Diving into the world of pedals - help me choose the basics.

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2305
First some background - for years I've used a POD HD500x as my all-in-one box. Then I did a few gigs where there weren't any monitors and I realised I needed to be able to hear myself and got myself a Real Amp, and for a while have been using the POD via four cable method for all my effects.

However, now I've gotten used to the sound of a Real Amp, the POD's sounds are starting to wear on me and don't always behave the way I want, the interface is fiddly, and I'm also conscious that I am barely scratching the surface of what the unit's capable of, and I don't care much for that functionality anyway. As such, more and more I've been thinking it's time to switch to some basic pedals for better sound and ease of adjusting.

Then finally, last week I saw the PSA on here regarding the TC Spark being reduced and I took the plunge, and I'm now on the slippery slope to wanting to assemble a simple board.

I know very little about pedals other than the odd YouTube video and forum topic, so I could do with some advice/guidance on building a board on a budget. I'll list what I'm considering and what I'm not sure of and if the knowledgeable people here could chip in that would be much appreciated!

The twist is that I'm looking pretty much entirely used and reluctant to spend more than £50 a pedal, though obviously it may be worth it to stretch in places. I'm also not planning on actually buying the majority of this stuff until well after Christmas, but the idea is burning in my brain and I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for in case any deals present themselves before then.

Tuner: I'm pretty set on a Boss TU-3. They're reasonably priced, have a reputation for quality and I think it's wise to have a buffered pedal at the start of the chain? That said, the Polytune does look appealing and the mini version saves space.

Overdrive: I love Tube Screamers, so I'm pretty set on a Tube Screamer mini. Saves space, sounds basically as good as the full size as far as I can tell on YouTube. I've seen mention of the Joyo Vintage Overdrive but I'm wary of what the quality would be like.

Reverb: For the price I'm probably best with the TC Hall of Fame Mini, as it can get good sounds via Toneprint and it's small. That said, I do like the idea of being able to tweak and play without having to get a computer involved, so I think I ought to keep an eye out for either the full size HoF2, or the Digitech Polara also looks really appealing. Probably not under £50 but might be worth stretching. I don't use reverb a whole lot - I tend to have one setting for drive and a lusher one for cleans.

Delay: As above, thinking TC Flashback mini for price and size reasons, but also keeping an eye out for the full size or an MXR Carbon Copy popping up cheap. I only really use delay for clean sections or during solos for a lift.

Power: No idea! All I know is I'd quite like to have something I can mount under whatever board I get (probably Harley Benton) and that has isolated output for the above pedals, plus the Spark and my wah.

Patch cables: Again no idea - I'm on a budget and I'm conscious this is where hidden costs lie because they're easily forgotten, but at the same time I've seen plenty of warning about cheaping out.

So, sorry for the wall of text - if people could chime in with their thoughts on the pedals I'm considering and point out anything I'm missing, that would be great! Thanks  =)

Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    Not a tube screamer but a quality o/d well under your £50.00 you wouldn't go wrong with a tc mojomojo and you spark booster would work well into it .
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    watching this with interest.  Not because I can help in any way (sorry) but because I picked up a pedal a little while ago to see what all the fuss was about and now I have 5 and only just managed to not order a 6th this morning.  I'm a little alarmed at how addictive buying pedals seems to be so want to see what people suggest.

I have picked up most of mine second hand which helps keep costs down, plus I've not got any really expensive ones anyway.  Currently have Donner DT-1 Tuner which seems fine, Tone City Sweet Cream and JOYO Ultimate Drive for overdrive effects, Tone City Tape Machine for Delay and a TC Ditto looper.  

The tuner seems fine and does it's job, the looper is basic but all that I need for messing about on, the JOYO I really like now I'm starting to figure out how to use it.  The two Tone City pedals seem ok if not totally earth shattering.  I'm sure my inability to dial all this stuff in is part of the problem!
  • I think that those you suggested yourself will be totally fine. Run the Spark after the TS so you can use the EQ effectively. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Joyo quality is fine if you go that route.  Not had a tubescreamer to compare it to but all video comparisons sound the same to me and the pedal sounds great.

