Anyone make something akin to Jazz body with P-bass neck ?

SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
I’m buying my first bass - I’m drawn to the Jazz tone and flexibility, but like chunky necks and a P-bass type of neck is more my thing

..so spending American Standard money or less, who makes something that I should take a closer look at?

Cheers

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fender Mark Hopper sig. (now discontinued, I think)

Reverse Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup, though, rather than Jazz pickups. No tone control either.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    The Fender Reggie Hamilton signature model. (CAUTION: This has PJ pickups.)

If you seek a P neck, on a J body, with J pickups, you may have to self-build.

Alternatively, acquire P and J Basses. Swap their necks. Somebody out there is bound to love a P with the narrower neck.
    Be seeing you.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2019
    Bass leftovers.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Fender have various PJ hybrids.  Some have Jazz necks, but some have Precision necks.  The Duff McKagan has a P neck and is just over £1k.

A Maruszczyk Elwood might be worth a look.  They seem to use 40mm as a standard nut width, which is a bit bigger than a normal Jazz.

Alternatively, do what @Funkfingers suggested and buy one of each and swap the necks.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Thanks all!

Update on this - I spent a couple of hours playing various basses at the weekend and I think my main conclusion is that taking a guitarist's mindset into the analysis is a bad starting point. 

Because of the long scale length, all the bases are 'chunky' by guitar standards once you get up to about the 7th fret and the advantages of having a handful of neck at the 1st are less important when you're not playing chords (Lemmy - sit yer ass down, boy!)

I still prefer the feel of the wider neck on the P Bass, but I don't think it's the deal breaker for me that it is on an SG and having the 2 pups is more important.

..caveat that this is still a guitarist of 30yrs analysing 2hrs of bass playing, so I appreciate I still no jack!

Anyhow, after thinking of spending 'guitar money' on a bass, I've actually pulled the trigger on £300 worth of Vintage Brand Jazz bass - Ash body, maple 34" neck, Wilkinson hardware and Jazz pups

If that works out, then I'll get more ambitious!

So now on to amps - opinions very welcome!

I'm only going to be playing at home, so options to date are

Use a blackface super into a closed back guitar cab with a bass speaker installed
    A bass preamp into the line in on a Power station into the same cab
    A 300w (surely overkill) tranny bass amp into said cab
    A 20w valve Ampeg into said cab via the Power Station

Whadd'ya reckon?
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    SunDevil said:
    Vintage Brand Jazz bass - Ash body, maple 34" neck, Wilkinson hardware and Jazz pups.
    I remember that model. I did not realise that they still offered it. A chunkier bridge and some attention to the fingerboard edges would not go amiss. 
    Be seeing you.