What to check on a used P-Bass

What's Hot
richhrichh Frets: 450
I'm trading a guitar for a bass.  I'm not much of a bass player, but will see how I get on with it.  Hopefully I'll bond with it, if not I can trade or sell.  As I don't know much about basses, can anybody (paging @Bridgehouse ) advise on anything specific to check?  It is a USA Precision, and my feeling is that they are pretty solid beasts.  So I'd play all over the neck thru a headphone amp, check the electrics are working, and so on - anything else to look for?

Thanks to anybody who can advise - I'm fairly confident in this, having seen pics and so on, but a bit out of my area of knowledge here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Same principals apply as guitar when checking it over - does everything work, check for damage, neck not a banana, frets in good order, nut not mangled, saddles good, neck attachment ok, check electrics etc. 

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    Thanks, that all makes sense!  I'm more familiar with Fender type guitars than (for example) Gibson, so I'm reasonably confident that I'd spot any major problems, as a P-Bass is fairly similar construction, but I appreciate your advice.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited November 2018
    frets in good order
    I say. Steady on, old bean!

richh said:
    It is a USA Precision
    This description covers a multitude of possibilities. Do you know the exact model and year? Specifications have altered over the years. 

It is possible that the bass on offer has been modified. On a Precision, the usual suspects are the bridge, the pickup/controls electronics, the pickguard and, if you are lucky, the tuner for the lowest string.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I'm told it is a 2016 USA Fender Precision.  From the photos, I can see the metal plate holding the neck on is a 4 screw one and says 'Corona California'.  The pic of the headstock says 'Fender' , 'Made in USA' and 'Precision Bass'

Other than that, I was quoted a serial number, but I can't actually use that successfully, though I tried to get info from the Fender website.  Pics all look to be in very good condition, certainly from what I can see.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    That should be the current American Professional series. I see nothing objectionable in the published specs - unless you are a nitro-cellulose snob. The nut width should prove less of a handful than the 44mm of a vintage piece. I cannot comment on the whether the revised pickup is an improvement over the design offered on the discontinued American Standard model. 

If the bass reaches you with roundwound strings, give them a try for a week or so. Then, bow to the inevitable and invest in a pack of flatwounds.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for that - I do like flats!  Strings that is, not tyres...
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Fret every fret on every string and make sure you don't get any choking/fretting out, especially on the higher frets. Make sure the action is not sky high with the saddles dropped to the floor. Make sure there is no twist in the neck. Ideally make sure the truss rod is working, but this may require detaching the neck so may not be possible.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I'd be checking under the pickguard for weed.
    Hi @octatonic thanks for tip - if there is a decent quantity under the pickguard, I suppose I should really offer him a bit extra for it then?  BTW, I hope you're enjoying it out in Singapore - it is currently pissing it down in old Oxfordshire!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    richh said:
    Hi @octatonic thanks for tip - if there is a decent quantity under the pickguard, I suppose I should really offer him a bit extra for it then?  BTW, I hope you're enjoying it out in Singapore - it is currently pissing it down in old Oxfordshire!
    Finders keepers, I'd say.

Sinkieland is fun.
    No rain here- it is a constant 30 degrees every day.
    Sounds great right- but 80+% RH is a bit of a ballache.
    I've enjoyed it thus far but imagine a few more years and I'll be happy to get back to the UK.
  • Check that the neck is straight and the frets are good. Other than that, the electrics are so basic that it doesn't matter if there's issues there. I bought a "non-working" no output Fender P on ebay cheap, chucked a custom wiring loom in which cost £25 and it was absolutely fine thereafter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom