Cheap But Giggable Bass Combo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Get on the North East Bass Bin Facebook group bud. Ask on there and you'll be sorted in minutes. If you want me to add you, drop me a fb message 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Somebody once told me: Add up the power outputs of all the other backline (guitars, keys etc), double it, and that's your bass requirement.

I've also heard stories about the (un)reliability of Ashdown amplifiers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Somebody once told me: Add up the power outputs of all the other backline (guitars, keys etc), double it, and that's your bass requirement.

Ashdown had a bad patch. Nowadays they are rock solid - and their support team is very very good. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262

Someone near me is selling an old Trace Elliott combo on ebay. So from what you guys have said about relative power outputs, would something like this punch above its weight compared to something like the modern Class D 100-200w combos you see?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173659176836
    It depends on what that speaker is - it's not original, and I don't recognise it, but from the general appearance it may be some sort of disco or car-audio bass driver, in which case it will be crap. Or it could be something very esoteric and good that I'm just not familiar with. The problem is that if the speaker needs replacing that will cost about the same as the amp is worth, unless you can find something second hand.

Somebody once told me: Add up the power outputs of all the other backline (guitars, keys etc), double it, and that's your bass requirement.
    That's about right, although keyboard amps will skew that as a lot of keyboard players use extremely powerful amps just to get the headroom for a perfectly clean sound. Double the combined power of the guitar amps should be enough.

Ashdown had a bad patch. Nowadays they are rock solid - and their support team is very very good. 
    They had a bit more than a bad patch... but they do appear to have sorted it out now. Even the older ones are usually fairly easy to repair, unlike some other unreliable amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wow, some great knowledge bombs being dropped here! Most of the stuff regarding ohms and speaker efficiency etc is way over my head at this point, but interesting to read anyway!

I probably should have mentioned in the original post that I'm probably not wanting to spend more than £150. I would love to be able to get into the Mark Bass or Ampeg end of the market, but that ain't happening sadly!

Someone near me is selling an old Trace Elliott combo on ebay. So from what you guys have said about relative power outputs, would something like this punch above its weight compared to something like the modern Class D 100-200w combos you see?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173659176836
    That will be very loud and effective. It will weight about 30-35kg and will cope with small medium gigs no problem at all.

Trace amps do have a distinctive sound to them - some don’t like it but most do
    Hmmm, is there a way to describe the "Trace Elliott" sound? Is it a clean or a dirty kind of tone?
  • ICBM said:

It depends on what that speaker is - it's not original, and I don't recognise it, but from the general appearance it may be some sort of disco or car-audio bass driver, in which case it will be crap. Or it could be something very esoteric and good that I'm just not familiar with. The problem is that if the speaker needs replacing that will cost about the same as the amp is worth, unless you can find something second hand.

Wow, that's a great spot! I'd never have known! 

This one look more likely to be stock?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliott-Gp7-Sm-Combo-Amp/223140797994?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=4a46a7d1049c4d93a4b5c32f13931d5c&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=163346879270&itm=223140797994&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:31a6fbe8-f4cd-11e8-b1cb-74dbd1805ed3|parentrq:65dd8b9e1670aa46c347ea52fffb9462|iid:1
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    When you say "some attention"....?
    The tolex is coming unstuck where it overlaps on the underside of the cabinet.

GSPBASSES said:

Is it a 7200 series or a 7400 series? 
    That is a 7200 Series head atop a 7410 cabinet. Some wise person has equipped the 7410 with casters. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    When you say "some attention"....?
    The tolex is coming unstuck where it overlaps on the underside of the cabinet.

GSPBASSES said:

Is it a 7200 series or a 7400 series? 
    That is a 7200 Series head atop a 7410 cabinet. Some wise person has equipped the 7410 with casters. 
    I have tolex glue and experience of retolexing. Do you want to shift it on?
    edited November 2018
    Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:

Wow, that's a great spot!
    Hardly... the huge red dust cap and edge surround kind of gave it away .