Re cables I have bought one really good quality cable and the difference is instantly noticeable compared to the fender custom shop cable I was using before.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2305

Re cables I have bought one really good quality cable and the difference is instantly noticeable compared to the fender custom shop cable I was using before.
    I have a Fender custom shop cable and that is my nice cable...
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    edited November 2018
    For a simple, low-cost delay with a surprising number of features, the Ibanez Echo Shifter is brilliant. A used one would be even cheaper.

-edit: there's a used one on Amazon warehouse, with their current 20% off comes to £61!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    timmypix said:

Ditto! 
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:
    First some background - for years I've used a POD HD500x as my all-in-one box. Then I did a few gigs where there weren't any monitors and I realised I needed to be able to hear myself and got myself a Real Amp, and for a while have been using the POD via four cable method for all my effects.

However, now I've gotten used to the sound of a Real Amp, the POD's sounds are starting to wear on me and don't always behave the way I want, the interface is fiddly, and I'm also conscious that I am barely scratching the surface of what the unit's capable of, and I don't care much for that functionality anyway. As such, more and more I've been thinking it's time to switch to some basic pedals for better sound and ease of adjusting.

Then finally, last week I saw the PSA on here regarding the TC Spark being reduced and I took the plunge, and I'm now on the slippery slope to wanting to assemble a simple board.

I know very little about pedals other than the odd YouTube video and forum topic, so I could do with some advice/guidance on building a board on a budget. I'll list what I'm considering and what I'm not sure of and if the knowledgeable people here could chip in that would be much appreciated!

The twist is that I'm looking pretty much entirely used and reluctant to spend more than £50 a pedal, though obviously it may be worth it to stretch in places. I'm also not planning on actually buying the majority of this stuff until well after Christmas, but the idea is burning in my brain and I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for in case any deals present themselves before then.

Tuner: I'm pretty set on a Boss TU-3. They're reasonably priced, have a reputation for quality and I think it's wise to have a buffered pedal at the start of the chain? That said, the Polytune does look appealing and the mini version saves space.

Overdrive: I love Tube Screamers, so I'm pretty set on a Tube Screamer mini. Saves space, sounds basically as good as the full size as far as I can tell on YouTube. I've seen mention of the Joyo Vintage Overdrive but I'm wary of what the quality would be like.

Reverb: For the price I'm probably best with the TC Hall of Fame Mini, as it can get good sounds via Toneprint and it's small. That said, I do like the idea of being able to tweak and play without having to get a computer involved, so I think I ought to keep an eye out for either the full size HoF2, or the Digitech Polara also looks really appealing. Probably not under £50 but might be worth stretching. I don't use reverb a whole lot - I tend to have one setting for drive and a lusher one for cleans.

Delay: As above, thinking TC Flashback mini for price and size reasons, but also keeping an eye out for the full size or an MXR Carbon Copy popping up cheap. I only really use delay for clean sections or during solos for a lift.

Power: No idea! All I know is I'd quite like to have something I can mount under whatever board I get (probably Harley Benton) and that has isolated output for the above pedals, plus the Spark and my wah.

Patch cables: Again no idea - I'm on a budget and I'm conscious this is where hidden costs lie because they're easily forgotten, but at the same time I've seen plenty of warning about cheaping out.

So, sorry for the wall of text - if people could chime in with their thoughts on the pedals I'm considering and point out anything I'm missing, that would be great! Thanks  =)

That all makes sense to me. You might consider the Flashback II now it’s only £90, still use it quite simply but it has potential for a bit of experimentation further down the line. The Carbon Copy is very popular but lots of people don’t like it ( I’m in two minds and I’m on my second one) so you’d need to be sure that’s the sound you like. If you had the tc and in 6 months time found you only used a dark analogue tone for delay get a CC then maybe.

There is no modulation on your list - no love for chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, rotary and whatever I’ve forgotten? Some good budget options out there. 

The joy/ frustration in all this is that you don’t have to do it all at once. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I vote against any reduced size small pedals like the Flashback and HoF mini cos having knobs for every parameter is half the fun of pedals.  This goes double if you are still learning how to dial your sounds in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    You already seem to be thinking along the right lines.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    timmypix said:
    The twist is that I'm looking pretty much entirely used and reluctant to spend more than £50 a pedal, though obviously it may be worth it to stretch in places. I'm also not planning on actually buying the majority of this stuff until well after Christmas,

£50? Oh they are so going to believe it's me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolyd said:
    I vote against any reduced size small pedals like the Flashback and HoF mini cos having knobs for every parameter is half the fun of pedals.  This goes double if you are still learning how to dial your sounds in.
    I think that’s a fair point. A lot of people also find that in practice they have to space mini pedals ( especially as they usually have side mounted sockets) in order to make them useable such that they take up as much as standard pedals anyway. 
    That all makes sense to me. You might consider the Flashback II now it’s only £90, still use it quite simply but it has potential for a bit of experimentation further down the line. The Carbon Copy is very popular but lots of people don’t like it ( I’m in two minds and I’m on my second one) so you’d need to be sure that’s the sound you like. If you had the tc and in 6 months time found you only used a dark analogue tone for delay get a CC then maybe.

There is no modulation on your list - no love for chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, rotary and whatever I’ve forgotten? Some good budget options out there. 

The joy/ frustration in all this is that you don’t have to do it all at once. 
    If I may ask, what's the deal with the Carbon Copy? I've noticed I prefer the analogue delay on the POD but I've never done a whole lot of exploring.

I've never really dived into modulation, if I'm honest, so it might happen eventually but it's far from an essential tool for the music I'm playing. I don't think I've ever really learned how to dial it in properly so I make silly noises for half an hour then move on.

mixolyd said:
    I think that’s a fair point. A lot of people also find that in practice they have to space mini pedals ( especially as they usually have side mounted sockets) in order to make them useable such that they take up as much as standard pedals anyway. 
    This is an excellent point I hadn't considered. To be honest, I was only thinking small for price, and because I'm only getting a few I figured I may as well keep it light. But the Zakk Wylde wah does away with that notion quite quickly too!
    Thing is, with my budget, the minis are rather hard to avoid. Otherwise it's a waiting game for someone to be selling a full size pedal very cheaply and getting to it before anyone else.
    Tim
  • The Carbon Copy is very dark, it’s the 90% cocoa chocolate of analogue delays. That’s it’s strength but some people find the delays are just too mushy. 
    I liked it in a band context because it would almost disappear but you could hear it on a featured guitar part. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Fuengi said:
    timmypix said:

Ditto! 
    I bought custom shop cables to and from my pedal board and my patch cables.  I had @robinbowes make me a longer cable for literally a couple of quid more than the custom shop and when I plug it straight to the amp you can hear the quality difference.  Well worth considering your cables.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    I bought a Caline power supply recently on ebay for less than £20.
    Works fine with most pedals and has extra outputs too.

But there are loads of choices......
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    For Power I would get a True Tone 1 spot pack at £35 will power 8 pedals. For interconnects between pedals www.pedalpatch.co.uk do a good pack £30 ish I think. Though not considered very sexy these days the Marshall pedals are good value just not great on a dark stage.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I would stay away from cheap pedals (£30) as the componets can be very noisey. I brought a cheap joyo phaser and it hisses when i turn it , I dont get the same with Boss/TC etc. Plenty of secondhand pedals on sale at the moment.
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Done some more digging and I'm thinking that this is probably looking like the best way to spend less than £100 on a power supply - anyone got one?
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_2_pro.htm
    Tim