OK, guitar no. 5 underway - headless thing. Edit: FINISHED!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
edited June 2019 in Making & Modding
I originally started a headless guitar way back for the Q1 challenge. It became impossible in the timeframe due to a freezing cold and full of rainwater workshop/garage, and putting in lots of extra time at work. I then had to do some major rethinking. I was planning to drop Variax gubbins in, but due to the design I would have had to extend cables and that would be a major PITA. Having thunk about it I am now going for Piezo/midi pickup, no magnetic.

Obligatory Photoshop mock-up:

What no tuners? The piezo saddles I have require the strings to go down, so I am threading them through to the back, having them pass over a bar and onto an ABM headless bridge recessed into the back of the body. I'm knocking up a cheap MDF dummy body to see if my theory on this will actually work. Controls will be piezo volume, midi volume and on/off microswitches

My current thinking is that he top will be some sort of gold flake, black back and sides. The 'organic' line on the front will light up. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's a tarty guitar for my Youtube videos - not one for the local pub blues band! 

Full scale plans drawn up, woodwork underway. 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited November 2018
    Love it. That is really striking. I've been following the struggles experienced by @Roland ; with his headless build and it's really interesting to see the solutions needed for a headless build compared to just throwing a bunch of parts together for another Strat/Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Best I get some Popcorn, this look interesting!......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Sounds interesting ! If you’re passing the strings through the body will you have to use standard guitar strings without double ball ends or will the aperture be big enough to allow the ball end through ? 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Love it. That is really striking. I've been following the struggles experienced by @Roland ; with his headless build and it's really interesting to see the solutions needed for a headless build compared to just throwing a bunch of parts together for another Strat/Tele.
    To be fair both of them are really making their lives difficult with their choices. There are fixed headless bridges out there that require no extra effort.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    DrBob said:
    Sounds interesting ! If you’re passing the strings through the body will you have to use standard guitar strings without double ball ends or will the aperture be big enough to allow the ball end through ? 
    I'm using standard strings. 

carlos said:
    To be fair both of them are really making their lives difficult with their choices. There are fixed headless bridges out there that require no extra effort.
    Yes there are, however I like the idea of a minimalist top. Besides, who want an easy life? Where's the fun in that!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    @carlos There are a couple of headless tuner system. They are not cheap. Carvin offer both the Hipshot and the J-Custom. The J-Custom is an improvement on the Overlord, but not enough of an improvement to justify the price. The Hipshot would more than double the cost of the challenge build guitar, and I don’t think it fits the spirit of the challenge.

When I do a second build, with better wood and any design improvements that I identify from this one, then 
    I might use a Hipshot, or possibly the ABM single string bridges.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    @Roland ;
    I'm aware of your constraints, but I think it's unfair to characterise a headless build as harder than a regular one as @vasselmeyer was saying. My Steinberger with the fixed JCustom is my simplest guitar to use, change strings, intonate, etc. I also changed the bridge and set it up myself and believe me I'm not a luthier of any sort.
  • axisus said:
    I originally started a headless guitar way back for the Q1 challenge. It became impossible in the timeframe due to a freezing cold and full of rainwater workshop/garage, and putting in lots of extra time at work. I then had to do some major rethinking. I was planning to drop Variax gubbins in, but due to the design I would have had to extend cables and that would be a major PITA. Having thunk about it I am now going for Piezo/midi pickup, no magnetic.

Obligatory Photoshop mock-up:

What no tuners? The piezo saddles I have require the strings to go down, so I am threading them through to the back, having them pass over a bar and onto an ABM headless bridge recessed into the back of the body. I'm knocking up a cheap MDF dummy body to see if my theory on this will actually work. Controls will be piezo volume, midi volume and on/off microswitches

My current thinking is that he top will be some sort of gold flake, black back and sides. The 'organic' line on the front will light up. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's a tarty guitar for my Youtube videos - not one for the local pub blues band! 

Full scale plans drawn up, woodwork underway. 

Love it!  Looking forward to seeing how it pans out :)
    edited May 2019
    Basic body template designed and made with MDF

Rough body shape done with Forstner bit and band saw.

Half way through routing body shape

Basic body shape sorted

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Neck cut to shape

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A couple of design changes. The original fret markers looked interesting, but seemed like more hassle than I could be bothered with, so I'm just gone for trad dots on rosewood.

now 1 knob & switch rather than 2 of each.

Cutting fret slots

Drilling dot markers

Radius and end sorted

Dots and frets in

side dots done and neck holes marked

sorting neck alignment

mock up which also highlights my lack of space!

neck holed drilled, bridge area routed

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Liking this! Is that neck all Rosewood?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Liking this! Is that neck all Rosewood?
    Yes, Rosewood neck, rosewood fretboard. I love a dark neck but it is a right bugger to shape!
    Basic neck shaping done

Routing control area

Routing colour strip area

edited July 2019
    Wow! Im liking this. I recently got a Solid rosewood Strat neck and the feel in the hand is fantastic, sooo silky smooth.....

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Nice work. Is the long route on the top for wiring? If so what will cover it?
    Finished!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom