Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flu jabs

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24299
I usually have it every year but - never again...  I had this year’s brew yesterday morning.  My arm started aching by the afternoon.  Now, I feel like someone’s taken to me with a baseball bat.  I’ve got a monster fever, my skin feels like I’m badly sunburned all over, moving is agony and any movement of my head and I spin out.  I’m simultaneously on fire and shivering and have barely slept a wink all night.

If this is what is supposed to protect me from flu then fuck that - I’ll take my chances next time.

If an 80yr old went through this it would finish them off.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited November 2018
    I normally don’t have it, but did this year. 

I must admit I did feel shit too. Achy joints, nauseous and a bit of a temperature. 

Take sone paracetamol or ibuprofen. You’ll feel ok soon enough. 

A day with mild symptoms is better than up to a couple of weeks, bed ridden, and feeling like you’re about to die. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I had mine (for the first time), and felt no ill effects.

In reality, you shouldn't feel a thing, as it's not a live vaccine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm having mine on Thursday, I don't normally have any problems with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm having one this afternoon...
  • I don't have them.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    real flu is horrible, could even be a serious risk when elderly
    avoiding that is definitely worth the risk of one day of discomfort

having said that, those sound like extreme reactions, have you called 111 to get advice on that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Emp_Fab said:
    I usually have it every year but - never again...  I had this year’s brew yesterday morning.  My arm started aching by the afternoon.  Now, I feel like someone’s taken to me with a baseball bat.  I’ve got a monster fever, my skin feels like I’m badly sunburned all over, moving is agony and any movement of my head and I spin out.  I’m simultaneously on fire and shivering and have barely slept a wink all night.

If this is what is supposed to protect me from flu then fuck that - I’ll take my chances next time.

Sounds worse than the flu. I dont get  the jab and probably wont this year. I still need to sort out a tb jab i missed at school 36yrs ago!   I like to take my time with these things..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    I had mine the other week with no ill effects, but a colleague at work had a flu and pneumonia jab (one in each arm) and the arm he had the pneumonia jab in blew up like Popeye's and he felt like shit for 2/3 days.
  • Never had a serious reaction to a flu injection, sometimes a mild one. This time OK, I guess @Emp_Fab is allergic or sensitive to different things.

Have also had (3 times) flu - after an injection. Apparently they can only inocculate you against the e3 most popular kinds, so if you get one of the others, you're unlucky.

However, I know what flu is like and if I can be protected against the 3 most likely kinds I'll go for it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24299
    I've been having them since 2012 and the first few years I had no side effects at all.  Last year's made me a bit sore all over for a day but this one beat the crap out of me.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Had it the other week, achy arm aside it was fine. It`s always better than 2 weeks in bed with real flu
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7848
    edited November 2018
    I have autoimmune issues. Still wouldn’t take a flu jab. Bewilders me why people do. It only protects against one straIn of flu.  Scientists guess which Asian flu may come to the UK, and that’s what you get. 
    Should that particular flu be the one the UK and hits hard, then the jab only gives you an extra half day recovery time.  You’ll still get the flu.  Plus, a lot of people get flu from the jab itself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/scientists-urge-ministers-tell-truth-on-over-hyped-flu-vaccine-8336184.html
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Emp_Fab said:

Flu would likely kill an 80 year old, I should think.. anyway..
    I don’t have flu jabs, and I’ve only had actual flu once. Not bad in 56 years.
    Whatever you’ve gone through after your flu jab is nothing compared to flu. Nothing.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I've never had a flu jab. Never had flu so I just haven't bothered. However, last week I had flu-like symptoms for two days - felt like utter sh*te, couldn't do a thing. Didn't want to read or watch TV and couldn't sleep. No way would I want that for two weeks! so I'm going to get flu jabs in future ...
  • I had my first flu jab this year and after maybe five minutes I honestly couldn't tell I'd had an injection. My wife, who had hers at the same time, said it felt like someone had punched her arm. I remember that's what it felt like when I had a course of B12 injections a few years ago.

I thought it was worth having the jab, as last Christmas I ended up with flu and I'd never felt so ill in my whole life. At one point I wasn't sure whether I was going to make it out the other side. Seems melodramatic, but they sent an ambulance out for me at one point. After two weeks of feeling incrementally worse each day, you do start to worry!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I've had one for the past 5 years or more. Never felt any ill effects (other than the time I had a combined flu/pneumonia shot) but this year I felt ill for a week afterwards - sore throat, cold symptoms etc., not as bad as Emp's symptoms though. Still, much preferable to full blown influenza, I'll have it again in future.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    I dont bother with it, only had flu once in my 20s when i was living a less than healthy lifestyle.

Sister in Law works at the pharmacy, always hassling us to come get our jabs. She had hers and had 10 days off work afterwards LOL. 

Its good for you though, come and get em!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    I've never had one.

I find it much simpler to insist that anyone who comes near me is boiled for ten minutes beforehand.
  • TheMarlin said:
    Plus, a lot of people get flu from the jab itself.
    Do they really?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    edited November 2018
    My Dad had it last week, and his left arm dropped off 2 days after. True story.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.