Possibly a silly IPad question...

What's Hot
I've been using my iPad with a midi keyboard for a while, but the iPad is old and needs upgrading. 

I'd planned to buy a new one but notice that there's no headphone socket - which I'd previously used as an output to a set of stereo monitors.  

I have the camera kit but there's no output on there, and obviously connecting it uses the lightning connector which nullifies the lightning to 3.5mm adapter.  Bluetooth is hopeless due to latency.

So, is there a workaround that I don't know about? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    2018 IPad Pro uses USB C which allows you to use an USB hub.
    Previous iPads still have headphone out.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2018
    You just need an interface. I use a Line 6 Sonic Port but there are plenty of other options. It has a guitar input, AUX input (for backing tracks) and left and right output for speakers and a 3.5 mm headphone jack. It also comes with software for you iPad with amps, effects and cabs from Line 6.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • There is a headphone socket on the current normal iPad. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    With the CCK you can use any class-compliant USB audio interface (also the most recent version of the CCK has a lighting passthrough so you can use lightning headphones/adapters as well) 

Or there are lightning interfaces like the SonicPort that fret mentions, or things like the Apogee One (can be had secondhand) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065

Cheers all - I like the look of the SonicPort (as it will save me forking out for a mic)....

Or I may just go for a 2017 spec ipad.....

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    RobDavies said:

Cheers all - I like the look of the SonicPort (as it will save me forking out for a mic)....

I've just bought a neqw previous-gen iPad Pro, mainly because I wanted the 3.5mm headphone socket.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    With the CCK you can use any class-compliant USB audio interface (also the most recent version of the CCK has a lighting passthrough so you can use lightning headphones/adapters as well)  

this version of CCK allows use of some interfaces that couldnt be powered directly from the Ipad ie my v1 2i2 scarlett - but using the power through method afforded by the mk 2 CCK - its works very well indeed ..
  • TTony said:
    RobDavies said:

I've just bought a neqw previous-gen iPad Pro, mainly because I wanted the 3.5mm headphone socket.  

Same here, I recently bought the 10.5 Pro. I've bought a Focusrite Itrack Solo which plugs into the lightning port. The USB-C seemed a headache so I stuck with what I knew.