It would actually be useful to find out what it is - it *might* be something good. The edge surround at least looks like it could be a musical instrument speaker, rather than a foam-edged car-audio one - although the cone appears to be smooth and slightly shiny, which is much less of a good sign.

Yes, that's the original speaker - you can see the white Trace Elliot lettering in a circle on the dust cap.

Hmmm, is there a way to describe the "Trace Elliott" sound? Is it a clean or a dirty kind of tone?
    Clean, with a distinctive scooped midrange when the preset 'shape' button is used - most people do, it adds 'something' as well as cutting mids.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Wow, that's a great spot!
    Hardly... the huge red dust cap and edge surround kind of gave it away .

It would actually be useful to find out what it is - it *might* be something good. The edge surround at least looks like it could be a musical instrument speaker, rather than a foam-edged car-audio one - although the cone appears to be smooth and slightly shiny, which is much less of a good sign.

Yes, that's the original speaker - you can see the white Trace Elliot lettering in a circle on the dust cap.

Clean, with a distinctive scooped midrange when the preset 'shape' button is used - most people do, it adds 'something' as well as cutting mids.
    So I messaged the seller regarding the speaker. He's replied saying it's a "Challenger Pro 15in" speaker. Means nowt to me. Does that mean anything to someone who knows a thing or two about speakers? 

So I messaged the seller regarding the speaker. He's replied saying it's a "Challenger Pro 15in" speaker. Means nowt to me. Does that mean anything to someone who knows a thing or two about speakers? 
    Sounds like disco/car-audio crap. It will probably have an extremely optimistic power rating and not be really up to handling the power of the amp, even if it claims to be something like 500W.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Sounds like disco/car-audio crap. It will probably have an extremely optimistic power rating and not be really up to handling the power of the amp, even if it claims to be something like 500W.
    Hmmm, fair enough. I'll dodge that bullet then I think! =) 

Next question - anyone any experience with the Ashdown Electric Blue 180 15" combo? Someone near me is flogging one for pretty cheap, and it's quite a handsome looking thing IMO. Sound nice? Enough oomph for small-medium gigs?

Next question - anyone any experience with the Ashdown Electric Blue 180 15" combo? Someone near me is flogging one for pretty cheap, and it's quite a handsome looking thing IMO. Sound nice? Enough oomph for small-medium gigs?
    They're actually pretty good - more reliable than the Mag and Evo series in my experience. The weak point is once again the speaker, but as long as you don't thrash it too hard they're usually fine. Definitely giggable.

• ICBM said:

They're actually pretty good - more reliable than the Mag and Evo series in my experience. The weak point is once again the speaker, but as long as you don't thrash it too hard they're usually fine. Definitely giggable.
    Interesting! The Trace Elliot seems like more amp for the money from what I can see, but looks ugly as sin and generally bigger and more cumbersome. More chance of squeezing the Ashdown into my tiny spare room, and generally a prettier thing to look at. Also has built in compression, which might help smooth out my cack-handed, newbie right hand finger technique!
  • I use my Sound City B50+ with Hartke Transporter 410. Never get the volume over half way before I'm expect d to turn down. Both guitarists sttaight into PA (650 each side I think).
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I have an old Trace 150w GP7 combo that I still frequently gig with and can confirm they're cracking things. My first serious rig was a GP12 SMX 4x10 combo with a 1x15 can underneath and was a monster, and the little ones aren't far off.

I often use my Stingray, straight in to the amp, with the graphic EQ bypassed and it's a massive sound. It's a bit of a bugger to lift compared to the modern lightweight stuff but for the absurdly low price they sell for now you can't go wrong. 
  • ICBM said:

Challenger Pro is/was the own-brand Maplin PA/Disco speaker drivers. Someone has probably blown the original and put a dirt cheap nasty thing in it in order to sell.
    MattBanshee said:

Challenger Pro is/was the own-brand Maplin PA/Disco speaker drivers.
    Aha. That figures...

The giveaway is actually the word 'Pro' - although there are a few exceptions, it's usually short for "professionals wouldn't touch this with a bargepole" :).