Complete noob. Some pointers on how to start recording.

What's Hot
Well, not a complete noob...I used to own a Boss multitrack recorder that had a built-in CD burner, and have recorded things, but I had no idea what I was doing re. mastering, mix down etc.

I’d really like to get back into recording myself, but don’t know where to start.

I see Boss do a multitrack still (BR 800) that seems like it would do me okay?

However, in the past, I used to plug directly into the recorder and use the onboard effects, but now as my setup is better, I want to record the sound of my Line 6 Helix and my amp....so I’m guessing I need to mic that up?

And that’s about everything I know.

What are my options? I don’t want to make a record, just stuff for my own enjoyment. Also, I don’t want to get bogged down with sitting at a machine for ages....I’d like something fairly simple and/or intuitive to a newbie.
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    The Boss BR is pretty limited by current standards,...I’ve done some good recordings on them but a PC and small interface offer so much more.

Do you have PC / Mac / Laptop ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Do you have PC / Mac / Laptop ?
    I have a very good laptop.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
    Ok...so assume you are able to use that for recording ?...you can check software or free demos from Logic, Presonus, Reaper, Ableton, all have good packages , you will need an interface for all of these.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Can you explain like I’m a child, what an interface does?

Do I have to plug my guitar into one, and use it to record into a laptop with onboard effects, or do I use one to connect a mic to, to record my guitar that way...and that goes to the laptop?

....like a child..
  • An interface plugs into your PC and you plug your audio sources (microphones, guitars, whatever) into that. It converts the incoming audio into something the PC can use,  but you'll also need some software to do the recording. 

There are many different ways to do this depending on exactly what you want to record. 
    If you want to record the sound your amplifier makes then put a microphone in front of it  plug the mic into the interface (e.g. Scarlet 2i2) and record it with the software (e.g.s mentioned by spark240).
    But...
    Some amps have direct outs (maybe with cab simulation) that you could take direct into the interface.
    Or maybe you could add cab simulation in the software.
    Or you could, as you say, send your dry guitar signal and do everything in software.
    And can't the Helix itself act as an interface? 

All depends what you're aiming for. As usual  there are many ways to skin this particular cat.
    Checkout USB interfaces on Thomann UK...you can use the Helix but personal choice for me would be a separate unit.

Your gonna need some help ...keep us posted.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    It's worth making sure the interface will record at 24 bit for better dynamic range. (imo)

Usually the audio interface will come with cut down versions of software which is useful but it's worth bearing in mind that there are a couple differing approaches to recording. The first is the "tape" way where you record tracks in a similar way to the Boss unit but with infinitely better editing and better sounding effects - examples of these are Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools and Reaper (and there's plenty more to choose from). I find  these good for recording song type material. On the other hand we have "loop" based systems such as Ableton and Bitwig which I find good for getting an idea going quickly and especially suited to dancy kind of stuff.

The expensive DAWs tend to come with an abundance of content in the form of loops, soft synths and samplers etc which can be an aid to composition although there is plenty of free stuff on the net if you want it.

If the "very good laptop" is a Mac and I was just starting out I would probably get Logic. As it is I use Cubase and Ableton depending on what sort of outcome I want to achieve. I know Reaper is a forum favourite . There is plenty of info on the different DAWs on Youtube, and most have demos so you can try them out. They all have a pretty steep learning curve, I think, but once you get your head round it I'm sure you will be amazed what you can do.

All depends what you're aiming for. As usual  there are many ways to skin this particular cat.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited November 2018
    Get a cheapish audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett, Audient id4, UA Arrow) and a copy of Reaper.

Start watching 'Beginners guide to Reaper' videos.

Personally I avoid using loop libraries but they can be an easy way to get up and running.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Get a cheapish audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett, Audient id4, UA Arrow) and a copy of Reaper.
    My usual setup is Reaper and a Zoom R16, but I have also used a Scarlett and even the USB lead from Rocksmith.

I recently got one of these, because that price for two inputs and MIDI seems like a steal...

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Mackie-Onyx-Producer-22-USB-Audio-Interface/25AN

The Tracktion software it "comes with" is actually available free (after registration) and despite being laid out quite differently from most other DAW software I've used seemed intuitive, although, ironically, I had trouble getting it working with the Onyx. Worked fine with my Zoom, though.
    Unfortunately my laptop went schizo shortly after installing it (unrelated incident, I'm sure) and I haven't got back to messing with the Onyx/Tracktion since rebuilding it.

Audacity is often brought up as a free and simple multi-track recorder, but it can't apply effects non-destructively and becomes limiting quite quickly.  You may as well dive in and start learning a proper DAW.  I'm sure there's plenty of help on hand around here, should you need it.

• Hope this helps...

https://youtu.be/awzXNl30lKg
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    When I had a Helix it seemed a perfectly good interface for basic recording. Depends what the end goal is but I was happy with the quality of that without having to buy any extra kit. 
  • This place is mad sometimes.

OP has a very respectable interface already - the helix. Why start recommending other things to someone who is clearly very new to this? No point spending money, use the helix! 
    This place is mad sometimes.

OP has a very respectable interface already - the helix. Why start recommending other things to someone who is clearly very new to this? No point spending money, use the helix! 
    He did ask “ what are my options” ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited December 2018
    Reaper's licence terms allow you to use it for free for 60 days so using that and your Helix would allow you to have a go at recording onto your lap top without buying anything.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    siremoon said:
    Reaper's licence terms allow you to use it for free for 60 days so using that and your Helix would allow you to have a go at recording onto your lap top without buying anything.
    I did buy the Reaper Licence though if you can put up with a nag screen on start up then you do not need to buy. It functions completely the same without the licence. I felt after having it for so long i should pay for it. 
  • Thank you for the help, guys. I think it makes sense to go with what I’ve got for now, so I’ll utilise the Helix and try the Reaper software.

I can always take it from there if I need more if I get in to it.