Go figure, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ...and that's all on top of the admitted fraud he committed by buying BBE wahs and selling them, re-badged, for triple the price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    So are you a fan or not?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Heh. Not for sure. I had been a fan of Anderton's in the past. But either they didn't do even the most basic homework on this renowned multiple scam artist, or they don't care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Disappointing. I've got a lot of time for Andertons but this isn't cool at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    He also took a swipe at Analogman and Keeley calling them "Faux Boutique" 

Brave.
    2reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:

Brave.
    The man's got some cojones on him, thats for sure. 

I've literally lost track of the number of scams he's run and he's having a go at Analogman and Keeley? Jeezo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:

Brave.
    The man's got some cojones on him, thats for sure. 

I've literally lost track of the number of scams he's run and he's having a go at Analogman and Keeley? Jeezo. 
    I was just about to say this, absolutely no shame in the man.

Lee Anderton must know about this blokes history and still he puts this video out there and continues to stock his products. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Not the wisest move by Andertons IMO. But, you know, it's about making money and if Vertex gear sells then that's business
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I’m not really bothered by the video I just don’t think I care but would like to know Who’s dumb enough to actually buy anything by vertex now?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Who is he? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    lonestar said:
    Who is he? 
    Hey Scott- this'll give you a bit of background..

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/axis-wah-announcement-coming-clean.1477492/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    uksaint7 said:
    lonestar said:
    Who is he? 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/axis-wah-announcement-coming-clean.1477492/
    Awesome, ta
  • Note that "coming clean" only lasted for as long as it took him to write that post. And...he doesn't really come clean. He tries to cover up what he did even in "apologizing" for it.

And that is only one of his many, many documented bits of chicanery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I think it is an issue for Andertons because they lose credibility. As the new boy to all of this I had no idea about the background stuff you guys know about the guy being interviewed. I've used Andertons to buy  pedals simply because i knew then from you tube.  They are also a site I look at when browsing for guitars too.

I may not be so inclined in future if I suspect that the man running the company has dubious integrity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • I really think this could go viral and hit Andertons credibility. Bad move Mr Anderton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fairly sure have been stocking Vertex for a while as they featured the Steel String thingy on TPS months ago. Perhaps they shouldn’t have drawn attention to it though. Hmm, I’m off to read the YouTube comments...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    uksaint7 said:
    lonestar said:
    Who is he? 

Turns out I have read a little about him before. Although, that was a lot of info within a few pages. 

The comments on the video are a little hard to read...

https://youtu.be/Y6YfwtMEljA

I hope Lee can recover from this.
  • AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    edited November 2018
    I don't think Lee cares. If he cared about integrity, that video wouldn't be up right now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:
    Who is he? 
    -copied and pasted from elsewhere. 

"He started the business by claiming to have built a pedalboard that someone else built. People didn't get what they thought that they ordered.

He sold a volume pedal where he claimed to totally gut the pedal and rebuild his special circuit into the case, using custom components. What you got was a stock Boss volume pedal with the tuner out board removed and goop obscuring the fact. People didn't get what they thought that they ordered.

He sold guitar cables and claimed to have the cable and ends custom made to his special specifications, asking with many other false claims. They were made with off the rack belden cable and standard ends, doctored to obscure the fact. People didn't get what they thought that they ordered.

And there was the wah that he had designed, hand built vintage components for, used special pots only he could get, etc. which was a stock BBE wah with a changed make badge and goop to obscure the fact. People definitely didn't get what they thought that they ordered.

He got caught, claimed remorse and vowed to change. Of course that's the brief version. Each product had so many false claims made about what they were or how they were created, along with false claims about Mason's education, experience, and skills. He didn't design any of them. He didn't build them. He isn't an electronic engineer. He didn't finish his mom existent degree early because he's such a genius. And on, and on and on.

The very next product he put out was the boost. He claimed that it completely removed the volume pedal from the signal chain. This was the reason most gave for buying it. Turns out that was just another lie. It's no different thanusing a buffered volume pedal with a buffered boost after it. He also claimed it didn't change your sound when turned on. This was another slight of hand, as the buffer was always on, so it was simply changing your tone the same when on and off. He kept the charade up until he got caught and without admitting anything quietly changed his description of the pedal. Many who bought it still think they got a revolutionary boost that removes the volume pedal from their signal chain. They didn't get what they thought that they ordered.

With the Dynamic Distortion, he had been pretty open about developing a pedal based on the SD9, but fixing it's shortcomings. However, prior to the pedal coming out, his promo changed and started insinuating that his new pedal was a cross between a tube screamer and vintage fuzz. There post from people so excited to get this tube screamer with a fuzz added. Some of us tried to point out that that's how Landau described his SD9. Cue all the "It's not a modified SD9, it's a tube screamer with a vintage fuzz added" posts. Again when called out, slight changes to the marketing, no acknowledgement. Some people didn't get what they thought they ordered.

SSS supposedly painstakingly developed to match the sound of the Dumble amp. The amp turned out to be fake, the pedal a tweaked Orman boost. Are people getting what they think they ordered? Maybe, but if so, why delete all the posts questioning the amp and pointing out the origins of the pedal circuit? Why not come clean that this is an Orman booster that he tweaked to sound like this SSS clone amp? I think the market has proven that people would still buy that if it sounds good.

One of Mason's confessions when he got caught with the wah is that he's a chronic liar. He says he's struggled with it his whole life. That is at the heart of the whole issue, and the thing that continues to this day. In interviews, he's not honest about everything that has happened. He spins it so that it looks like he's confessing, but he's using the confession of the things that he can't deny, to hide the rest of what he did. He routinely deletes comments and post on his social media that point out the truth, or even question his current products. When he gets caught, he quietly changes the text on his website, but allows the perception that it created continue to sell products.

Mason seems to be a master at spin and marketing. He seems to be aware that if you repeat a lie enough, people start to think it's the truth. He seems to be aware that if you can put a perception out there, and silence anything to the contrary, even when that perception is shown to be wrong, the perception will live on. This is what he's done with with each new pedal. He's getting better at it and smoother at doing it in a way that less obvious, but he's still doing it. He's also used it to propagate the perception that the wah pedal was the only thing he did wrong and that it was made right to everyone that purchased one. No one got refunds for the other pedals that were sold under false pretenses, yet there's a perception that he made everything right."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom